Graphic Novels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graphic Novels

Today I went to the British Library exhibition, Comics: Art and Anarchy in the UK.

It is on until August, and well worth seeing. Some fab items for sale in the shop, too. I bought three books, could have bought a lot more.

Comment

Graphic Novels

Hewlett and Martin. (Tank Girl) are at the Library tonight.

Comment

Graphic Novels

A book I'm dipping into at the moment is Super Graphic by Tim Leong, which I picked up at the Comics exhibition at the British Library.

Some fascinating informatics about comics; readership of Marvel comics is apparently 93% male, who'd a thunk?

A great graph shows the affiliations of superheroes, another sets out the relative body weights of characters. A list of Eminem's comic book references. Pie charts comparing heroes' ratios of intelligence, combat skills, strength etc.

Worth picking up.  It's here on Amazon (for illustrative purposes).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Super-Graphic-Visual-Guide-Universe/dp/1452113882

Comment

Graphic Novels

That looks like a great book, MsD, I will try to pick it up at some point. I do love books about comics. The Sean Howe book about the history of Marvel, that I mentioned on the previous page, has got a Tumblr page. Apparently Marvel wouldn't give him licence to put any photos or pictures of any kind in his book. So he created a tumblr page. Fans of Marvel ephemera will love it.

On holiday last week I read Craig Thompson's Blankets, which I started about 6 years ago but never finished. It really is a tour de force, combining art and story in a really powerful way and really showcasing how an autobiography can be told through the medium of a graphic novel.

I think I read somewhere that, after publishing it, he and his parents fell out for quite a while, which I can well imagine. I think they hadn't realised he was no longer a Christian until reading the book. But I also wonder if they found out that he and his brother were abused through reading the book too.

I often identified with the protagonist in the story, having been through more than one long distance relationship in my late teens. And it was interesting to see him depict his relationship with his younger brother and compare it with mine. I did wonder, however, if many female readers would be able to identify and therefore enjoy Blankets as much as I did.

Comment

Graphic Novels

I have just taken possession of my signed copy of The Power of Tank Girl, and am very happy with it.

Comment

Graphic Novels

I've been reading Joe Hill & Gabriel Rodriguez's 'Locke & Key' and it weren't 'arf good.

Comment

Graphic Novels

Seconded. I only discovered it near the end of its run and I ploughed through the whole lot. If Lovecraftian stuff even vaguely interests you, read.

Comment

Graphic Novels

Or good teen films.

Comment

Graphic Novels

Got back to basics, the other day, buying 'The Best Of Judge Dredd' anthology for just £8 (20% off). One of the great things about working in a proper university now (rather than a college) is that it's got a bookshop downstairs from the library and they have loads of reductions ...and a decent graphic novel section. :-)

Comment

Graphic Novels

So, is anyone reading Multiversity? It's getting a lot of praise on various comics podcasts, but do you think it would be worth reading for someone like me, who generally likes Morrison's work but doesn't really care about the DC universe (or indeed know much about it beyond Batman and Superman).

Comment

Graphic Novels

Atomic Robo, one of my favourite series, is going webcomic. They're starting at the beginning and uploading several issues a week until May, when they start the new "book". There's also a Patreon you can back to get various behind-the-scenes extras.

Comment

Graphic Novels

I don't know any more about multiversity than you do, GY. Yes, it's had praise but I think it's as you suspect - primarily for long-term DC fans. I could be wrong though.

Talking of DC, I've been watching a lot of Teen Titans Go on The Cartoon Network. It's the classic 80s Titans line-up but don't expect it to be like the comic or, indeed, the previous TV series. It's pure comedy, focussing mostly on the daily life and routine of the 5 Titans. Basically they hang out a lot in Titans tower. Very smartly written with lots of slapstick. Lots of references (mostly visual) for the DC fans to geek out on but a quick check online tells me that most fans hate it. But if you like silly and funny and are not precious about your superheroes, you should give it a go.

Comment

Graphic Novels

The Complete Bloom County is in the Humble Bundle at the moment.

Comment

Graphic Novels

Old school Marvel zombies and rap fans will love this. I've got quite a few of those comics in that there pile.

