James Ellroy, Blood's A Rover

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, the final volume of Ellroy's Underworld USA trilogy is out. I'm not reading any reviews of it. Anyone have it yet?

A profile/interview for the new book:
    Ellroy’s latest novel, the final installment in a trilogy about U.S. history in and around the Kennedy presidency, might have been easier to construct if he had done research on a computer (which he doesn’t own), picked up tips from other historical novels (which he doesn’t read) and settled for a breezy, economical tale, the kind that can be digested on a plane ride to Cleveland, instead of a 691-page doorstop with more characters than a Cecil B. DeMille epic and language that might shock a rapper.

But that’s not Ellroy. He needs to struggle. He needs to sweat, even if that means dedicating eight months to a 397-page outline before the writing process even begins. If the reader has to do the same, that’s just fine with him.

“You cannot write a book this big, this coherent, without superstructure,” he said. “It’s part of the dynamic of reading an Ellroy novel. You have to think. You have to come to the books with a clear head. I would rather that you read the book in fewer rather than many sittings because that approximates the obsessive state I was in when I wrote the book.”

Most days, he awakens at 5 a.m. after just three or four hours of sleep, pours himself a cup of coffee — the first of eight for the day — and mixes up a bowl of oatmeal. He’ll sit at his desk, surrounded by memorabilia from past books, and, with a black-ink pen, write in block letters on legal paper. He never moves on to the next sentence until the last one is perfect. Even then, he’ll pore over the draft with red ink in hand. When he’s finally satisfied, an assistant types it up (Ellroy never learned to use a typewriter) and Ellroy once again attacks the project with his red pen.

Mix in the occasional break for exercising in the bedroom or brooding in the living room, and you have a painstaking approach that Ellroy imagines might have been applied by Beethoven, whose portrait hangs in the living room aside black-and-white 1940s-era photos of his L.A. neighborhood. The painting, the only flash of color in his art collection, presents the composer as a burly brawler who could just as easily be the cover boy for a romance paperback.

“I aspire to be him,” said Ellroy, who ignores popular music. “He was fiercely determined.”

Rover reflects Ellroy’s aspirations of creating a memorable symphonic work with its four-act structure, recurring themes, powerful motifs and sense of rhythm. “I want to see an epic. I hate minimalism. I like grandeur. I like the arc of big lies. These are big people with big ideas.”

Have read American Tabloid and Cold 6000 - enjoyed the conceits in AT but the follow up failed to match it.

He seems to be full of machismo masochism so doing things the hard way is no surprise but that is kind of understandable given his troubled childhood. American Dog, the documentary about him is worth catching.

http://www.amazon.com/James-Ellroy-American-Dog/dp/B000Q66GYM

Hot Press,the Irish music mag. had an interview with him a couple of years ago - he came across as the type of loolah who probably has Karl Rove's portrait on the wall hiding behind Beethoven.

Comment

I loved both books - especially American Tabloid (probably my favourite book ever) and I'm agog with anticipation for the final part of the trilogy. Hard back out on 5 November - but when's the paperback versh going to land? I gots to know.

Comment

Yeah I think both American Tabloid and The Cold Six Thousand were great, great books. Ellroy is fantastic, and I'm tumescent with excitment at the release of this oe. Tumescent, I tell ye.

I very much doubt Ellroy is a Rove fan, as his disdain of fat, corrupt wankers seems to outweigh his seething right-wing vitriol.

Comment

I'm really looking forward to this too. Maybe even enough to buy a discounted hardback rather than wait for the paperback.

I'd also like to say I've never ever got this idea of him as a rabid right-winger: where does it come from?

ok, he's clearly not a 'liberal' in either the US or the more generic senses of the word, but the books offer a particular cynical take on things that's by no means comfortable reading for the Right, in my view.

Comment

I think that since he made no secret of his hatred of Bill Clinton, and saying that he voted for Bush in 2000. But I think you're right, FIGS. And as this interview (pre-Sept. 11) makes clear, I don't think he fits in one party:

You are moving away from crime and physical violence to psychological intrigue and politics. In what essential ways has the White House changed in the last 50 years? Where is America heading?
            I don’t know and I would never comment for attribution on the current political scene today. I’ll tell you, I voted for George Bush because I wanted to repudiate Gore and Clintonism and nobody hates Bill Clinton more than me unless it’s a wonderful American pundit, Bill O’Reilly, or the wonderful author of the Book of Virtues, William Bennett, or Christopher Hitchens, the writer for Vanity Fair. My only recent political occupation was hating Bill Clinton; now that Clinton’s out of office I don’t have much to do.

Well… best politician in the last 50 years?
            Harry Truman?

One thing you’d say to George W. Bush.
            Sign the Kyoto Accord.

Why?
            To protect the animals.

Your thoughts on gun control. . . . You are an advocate, aren’t you?
            No, I own 30 guns. I have a commemorative firearms collection. I think responsible people should be able to own guns for sporting purposes and home protection. I think assault weapons should be banned, I mean, you’re not going to go hunting with a machine gun. There’s no reason for that.
            He voted for Obama and said that Bush was "the most disastrous American president in recent times."

Comment

I'm 530 pages in; hoped to finish it tonight but Pays de Gascogne 2006 has deflected me.

Better than Cold Six Thousand; simpler than AT.

Wayne Tedrow Jr a wonderful character

Comment

Working...
              X