Graphic Novels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Graphic Novels

I've run through a bunch this weekend, as I discovered that my library had received a bunch of new (to me) copies since last I checked.

Black Hole -lots of recommendations here and on the old board. Read it this morning on the train. Not really my thing, so I didn't really like it much.

League of Extraordinary Gentlemen vol.1 - I really thought I would like this. I didn't. (Cool 'retro' style artwork though.) Did not like it at all.

Sandman vol 1-3 Good, getting better. Feels far more similar to Swamp Thing than I would have expected.

Persepolis Quite good, basically on par with Maus I. Should I read the 2nd volume?

Usagi Yojimbo I don't remember who recommended this, but although it was the first one I read this weekend, it may be my favorite out of all of them. It's more than a bit Groo done seriously, but very enjoyable, something I'm not sure I'd ascribe to the others.

Comment

Graphic Novels

Usagi Yojimbo I don't remember who recommended this

That would have been me, Matej. Glad you liked it. There's loads of issues and the quality rarely dips below excellent.

Libraries are getting better and better about stocking a decent range of graphic novels, aren't they?

Comment

Graphic Novels

Jon wrote:
        Libraries are getting better and better about stocking a decent range of graphic novels, aren't they?
        It's an uphull struggle, trying to explain to otherwise savvy RDLs that buying volume 2 of the Essential Spectacular Spider-man, as a standalone title, really doesn't cut it.

But slowly, slowly, we're getting there...

Comment

Graphic Novels

RDLs?

Comment

Graphic Novels

sorry, Reader Development Librarians

Comment

Graphic Novels

Stewart Lee's interview with Alan Moore is rather ace: http://www.stewartlee.co.uk/downloads/chainreaction-slee-alanmoore.mp3

Comment

Graphic Novels

Bafflin, I have only now noticed your recommendations. I'll be searching out the Delisle books, particularly the one on China. Thank you.

I keep forgetting to check out this thread, so I've only just noticed your comment. How did you get on with it? I read the three in chronological order - China, North Korea, Burma - and they develop both in terms of his drawing style and how he tells the stories. I liked them all, but I'm glad I read them in that order, because the Burma one is my favourite.

One recommendation I haven't made on here (although I may have on the old board) is Hanco Kolk. He has a really wide range of drawing styles, from almost Asterix style to the more linear stuff in his "Meccano" series. There's a profile for him on lambiek's website.

Comment

Graphic Novels

Comica 2008

Comment

Graphic Novels

Are you going?

Comment

Graphic Novels

Probably not, G.O., I'm afraid. I've really got to watch the pennies, these days and I've already got a few commitments coming up, so this is a relatively low priority.

However, I thought I'd just flag it up for those who can go. There's certainly some interesting things on that bill.

Comment

Graphic Novels

Ooh, that sounds great. Thanks, Clive. I'll definitely be going to the Spiegelman talk and maybe the Kirby, although I'll be nursing a nasty hangover on that day.

Comment

Graphic Novels

Just got through Daredevil Legends 1, 2 & 4. I love Hornhead. And reading vol. 4 with the Typhoid Mary story transported me back to when I first started reading comics. I love Romita Jnr's angular art style and Nocenti's continuation of the "Daredevil can never be happy and all women that he loves must get fucked up horribly" thread that permeates the whole history of the comic.

Comment

Graphic Novels

I quite liked Gilbert Hernandez's Palomar stories.
                            http://www.amazon.co.uk/Heartbreak-S...6870063&sr=8-2

Comment

Graphic Novels

I love Romita Jnr's angular art style and Nocenti's continuation of the "Daredevil can never be happy and all women that he loves must get fucked up horribly" thread that permeates the whole history of the comic.

Unfortunately, the "how seriously can we fuck up Daredevil's life" thread is still permeating all these years later and it can get a little tiresome at times.

Heartbreak Soup I haven't read for years. I loved both Gilbert and Jaime's stuff and I'm sort of putting off rereading them just in case they're not as good as I remember.

I've just finished reading The Complete Alan Moore Futureshocks. It's really early Alan Moore, before Watchmen, Swamp Thing, V for Vendetta or Halo Jones even.

They're short strips from early 80s 2000ADs. Interesting to see some of his early steps as a comics writer.

Now, I must reread Watchmen before the film comes out.

Comment

Graphic Novels

I finally got round to reading Joss Whedon's Buffy-in-the-future comic, Fray. It's pretty good, though nothing spectacular. More than anything else, it means the most recent Buffy: Season Eight story arc makes a lot more sense to me.

Comment

Graphic Novels

I've had my beak in Acme Novelty Library 18 & 19 this weekend; they're both very bleak, with not many laughs at all (18 moreso than 19..) Amazing stuff though, I could look at Chris Ware's drawings until my eyes fell out, and like said before, they're very poignant. Crushingly sad stories of unhappy childhoods, and meaningless adulthoods.

I'm trying to find a number for the first one I read - it's the one with the red, black and gold-embossing cover, that turns up on Amazon just as "Novelty Library". I think that one is still my favourite, it dishes out a couple of serious laughs amidst the gloom.

Comment

Graphic Novels

dogbeak wrote:
                                    it's the one with the red, black and gold-embossing cover, that turns up on Amazon just as "Novelty Library".
                                    Number 16, the first Rusty Brown issue. I climbed on board with issue 3, bought on a whim in Austin, and quickly snapped up 1 & 2 on my return to the UK, and have had it on my pull list ever since. It's a now-yearly (if we're lucky!) highlight of my tiny life. Everyone should read Jimmy Corrigan...

Comment

Graphic Novels

I've got two items I'm thinking about buying with X-mas/Birthday/Bonus money, so I was wondering if anybody had read them and/or would recommend owning them:

The "graphic novel" edition of Zinn's "A People's History of American Empire"

and

Alan's War

Comment

Graphic Novels

Matej wrote:
                                        The "graphic novel" edition of Zinn's "A People's History of American Empire"
                                        I'm reading this right now! The story's good (obviously), but the artwork is a serious let down.

Comment

Graphic Novels

That's a real shame, I like that Zinn book.

Been given one called Laika by Nick Abadzis for Xmas (early gift-exchange when I still thought I was going to my mum's today) which looks fun. Good cover, with a cute l'il doggie.

Comment

Graphic Novels

I always reread this at this time of year:

Not only was Will Eisner a true pioneer in terms of comic-storytelling, he also had a great feel for Christmas; as demonstrated in his many 'Christmas Spirit' stories he did throughout the years. So it's fitting the new film will come out just after Christmas.

Happy Christmas to all OTFers, comic-reading or otherwise!

Comment

Graphic Novels

I can now highly recommend Laika; really beautiful in places, and a fascinating story.

Comment

Graphic Novels

delicatemoth wrote:
                                                I can now highly recommend Laika; really beautiful in places, and a fascinating story.
                                                It gave me that Salvador feeling - an anachronistic hurt that you weren't able to do anything to save her.

Comment

Graphic Novels

Sadly, The Spirit film is getting near universal poor reviews. I'll wait for the DVD.

Comment

Graphic Novels

I think the problem is that it's not the Spirit - it's Frank Miller doing an urban vigilante in a suit and domino mask, with a villain that shares a name and nothing more with one of the Spirit's villains, and a woman who will be nothing like the way Eisner wrote her. It's Frank Miller. Stupid Frank Miller. You liked Sin City? Idiot. 300? Doofus. You're to blame!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X