Recent reading over the last few months:

Carnet de Voyage by Craig Thompson. After finally reading (and very much enjoying) Blankets I was intrigued to read his follow up, an autobiographical travelogue featuring some of the European countries Thompson was visiting in a Blankets signing tour. Loved it. I'm a sucker for his introspective, confessional style. Think I first read of it years ago on this thread so kudos (to WOM, I think). will probably get round to reading Habibi eventually.

Have read part 1 of the New Smithsonian Book of Comics: From Crumb to Clowes. It's a fairly decent comics anthology and the first part focuses on underground comix. Gilbert Shelton is about the only one of the original underground comix creators that I had read up to now. I was particularly taken with Down at the Kitty Kat by Spain. I read up about him too and he sounds an interesting guy. Anybody ever read anything else by him?

Finally, I have just bought the first trade of Sex Criminals by Matt Fraction, which I have heard great things about.

Comment

Graphic Novels

I've got the Aunt May vs Galactus one.

Comment

Graphic Novels

Sex Criminals starts strong but I'm not convinced by the turn it's taken recently. But that might just be because Fraction's been slow getting issues out (not just on this comic either), so it's been harder to keep focus.

Comment

Graphic Novels

Yes, it does start strong. Have recently read 1-5 and it's really, really good. Such a thoughtful, funny and different comic. I recommend it very highly. The premise (young couple who can stop time by achieving orgasm go on a crime spree) sounded interesting and original but I thought it would be played for laughs. But it isn't, although having said that it is one of the funniest comics I've read. Great art too, functional and detailed without detracting from the story, a la Dave Gibbons in fact.

Will definitely be buying 6-10 to see if the quality stays this good or, like gy says, not. I am pleased that it isn't a monthly comic per se, and they have a break between each story arc which will hopefully help with the quality control.

Comment

Graphic Novels

http://www.vertigocomics.com/comics/last-gang-in-town-2015/last-gang-in-town-1

Rufus Dayglo, Simon Oliver's new punk comic is out.

Telling you while I think of it .. I haven't got my copy yet and haven't got a list of stockists yet.

Edit: It's in Gosh! and Forbidden Planet, but not available online from them.

Comment

Graphic Novels

I've just started buying comics again after a gap of about 10 years. It was prompted by catching up on Phonogram which led me to the excellent The Wicked + The Divine.

Re above, I've read the first trade of Sex Criminals and really enjoyed it.

Comment

Graphic Novels

2000ad prog #2000 came out today. Also, there's a lot of 2000ad related signings at comic shops across the country, this Saturday I believe.

I read the first issue of Brian k Vaughan's paper girls the other day. I quite enjoyed it but I'm not sure if I'll continue with it, unless I can pick up the next few issues cheap. Buying the trade is an option but I've already got number 1 so I'd rather get the individual issues.

Comment

Graphic Novels

I've read the first trade, and I think you can't really make a judgment on it until you've read at least that far. To be honest, I'm still not sure if I'm really going to like it, other than that I've liked basically everything BKV has done. I'm intrigued, but I'm not as gripped as I was with the opening of Saga or Y or The Private Eye. I'll pick up the next trade, but I'm not ready to commit to monthlies yet.

Comment

Graphic Novels

That's useful information, gy, thanks. Yes, the first issue (some 40 pages) was certainly intriguing and, as you say it's brian k vaughan so always worth a punt. But, although intriguing, I wasn't sure if it was worth continuing with. Unless I can find the individual issues cheap, that is.

Comment

Graphic Novels

Working my way through the Alan Moore stuff i haven't yet read, leading up to his prose novel 'Jerusalem'. Anyone here started it yet?
                                                In the meantime, nice walk n talk with him here
                                                https://londonhollywood.wordpress.com/2016/09/22/if-you-read-only-one-alan-moore-jerusalem-interview-make-it-this-one/

Comment

Graphic Novels

Ooooh! Spookily appropriate: M.R. James tales being made into graphic novel.

Comment

Graphic Novels

I have a couple of friends who are Alan Moore fanatics and they both have commented positively on his new novel but neither have actually finished it yet.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X