Famous artists you've never heard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Famous artists you've never heard

Or, at least, artists you feel you should have heard.

Johnny Halliday, for a start, who inspired this thread. Sun-Ra was incredibly prolific but I've never listened to any of his stuff. Ditto the Mahavishnu Orchestra. Don't remember hearing any Fairport Convention (although I have listened to Sandy Denny). And I can't recall a single Jeff Beck record other than Hi-Ho Silver Lining.

Tim Buckley, Wire, A Certain Ratio, Bogshed

Comment

Fela Kuti.

Comment

Everything since about 2003.

Comment

Don't think I've ever heard anything by Imagine Dragons. (And I still haven't knowingly heard anything by One Direction - though I don't suspect that they'd count as 'should have heards'.)

Meanwhile, I'm enjoying the idea of Bogshed as 'famous'.

Comment

Cliff Richard

Comment

You've never heard the massive US (and UK number one) hit We Don't Talk Anymore?

(Or indeed Devil Woman, which was also an American Top Tenner?)

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                You've never heard the massive US (and UK number one) hit We Don't Talk Anymore?

I don't think I have. Not knowingly? Were they in the Top 40 since 1983?

A lot of stuff that was big on the charts in the past doesn't get replayed on retro radio, while a lot of the stuff that we now associate with a given era and hear in films, etc, wasn't really that massive at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post

Oh, shit. It's you again...

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                    Cliff Richard
                    Or 'Shakey' for that matter. Also Robbie Williams and/or Bros.

Comment

I don't think I've ever heard any Tangerine Dream.

There are many influential* acts where I only know one track, such as Focus or Television.

*influential might be a better yardstick for this thread as I don't think 'famous' necessarily means 'ought to listen to', as noted with One Direction.

Comment

Originally posted by Stumpy Pepys View Post
                        Or, at least, artists you feel you should have heard.

Johnny Halliday, for a start, who inspired this thread. Sun-Ra was incredibly prolific but I've never listened to any of his stuff. Ditto the Mahavishnu Orchestra. Don't remember hearing any Fairport Convention (although I have listened to Sandy Denny). And I can't recall a single Jeff Beck record other than Hi-Ho Silver Lining.
                        This has to be profoundly generational and geographical. I'm familiar with all those, deeply so in the case of the Fairports, but — as Pebble kinda said — pretty much everything since 1983 is an audio blur.

Comment

I used to sit next to a guy who knew TONS about music, but every once in a while he'd expose a big blind spot. One was Big Brother & The Holding Company, which he thought was a gag. I was like "Uh...Janis Joplin." Another was Captain Beefheart, which he 'kept seeing mentioned' but sort of thought might be some kind of hoax.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                            I don't think I've ever heard any Tangerine Dream.
                            Them, and Can. Which, as a Kraftwerk fan, I'm apparently supposed to have heard tons of. (?)

Comment

I suspect there's a lot of Germanic stuff for me. Can, Focus, Einsturzende Neubaten, Neu. Also a lot of proggy stuff, and bands whose albums I always saw in the record collections of my dad's friends, like Camel or Caravan or Barclay James Harvest. And people who apparently filled stadia in America in the 90s and 2000s like Dave Matthews or Phish.

Comment

WOM, sort that out. Give the tracks Spoon, Vitamin C and Future Days a go, they might be the most accessible. Can are a lot Jammier than Kraftwerk, very loose and freeform. Definitely the funkiest white band ever.

Comment

WOM has just lost a fuckload of prog* points there. No Can or Tangerine Dream?

*Yes they are, and I hate the term "Krautrock"

Comment

Originally posted by Hot Pepsi View Post
                                    I don't think I have. Not knowingly? Were they in the Top 40 since 1983?

A lot of stuff that was big on the charts in the past doesn't get replayed on retro radio, while a lot of the stuff that we now associate with a given era and hear in films, etc, wasn't really that massive at the time.
                                    They were both seventies hits to be fair, but perhaps not so widely played on oldies stations - Cliff Richard was never much of a pin-up your side of the Atlantic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htZir_Taizg

(Someone else can post a link to Devil Woman.)

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                    Oh, shit. It's you again...
                                    You'd better believe it, sweetie.

Comment

Oh, and SB: give Neu! a spin, you might like it.

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
                                        WOM has just lost a fuckload of prog* points there. No Can or Tangerine Dream?

*Yes they are, and I hate the term "Krautrock"
                                        I know, but I'm largely on my own with prog. I basically ferret it out myself by running down 'best prog albums ever' lists. I have no mentor.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                          Future Days.
                                          Well, that's fucking stellar, that is.

Comment

Originally posted by San Bernardhinault View Post
                                            I suspect there's a lot of Germanic stuff for me. Can, Focus, Einsturzende Neubaten, Neu. Also a lot of proggy stuff, and bands whose albums I always saw in the record collections of my dad's friends, like Camel or Caravan or Barclay James Harvest. And people who apparently filled stadia in America in the 90s and 2000s like Dave Matthews or Phish.
                                            Hey trivia fans. My first job out of art college was working on Caravan's debut album cover. That's your next pub quiz sorted.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                              WOM, sort that out. Give the tracks Spoon, Vitamin C and Future Days a go, they might be the most accessible. Can are a lot Jammier than Kraftwerk, very loose and freeform. Definitely the funkiest white band ever.
                                              I got Can and Canned Heat mixed up there and was very confused.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                                Them, and Can. Which, as a Kraftwerk fan, I'm apparently supposed to have heard tons of. (?)
                                                You must have heard "Gloria" or "Baby, Please Don't Go"?

Comment

Good. Very good.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X