No announcement yet.

European Cup Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve loved it too, although I was usually running about 10 pages behind - best thread on here in a long time, so a massive thanks from me for keeping it rolling along.

Now, when’s the draw for next season?

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate les bleus View Post
      I’ve loved it too, although I was usually running about 10 pages behind - best thread on here in a long time, so a massive thanks from me for keeping it rolling along.

Now, when’s the draw for next season?
      June 12th

Comment

I meant to post this here on Saturday evening but I was in a rush to get it published and forgot - the story of why Liverpool's Umbro logos were covered for the 1981 final against Real Madrid.

Comment

And, just to get it back on track, a question I thought of yesterday (and apologies if it's been done, now that I think of it it surely have been):

When was the last time a defeated Champions League finalists didn't compete in the following season's competition?

Comment

Keylor Navas became the first player from a CONCACAF nation to win three winners' medals. How many other players born outside Europe have done this? The first three were Di Stefano, Rial and Santamaria. Any others? (I haven't looked beyond 1958; Rijkaard has three but was born in Amsterdam to a Dutch mother and Surinamese father, but there is at least one other very famous one born in Suriname).
            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 29-05-2018, 11:38.

Comment

Clarence Seedorf (four) was born in Suriname

Owen Hargreaves (Canada) has two

Comment

Messi Marcelo Casemiro for a start. Dani Alves?

Comment

Fourth European Cup final for me. A cracking and unexpected trip tbf. I was in Cardiff last year and, well, I couldn't even imagine that 12 months Liverpool would be facing Real Madrid in the final.

Didn't face any logistical issues as
                  - it was possible to book flights before the final whistle of the Liverpool-Roma 5-2. Went via Vilnius.
                  - match tickets were all figured out. We've been ready for this for the past 11 years.
                  - stayed with a mate in Kiev, so free and no hotel hassle.

The place is still remarkably cheap, a nice contrast to Basel. Struggled to spend money tbh. The locals were all nice and friendly but... there is that war in the East. I did at one point get a "you with your Leningrad accent", which I took as a compliment.

Played a media match on the morning of the final

The Ukrainians were better but they did have a former Dynamo Kiev captain and CL semi-finalist Vladislav Vashchuk playing for them

The atmosphere at the ground was actually pretty decent until the Salah injury and the crowd had its moments in the second half.

The most significant takeaway is that loads of Liverpool fans are Dua Lipa fans now.

An added bonus was a 6-pint stopover in Vilnius on the way back. What a lovely place.

So, yeah, we had a good one, despite the result. Having a cheeky look at Madrid flights for the beginning of June 2019.

Comment

Looks like you had a great time, sash, despite losing. Can you direct me to a podcast where you relate your trip?

Comment

Glad to hear you had a good time Sash - and a better view then my mate had from his Cat 2 seat where half the pitch was obscured by a roof support....

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
                        Looks like you had a great time, sash, despite losing. Can you direct me to a podcast where you relate your trip?
                        Ah, sorry, just going back to this now. I popped up here and there before and after the final; however, didn't do anything particularly thorough.

We did conduct an experiment with accommodation, though. As mentioned above, were staying with a mate but did have a hostel booked in town. Went down purely for the LOLz, were hit with a 5-fold price increase on arrival, argued with them and on the phone to the booking website for >2 hours, tried to help some French lads, spoke to some nice policemen (yes, the place called the police) who in the end couldn't do anything (as no pre-payment was made) and but eventually, after a rollicking from booking provider the hostel came back and agreed to accommodate us at the original price, at which point we cancelled. We do hope all the complaints get this hostel struck off.
                        The police and the people on the phone did say that this was happening all over the place. Certainly, this is the worst I've seen for a final/major tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Third rate les bleus View Post
                          Glad to hear you had a good time Sash - and a better view then my mate had from his Cat 2 seat where half the pitch was obscured by a roof support....
                          Just read back up the thread.... so, you were one of the cancelled ones. Urgh... That's pretty rough.
                          The airport coped OK from what we saw. Bearing in mind Athens-2007, we were worried that it was going to be a complete mess the morning after the final, so rocked up >2 hours before our flight but it was fine.

