No announcement yet.

Squad Numbers I Feel Comfortable With

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must be, unless these (unsubstantiated, I must add) rumours about Oxlade-Chamberlain taking 99 at Liverpool come to fruition.

Comment

They haven't, he's taken 21.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
        Sanches takes 85 for Swansea, current highest in the PL/FL?
        Swansea have tweeted now that the PL have rejected 85 and he'll wear 35.

Comment

Oh, hang on, apparently the PL have rejected Sanches' choice of 85 so he's taken 35 instead (which was already in his twitter handle so I can't understand why he didn't take it in the first place).

Comment

The Premier League claim that numbers must be consecutive and close to the current highest squad number. Which are two different things. The rules obviously don't apply to Man City, for whom Iheanacho wore 72, and for whom the record holder, Jose Angel Pozo (me neither) wore 78. Alexander-Arnold (#66 at Liverpool) is probably the highest profile high number at the moment.

Comment

Swansea have resigned Wilfred Bony, who will wear number 2.

Comment

Jordan Ayew had 3 last year. It's just stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Gerontophile View Post
                  Swansea have resigned Wilfred Bony, who will wear number 2.
                  He claims he has chosen 2 as it is the second time he has been at the club.

Comment

Swansea definitely have the strangest attitude towards squad numbers in the top flight.

Comment

Has Ayew switched from the 3 shirt then, or do we face the prospect of Swansea seemingly fielding their full backs up front this season?

Ah - switched to 18, a small mercy that.
                      Last edited by Ray de Galles; 01-09-2017, 09:10.

Comment

9 is currently free at Swansea as well.

I do feel there's a need for another administrative body in addition to the the Dubious Goals Committee and the Pools Panel The Dubious Squad Numbering Panel, perhaps?

Comment

Yeah, obviously Llorente vacated the 9 shirt and Bony replaced him so his choice of 2 is just willfully perverse.

I am willing to serve on the Squad Numbering Panel as long as we can schedule our meetings so as not to clash with those of the Change Kit Usage Committee.
                          Last edited by Ray de Galles; 01-09-2017, 11:51.

Comment

https://twitter.com/RedAndWhite11/status/929413890097721345

Comment

Clapton had a number 99 playing on Friday night. This is in the Essex Senior League which is the ninth tier and where I've never seen anything other than 1-11 before.

Bloody loonie lefties.

Comment

It's handball so not an exact parallel but we have everyone buy their own kit. So you're responsible for washing etc. It does mean that we have 50+ different shirt numbers.

Comment

Has anyone ever worn number 69?

Comment

Yes, I was at an early season League Cup tie between Oxford United and Cardiff when I still followed the latter and a fringe player on the visitors bench had the 69 shirt. I think it may have been mentioned on this thread.

Comment

I like to think that Steve Heighway would take number 61 if he were playing today.

Comment

Joe Root would be 66

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                          Joe Root would be 66
                                          He already is.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
                                            Has anyone ever worn number 69?
                                            When Bixente Lizarazu rejoined Bayern, he took 69 - his rationale was that he was born in 1969, weighed 69 and was 1.69m tall.

Comment

Another punny one - baseball player Johnny Neves:

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                                He already is.

I'm no cricket fan but [/APPLAUSE].

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
                                                  I'm no cricket fan but [/APPLAUSE].
                                                  I can't find a picture, but Owais Shah had 69 on his shirt (before moving to 3). With the font they used at the time, it did look like a tribute to Jimmy Pursey's lot.

Comment

One of the current Arsenal squad wears number 69, though I'm not sure who - he came on against Doncaster in the League Cup. I remarked at the time it was the first time I'd seen the number on a shirt when the wearer wasn't participating in a stag-do.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X