Library Clearance Sales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Library Clearance Sales

This is a slightly aimless thread, based on the lack of new posts, me being goofed-off on caffeine & really bored.

It was the Central Library’s traditional withdrawn book sale over the weekend, but I only caught the back end of it on Monday as I was at a funeral on Friday & went to Preston-Boro on Saturday. As they’re basically just throwing books at you it’s a great chance to buy a load of old rubbish you’d never normally get along with the odd real bargain.

This year I got that “The Fatal Shore” that Wyatt, I think, referenced in a recent Oz thread – I was very excited. Also a children’s History of Art, a guide book to Croatia, a made-up guide book to Molvania, David Icke’s guide to conspiracies (or somesuch), an Atlas of Man & Religion, a trashy book on scandals, a dip in and out of book about “the Cinema” and some others I can’t remember just now. To be fair, this is my worst haul for a few years. Just one and a half bags worth. Edit - others include "The Changing Face of Football - Racism, Identity & Multiculture in The English Game" & "Berlusconi's Shadow".

What makes this worse is I went to Whitby a couple of weeks ago & bound a load of remaindered bargains (“Persian Fire”, “Rubicon” and many many more) and raided the 2nd hand book shop too. I’ve read Lynsey Hanley’s “Estates” that I bought then, Harry Pearson’s book about wargaming, a pictorial history of the Korean War and I’m half way through Frederick Taylor’s “The Berlin Wall” and have others still to open – including a history of bubblegum pop.

But before that I had an unopened pile I was working on & was already reading “Kleiner Mann, Was Nun?” and a book about jokes in the old Soviet Bloc.

So, tell me about your library clearance bargains, unread books you’re trying to get started or just shout “STOP BUYING BOOKS!” at me.

Library Clearance Sales

"David Icke’s guide to conspiracies"?

Comment

Library Clearance Sales

Oh yeah, it's jolly thick too. I can't wait to get stuck into it - my dad's got it at the moment. I've worked with his cousin - Icke's, that is.

Disclaimer - I do enjoy reading stuff by illuminoids, the same as I've read the odd book on foreign policy by Richard M. Nixon. It doesn't mean I endorse their views...

Comment

Library Clearance Sales

The Exploding Vole wrote:
        "David Icke's guide to conspiracies"?
        My friend has that, it's completely fantastic...

Comment

Library Clearance Sales

From the brief flick I had through it, it seems like the classic illuminoid thing of identifying a couple of perfectly sensible problems in the world then going off on a bizarre yet revealing tangent. Which, as I type has made me feel rather guilty as it normally reveals anti-semitism or too literal a swallowing of ideology which isn't really the case here I suppose.

Comment

Working...
          X