No announcement yet.

The Downfall of Harvey Weinstein?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Left most of his money to Terry Nutkins: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/jo...l-1126662.html

Comment

So did Gavin Maxwell I think.

Comment

https://twitter.com/emilysteel/status/937732207413682176

Comment

John Oliver grills Dustin Hoffman over sexual harassment allegations

Comment

Danny Masterson [finally] goes down.

https://www.thestar.com/entertainmen...legations.html

Comment

I can't bear to watch that, but the transcript is remarkable.

I'm a bit concerned with the bit where Oliver points out that Hoffman hasn't produced evidence that it didn't happen. What would that be? Especially if, as Hoffman says, he doesn't remember the woman at all? That's an impossible standard to meet. Having said that, if I had to bet on it, I'd be very confident that the accusation is 100% accurate.

Comment

I have a lot of sympathy for Hoffman's position on it, though. Context, I suspect, plays a huge role in some of these things that get said. And you can't dismiss that, 40 years ago, people said things they wouldn't say now. And did things they wouldn't do now. But Oliver makes no accommodation for any of that.

Comment

I'm really pleased with John Oliver not pandering, not just letting it slide and pretending there wasn't an issue. Which you've seen so many times recently where controversial people have their controversies conveniently ignored in public conversations, for the sake of expediency.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                    I have a lot of sympathy for Hoffman's position on it, though. Context, I suspect, plays a huge role in some of these things that get said. And you can't dismiss that, 40 years ago, people said things they wouldn't say now. And did things they wouldn't do now. But Oliver makes no accommodation for any of that.
                    That wasn't really Hoffman's defense, though, was it? And even if it was consistent with the cultural expectations of the time, the man still owes an apology.

Comment

In a sense, it was. He points out that it's much different when you're in the room, at the time, and know the tone and tenor of how things go down. Was there verbal horseplay? Was there a familiarity between the parties with which this was in keeping? Was it back and forth rather than one-sided. Remove all of that, and forty years later a random line takes on far greater weight than it had at the time.

Comment

One of Hoffman's accusers gives details that cannot be based on misreading of context.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/fe...column-1053466

Comment

I did feel uneasy about Oliver’s “evidence it didn’t happen” line but largely I thought his line of questioning and comment struck the right tone.

Hoffman’s continuous defence of it being “forty years ago” is disingenuous when there are accusations regarding his conduct in 1985 and 1991 as well.

Lord knows what De Niro was thinking sat in the middle of it, let alone Jane Rosenthal who Hoffman demonstrates some move on at one point.

Comment

Everytime I see this thread title at the top of the main page, I think "Oh shit, what has Harvey Fierstein done?"

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                              One of Hoffman's accusers gives details that cannot be based on misreading of context.

That's pretty conclusive and damning.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post

That's pretty conclusive and damning. And with that evidence presented, then he either needs to cop to it or come up with some really good reason to believe she made it up.

I just meant that society ought not going down the road of assuming every accusation is obviously true unless the accused can come up with evidence that it didn't happen. The Washington Post did a great job of demonstrating how to avoid that pitfall in the whole fake rape victim thing last week.

Comment

Indeed it is. Clearly he had/has issues separating people who are there to work with him from people who are there to 'please' him.

Comment

Al Franken has resigned as a senator (does that go here or on the Trump thread in World?).

Comment

Both, most likely

Comment

I'm not convinced that elite New York culture is more infested by pigs than its equivalents elsewhere, but there does seem to be a more constant reckoning going on here.

The long time Music Director of the Metropolitan Opera.

The Ballet Master in Chief (and legendary principal) of New York City Ballet.

No fewer than three of the most prominent hosts on the city's premier public radio station.

The long time editor of one of our leading literary magazines.

One of our best known playwrights and theatre people.

And today, one of our most prominent chefs.

Comment

"New York, New York, all the scandal and the vice"

Comment

The New Yorker's principal Washington correspondent.

Comment

The Mario Batali news didn't surprise me at all. Not that I was expecting him to be named, but when I read about it, my reaction was "yeah, I can see that."

Comment

Lizza looks like pharma-bro's long-lost slightly-less-evil twin.

Comment

It makes sense, I guess, that these things would all happen in a world that is interconnected as, I assume, the NYC culture scene is. If one guy is getting away with it without any consequences for himself, then others will see that's an option and do it. Meanwhile, the people on their boards and what not - who are probably often a lot of the same people for every different cultural institution - appear to have decided that they'd rather let it slide then lose the "talent," and I can see how they'd be incentivized to do that. If one balllet, for example, decides it's not going to put up with this shit, but all the other ones continue to tolerate it, then that ballet will just lose talented-but-awful people to those other ones and it won't really make a huge dent in the total amount of awfulness in the world because they'll just go do the same shit at that other place.

So it's helpful that this is all whipping up into a firestorm right now rather than just coming out drip by drip over many years and that women are talking to the press, rather than just suing and settling behind closed doors. Because now it's much harder to just quietly shuffle a bad-actor can just be quietly shuffled off to another job or city or just pay-off the plaintiff to make it go away.

It also makes me so glad that I work at home.

Comment

Another of our most prominent restaurateurs.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X