Comment

So, which is the only stadium to have hosted the Final and have its water cut off by the local authorities for failure to pay the bill?

Comment

Well this glorious thread died a death a couple of months ago, so I'll attempt to rekindle the fire with a question I don't have an answer for.... the Champions League 18-19 thread highlighted the possibility of Dutch runners-up Ajax qualifying for the group stage with Dutch champions PSV losing out in the qualifiers. So has it ever happened that a non-champion (and non-title holder) has played in the group phase while their national champion has not?

Comment

Belgium and Switzerland may be possible candidates, often having had two decent teams with one in each Q-path.

Comment

Though that changed not many years ago as their rankings increased in fact. By and large the teams coming through the League route are from nations whose champions qualify directly. Will have another look for some exception(s).

Comment

I think a holding answer is 'not since 2009-10, when the two separate paths were introduced'.

Comment

And a BETTER answer is that in the very final season of a single path, 2008-09, it happened!

Fenerbahçe, the Turkish runners-up, navigated a qualification path of MTK Hungária followed by Partizan Belgrade to reach the group stage.
                                      Galatasaray, the Turkish champions, lost to Steaua București in the final qualification round.

Comment

My reading of this season's format is that there are four associations, 12-15, that have teams in both the champions and league qualifying paths. That may be more than in the past due to the automatic qualifiers being increased from 24 to 26.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018...ampions_League

However, the four runners up play off in the 2nd qualifying round, with the two winners being joined by six clubs from associations 6-11 in the 3rd round. This means each club has a maximum 25% chance of progressing while the champions have a 50% chance of progressing provided 14 and 15 get through the third round. In theory their chance is actually higher than that because they are playing champions of lower ranked associations like Serbia and Croatia.

The associations this year were Netherlands, Austria, Greece and Switzerland, of whom Greece and Netherlands still have both their runner up clubs left in and all four still have their champions left in.

Comment

Yes, indeed the champions of countries ranked 12 and 13 (PSV and Young Boys) only have one qualifying hoop to jump through, whereas their runners-up need to to navigate 3 rounds.
                                          Thankfully Kevin did most of the heavy lifting in finding at least one example from this unusual nether-region of countries where both champions and runners-up had to negotiate qualifying, but only the latter succeeded.

Comment

Greetings from Lerkendal Stadion, where Cork City are going to try to overturn a 2-0 first-leg defeat against Rosenborg.

Having done similar when City played Legia last month, I have used the occasion to write about Rosenborg's kits.
                                            Last edited by denishurley; 16-08-2018, 18:32.

Comment

By my reckoning Red Star's qualification makes Belgrade the 18th city to be represented in the Champions Leaguegroup stage by more than one club (three cities have been represented by more than two).... so who's gonna compile a list of the 18 then, eh?

Comment

Good question Sean - if that doesn't bring Alex back from partial retirement then I don't know what will.

Some of these are a bit guessy as I don't actually recall whether the second 'big' team from that city has actually made the group stage.

London
                                                Manchester
                                                Rome
                                                Milan
                                                Moscow
                                                Madrid
                                                Glasgow
                                                Seville
                                                Turin

Now I'm struggling. Vienna could be a possibility and maybe Budapest? I don't think Espanyol ever made a group stage, nor 1860 Munich, nor Genoa. How about Dinamo Bucharest, did they ever make it alongside Steaua? I remember Liverpool playing Levski Sofia, though that could've been a qualifier. Hmm.

Comment

Ffs - Istanbul! Athens!! Lisbon!!!

Comment

Dinamo have never made the group stages and nor have any other Bucharest team (other than Steaua)

Athens at a guess. Zagreb? Prague?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X