Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pisces, Aquarius, Capricorn & Jones Ltd.

The Monkees' best album (IMHO) turned fifty on Tuesday.

Here's quite a good blog on the subject.

Cuddly Toy, What Am I Doing Hangin' Round, Door Into Summer and, of course, Pleasant Valley Sunday. Give it a spin, you might like it.
    Last edited by Toby Gymshorts; 16-11-2017, 11:30. Reason: Lost track of the date

Looking forward to giving that a listen. I absolutely love Pleasant Valley Sunday and What Am I Doing Hangin’ ‘Round but don’t know the rest of the album.

Comment

Door Into Summer is a glorious piece of 60's pop. Hope you enjoy the album.

Comment

Now I listen back to Door Into Summer I have heard it before. It's a good song with a twist in the chords that means the resolution in the chorus is a bit strange to my ears.

Comment

I hope Taylor sees this thread, I'd like to read his POV.

Comment

Door Into Summer is one of my favourite Monkees songs. Pleasant Valley Sunday was Carole King, wasn't it?

Comment

And Gerry Goffin's lyrics, arguably mostly Gerry Goffin's lyrics

Comment

Is there a Head soundtrack album? Circle sky and the Porpoise Song are semi permanent earworms for me.

Comment

Randy Scouse Git is one of the greatest songs ever as well. It’s bananas. To think Dolenz ended up on the piss for years with bloody Ringo, making fuckin Metal Mickey. Had such a great voice.
                  Last edited by Lang Spoon; 16-11-2017, 18:48.

Comment

When I was young, the Timpani on Randy Scouse Git (or Alternate Title) absolutely terrified me. Strange child.

Comment

Oh and yes, there is a Head soundtrack album. It's on Google Play if that's your thing.

Comment

Cheers Toby, Strictly shitty i-tunes and cds round here, and iTunes of course doesn’t have it. I’ll be tracking down a physical copy so.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                          Randy Scouse Git is one of the greatest songs ever as well. It’s bananas. To think Dolenz ended up on the piss for years with bloody Ringo, making fuckin Metal Mickey. Had such a great voice.
                          He does have a great voice. Sometime In The Morning is my favourite vocal performance on a pop record.

Comment

Oh yes, that can make me almost break down greetin’, in a good way. Such a beautiful song. Definitely the best discovery of the cheapo 2cd Best of the Monkees I got a few years back.

Comment

I knew it before from an even cheaper tape compilation I had back in uni, but fuck Listen to the Band is so so good. I prefer that countrified rock to any freakin Gram Parsons. It’s when it cuts out and then comes back in for a final Nesmith shout of “Listen to the Band!” that really makes it.

For reasons unknowable that bit would without fail break everyone up in unstoppable laughter if tripping to the cassette.
                              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 16-11-2017, 20:58.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                “Listen to the Band!”
                                Baaa baaa badaba da daaa.

Comment

Mike Nesmith released an album called Listen To The Band, and it is well worth your time, money and attention.

Comment

That’s me lost on YouTube for the night. Never seen the 33 1/3 Revolutions per Monkee version (of listen to the band) before.

Comment

Nishlord should dig up a nineties piece of hell with Boyzone? doing “I’m a Believer” like a bunch of Louis Walsh Cunts. Would be an excuse for Taylor to digress into Monkeedom for a good 10 minutes on Chart Music.

Comment

Working...
                                      X