No announcement yet.

Famous artists you've never heard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am not sure that I have heard Carole King, Maze or Bread.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
      Good. Very good.
      I was worrying that your Canuckness would ruin it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bordeaux Education View Post
        I was worrying that your Canuckness would ruin it.
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FEW5mh7iAI

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
          Well, that's fucking stellar, that is.
          Then get your ears around the Tago Mago lp, pronto. The second side I’m not sure many folk actually listen to, but the first 4 tracks... Imperious.

And download the track Mother Sky, and You Doo Right, and... (fuck everything to Future days is golden, and a couple of the later albums have good moments as well.

And like Toby said, Neu! Best driving music ever is Hallogallo (I don’t drive, but it sounds perfect as a passenger going down a motorway.

Comment

Cheers. I'm on it.

Comment

One of life’s simple pleasures. Turning folk onto Can.

Comment

Tapestry is a perfect album. You can survive without Bread, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                  Don't think I've ever heard anything by Imagine Dragons.
                  Who the fuck are...

Considering a lot of my taste is 80s and 90s Indie Central, I don’t think I’ve ever heard anything by Felt, My Bloody Valentine or Belle and Sebastian.

It would hardly be possible to avoid hearing individual tracks but I’ve never heard a David Bowie album.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                    Fela Kuti.

Lady is a great tune. Lyrics and message, not so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Furtho View Post
                      Who the fuck are...
                      I'm not a fan, but my kids are. You could do a lot worse than Imagine Dragons. Try 'Radioactive' and 'Believer'.

Comment

I hate imagine dragons. There is no current kidpop act that I dislike more than them.

Comment

Youse could just be making up words now. Contemplate Hydras. My mum has more idea of the charts than me.
                          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 07-12-2017, 01:02.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                            I hate imagine dragons. There is no current kidpop act that I dislike more than them.
                            Actually that's not true. For one fleeting idyllic moment I'd forgotten about Ed Sheeran

Comment

Imagine Dragons seem harmless to me. I suppose they might be irritating for their very safe and mainstream version of trying to be "edgy" and "alternative". I consider them to be a continuation of Maroon 5 - a band that I don't see the point of and can't understand why it exists, but not actually harmful.

Ed Sheeran, though, I can fully agree about. There is genuinely no act I dislike more.

Comment

They are harmless. But utterly utterly so. They don't even really have tunes. Even Sheeran has tunes

Comment

You must have heard "Gloria" or "Baby, Please Don't Go"?
                                  Add my favorite THEM tune to your new playlist.

Comment

Good choice but I'm totally down with Mystic Eyes Here in combo with Gloria at the Music Hall de Paris (?) in front of the oddest audience demographic you're ever likely to come across.

Comment

Love "Les Them". Reminds of listening to Spanish radio djs back in the day introduce "Los The"

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                        Fela Kuti.
                                        Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                        Lady is a great tune. Lyrics and message, not so much.
                                        Expensive Shit; He Miss Road; I.T.T.; Water No Get Enemy; Unnecessary Begging; Teacher Don't Teach Me Nonsense; Zombie ... those are all a bit more palatable message-wise. I fucking love Fela (apart from the misogynistic bits).

Gentleman is probably my favourite of the lot, though.

Tomorrow, I shall go through a few of the above recommendations for Can. I haven't heard quite a few of the artists already mentioned above, at least not knowingly.

Comment

I know absolutely sweet FA about Imagine Dragons - they sound wretched, but it's mainly the name itself that puts me off. (These groups have such crap monikers, eh? I mean, 'Clean Bandit' - there's another one.)

Maze I'll buy (in this sense), but you've never heard It's Too Late or It Might As Well Rain Until September (CK) or If, Make It With You or Guitar Man (Bread)? (Leave it, WOM...)

Comment

Everything I Own is the only essential Bread track I'm aware of.

Comment

"Make It With You" surely has played in a zillion movies and TV shows. Of course, if one doesn't know who it's by, one won't be aware it's Bread.

Comment

But would nevertheless then have heard Bread, thereby capsizing one's argument. (Although BoE did say 'not sure', to be fair to him.)

It won't be for everyone, but Lost Without Your Love remains one of the most heartbreaking songs I've ever heard.

('Essential' - hoo ha.)
                                                Last edited by Jah Womble; 07-12-2017, 10:38.

Comment

'Guitar Man' used be the go-to track over the CEEFAX pages

'If' was a No. 1 for Telly Savalas

Comment

...which in turn was rapidly spoofed by Yin & Yan for a #25 chart appearance.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X