European Cup Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
    Aha, Hansa Rostock? In the tournament as Champions of East Germany but also playing in a united Bundesliga
    Yes, Hansa. One of at least ten clubs to play C1 and get relegated in the one season

Comment

There's a question within an answer if ever I saw one.

Rangers were punted out the qualifiers by Malmo in 2011-12 then demoted rather than relegated - but I'll offer them up.

Comment

Juventus presumably on the same lines as Rangers

Comment

By the way - that was a great question (and answer) about Hansa.

Just like that, we're on to 1992-93, the first ever Champions League:

And on the very first night of the Champions League proper (proud to say, I was there) goals were scored by players who, before that night, or before the end of their career ...

(1) had scored in a World Cup final and won another one.

(2) had scored in and won a Euros final.

(3) had scored in and won a Copa America final, and played in and won a World Cup final.

(4) had played in and won an Africa Cup of nations final and had scored in and won an Olympic football Gold Medal game.

Name those players.
          Last edited by Alex Anderson; 08-03-2018, 17:37. Reason: that's the men's Olympic football tournament

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post

The BBC live coverage of the 1992 final:

(1) Apart from the fact it was at Wembley, how did anchor Des Lynam manage to shoe-horn in another reference to England's World Cup win in his introduction to the broadcast?

(2) Which non-sporting historical event, related to both clubs, did commentator Barry Davies cite as the teams came onto the pitch?

(3) Which world famous sports star - not a footballer - was shown, in close-up, among the crowd?

(4) Which regular BBC pundit of the future played in the match?
            (1) 1966 was, at that time, the last year a (apologies) Spanish side had won the European Cup

(3) Seve.

Comment

By the way - that was a great question (and answer) about Hansa.

Just like that, we're on to 1992-93, the first ever Champions League:

And on the very first night of the Champions League proper (proud to say, I was there) goals were scored by players who, before that night, or before the end of their career ...

(1) had scored in a World Cup final and won another one.

(2) had scored in and won a Euros final.

(3) had scored in and won a Copa America final, and played in and won a World Cup final.

(4) had played in and won an Africa Cup of nations final and had scored in and won an Olympic football Gold Medal game.

Name those players.
              1. Rudi Voller 2.Marco Van Basten 3. Romario 4.Abedi Pele

Comment

Three out of four elguapo4. Great stuff. Just the last one you got wrong.

(4) is also the man who scored the first ever goal in the Champions League proper.

Comment

On the Soviet/Russian thing earlier: I won't make it a quiz question (enough already!) but I think Spartak Moscow was actually the first Russian (sic) club to even win a game in the European Cup, and it didn't happen until 1980. Blame the USSR's late arrival to the party, plus the dominance of non-Russian sides in their league.

Not that the international media cared much: "Russians shock Reds" was one headline after Tbilisi ended Liverpool's run ("Forest didn't count") in the competition.

Comment

Hey, Bob didn't write the headline, blame the sub (not Fairclough) ...

Comment

To be fair to the sub, Paisley does refer to them as Russians more than once in the copy.

At the time Russian/Soviet was pretty interchangeable, a bit like English/British for some Americans. And Paisley's geography knowledge was famously gained on top of a tank.

Daniel Amokachi is the outstanding answer, netting for Club Brugge on the first ever Matchday 1.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                        I won't make it a quiz question (enough already!)
                        I know. I'm just here for the nostalgic rambling, tee rex but these guys ... sheesh! They never write, they never phone - like a lonely old granny, just wanting a chat, I fear they'll never visit if I don't make them a nice big quizzy meal to devour ...

Me? I hate quizzes. Not interested. Barely even answer a question ...

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
                        ... but I think Spartak Moscow was actually the first Russian (sic) club to even win a game in the European Cup, and it didn't happen until 1980. Blame the USSR's late arrival to the party, plus the dominance of non-Russian sides in their league.

Not that the international media cared much: "Russians shock Reds" was one headline after Tbilisi ended Liverpool's run
                        Yup. One of my favourite ever nights at the football was Rangers eliminating the mighty Dynamo Kiev. Yet even BBC Scotland's painfully erudite Archie Macpherson was describing them as Russians that night ... although maybe it was brought on by the astonishment of watching the side which had lit up the Cup-Winners' Cup and World Cup the previous year suddenly bouncing the ball off their own players' arses ...

Comment

Originally posted by jwdd27 View Post
                          Daniel Amokachi is the outstanding answer, netting for Club Brugge on the first ever Matchday 1.
                          After 17 minutes. Correct, jwdd27. Europe's premier competition - great that a Nigerian got it up and rolling.

Comment

Juventus presumably on the same lines as Rangers
                            And Nuremberg makes three ...

Comment

There are a good few of the Juve style demotions in this category but there are a surprising number of Nuremburgs who simply managed to spectacularly fuck things up immediately after winning leagues

Comment

I thought "somebody French" was a good bet, and give myself 0.25 points for guessing Reims. But it took them 2 seasons (62-64) to get relegated (on pitch). Others got demoted onto the naughty step, of course.

Comment

Other teams who got regulated for financial reasons a year after winning the league are AC Milan and Barry Town

Comment

Fc Tirol Innsbruck won the Austrian league in 2002 and then promptly went out of existence entirely, so I'm not sure if they count. They didn't exactly get relegated.

(Last manager, a certain Joachim Löw)

Comment

This RSSSF page (scroll down to Nordic nonsense) lists all the champions relegated in the following season. Most of these aren't in Europe and of the ones that are many predate the European Cup, but presumably this lists most if not all the answers to seand's question
                                      http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/eedd.html

Also it brings up the names of such excellent teams as Stationery Stores, Roots Alley Ballers, and Violet Kickers

Comment

Great list, ad hoc.

Remember when we thought Leicester were gonnae win the fucking Champions League while getting relegated. Swap "demoted" for "relegated" and I was banging my head with a sudden realisation that's what Marseille, our page 93 sponsors, did. Why hadn't I remembered that??!! How could I forget??!! Especially when, technically, it could have meant my own team playing Milan in the 93 final instead of L'OM??!!

But Marseille didn't play in the European Cup/UCL the same season as they were relegated, did they Alex?! No. Coz, while they weren't stripped of their Champions League win, they weren't allowed to defend it (just like my own club with the 1972 Cup-Winners' Cup).

And then - the beautiful, typical, killer annotation: Marseille aren't even among the list of domestic champions who got relegated - or demoted - the following season because they were stripped of their 1992-93 Ligue 1 title. No-one was champion of France in 1992-93. Personne!

God that's so RSSSF. i.e. - that's so fucking accurate. That's why we all need the RSSSF. That's why all proceeds from this thread go straight to the upkeep of their website (apart from the 5% we send to UKIP, obviously - we love European football but Brexit means Brexit).

I mean, I was all ready to make a great joke (man, a killer joke) about Benin's champions of 2013 going down in 2014 ...

"If only JA Plateau's form HAD merely 'plateaued' the following season! Yeah! I mean, if only. Am I right ...?!!"

But the RSSSF notes explained - instantly - that JA Plateau's form the following season may indeed have plateaued. They were demoted to the third tier for refusing to play a game. They'll do lists on a light-hearted subject - but the RSSSF will get that shit RIGHT.

I knew about Man City. No-one else.*

Last edited by Alex Anderson; 09-03-2018, 10:29. Reason: *no caveats. No notes. I just didn't know.

Comment

This RSSSF page (scroll down to Nordic nonsense) lists all the champions relegated in the following season. Most of these aren't in Europe and of the ones that are many predate the European Cup, but presumably this lists most if not all the answers to seand's question
                                          http://www.rsssf.com/miscellaneous/eedd.html

Also it brings up the names of such excellent teams as Stationery Stores, Roots Alley Ballers, and Violet Kickers
                                          Shhhhhh, don't tell everyone about RSSSF. that was one of my primary sources alright but it's far from definitive. And I don't have a definitive list

Comment

I do like the idea that EP Sétif not only got relegated the year after winning the Algerian championship but also that same year won the African Champion's Cup. That's the kind of dedication that European clubs really don't have.

(But please let's just stick to European competitions or this thread, already spiralling out of orbit, will start heading for the far reaches of our solar system)

Comment

The recent flurry of posts hurried us past page 92, but for Alex’s sake if nothing else I’m gonna backtrack to 91-2, and my last live memory of the European Cup. Dundalk won the League of Ireland title in 1991, wrestling the title from the grasp of Cork City in typical gritty Dundalk style with a 1-0 win in Cork on the final day. The draw paired us with Honved. HONVED! Ferenc Puskas, Magical Magyars, the Galloping Major, the Iron Curtain. How impossibly glamorous, even given the terminal decline of Hungarian football and Honved’s recent renaming as Kispest Honved. This was still a ‘crack Eastern European outfit’ and no mistake. The first leg went well in Budapest… Ricky McEvoy (who would go on to score for Irish League side Bangor in Europe too, thus becoming one of the few Irishmen to score in Europe for teams from two countries) scored on the break, and Dundalk battled to a 1-1 draw. A good crowd turned up for the second leg in Oriel, certainly 5,000 plus if not quite the 17,000 that somehow squeezed in for that season’s pre-season friendly against Liverpool- back in the day when a pre-season friendly against Liverpool meant a game against Liverpool not some homeopathic Liverpool XI. Still, this had more gravity, more significance than any glamour friendly. And then we conceded two soft goals in the first 20 minutes. Game over. The disappointment was palpable. Still, we were Dundalk, it wouldn’t be long before Europe rolled round again. In fact it’d be 23 years before the big one was back in Oriel Park…. a single league title in 95 papered over the cracks of decline- and that was rewarded with a UEFA Cup spot during the disgraceful couple of seasons when the smaller countries were given a few bob to have their champions shoved straight into the UEFA.

Anyway, that disappointing tie with a mediocre Honved remains etched in my memory. Pisont and Negrau got the goals, I can still see the disappointment on goalkeeper Alan O’Neill’s face. When I’m at home I’ll put up scans of the programme and ticket and who knows given a suitable amount of time and boredom I may raid the archive for some vintage EC programmes.

Comment

Milan's relegation in 1980 was for its involvement in the initial Totonero match fixing/result influencing scandal, which isn't really "financial reasons" in my book.

Comment

Yeah, fair enough

Comment

No-one was champion of France in 1992-93. Personne!
                                                    And that’s not right, it should have been given to the second-placed club*, PSG. I suspect you know roughly why it wasn't awarded to PSG but if you don't, I can quickly give the reasons (well, my reasons anyhow) later this afternoon, just give us a shout.

[*A match-fixing scandal broke out in Poland at exactly the same time and the title was awarded to the third-placed club. The Independent: On the last day of the Polish season, LKS Lodz have to beat Olimpia Poznan by three more goals than Legia Warsaw's winning margin over Wislaw Krakow to win the championship. Lodz win 6-0, Legia 7-1. The Polish FA fine the four clubs pounds 18,000 each and award the title to third-placed Lech Poznan.. Ditto 2006 in Serie A: While Juventus were originally declared champions, this title was later revoked due to its involvement in the Calciopoli scandal, with Internazionale instead declared champions by the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) on 26 July 2006.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X