Rockinnreelininaucklandnewzealand - Rugby 2017

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
    It was only the loosehead who was new for me Ray. They got blown away in the second half.

Zebre beat Ulster at home.
    I’m sure you’ve watched more Pro12/14 than me, even then I was shocked at how callow the Blues side seemed. They actually seemed to cope well in the early stages I saw before leaving for the football but it was clear they’d struggle to hold out.
    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 01-10-2017, 00:47.

Comment

Watching the PRO14 and club rugby in England it really has become a 23 man game which means that, imho, shock results and surprises are becoming so much rarer. This is something that needs to be addressed otherwise the game is going to become unwatchable in the second half when 16 substitutions are made breaking up any continuity in the match. The Scarlets Connacht match was a classic example of that, the first half was magnificent whereas the second was tedious.

Comment

Rhys Webb has confirmed he's leaving the Ospreys at the end of the season to try his luck in France with Toulon.

Another player leaving Wales at the end of the season is the hugely impressive Scarlets lock Tadhg Beirne. He's off to Munster on a two year deal to try to get into the Ireland team.

Comment

A decent east Wales derby in the PRO14 with the Dragons currently leading the Blues.

Comment

Blues 10 Dragons 21 at half time and thoroughly deserved.

This is a team ravaged by injuries with basically the same set off players to last season, except a certain Gavin Henson, but a new coach who's given the team a defence and belief.

Comment

The second half was a totally different story with the Dragons blowing up after 50 minutes and having no realistic bench alternatives to call on. They did score a bonus point try at the death but lost convincingly.

In other games Glasgow beat the Cheetahs in SA, Ulster beat Connacht and Edinburgh edged Zebre.

Tomorrow sees the last round of games before European rugby makes its return.

Comment

Scarlets beat the Ospreys by a point at the Liberty but outscored them by three tries to nil.

Europe next week is going to be horrendous for the Ospreys, Clermont followed by Saracens.

Comment

I’ve often wondered, what are/were Exeter’s traditional colours? I’m presuming not the all black they seem to have sported in their top flight era but I may be wrong.
                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 08-10-2017, 13:08.

Comment

There's very scant visual evidence on line that I can find, but black and white seem to have featured for a long time.

Their corporate hospitality club is called the 1905 Club and prominently features this photo of the original All Blacks playing Devon in that year

Comment

According to wikipedia, that photo is of the match where the press report had the all backs/All Blacks confusion, which generated New Zealand's nickname.

That is one of the New Zealanders playing in a hat, isn't it??

Comment

I’ve coincidentally just seen that there’s a programme about their rise through the leagues on BT Sport this afternoons so I’m recording it hoping for some evidence.

Comment

Janik, yes

Comment

I’m watching Biarritz Olympique host Massy in Pro D2

It has been a long drop from their European heights

Comment

Just bought tickets to take my wife and boy to Harlequins v La Rochelle in the Champions Cup next weekend so may watch the latter host Racing later as research. Saracens v Franchise RFC on now, the English Premiership’s two must unlikable sides - mainly watching to see how Liam Williams is doing.

Comment

Doesn't look like much of a contest at the moment (it's on NBC Sports on-line over here).

Comment

Good, hopefully Franchise’s dreadful start to the season is evidence of the Coventry/debt-loading model going sour quickly.

Thomas Young’s having a good game, mind. Must be looking at a Welsh cap or two in the Autumn (or will he fall foul of the wild card policy? I see speculation that the WRU may switch that for a 60 cap rule like Australia have). I got confused watching yesterday’s highlights earlier when Leicester had a Thomas Youngs listed on their bench and momentarily thought Dai had let his son go. When did Tom Youngs’ name start being listed so formally?

Comment

Originally posted by Ray de Galles View Post
                                    Good, hopefully Franchise’s dreadful start to the season is evidence of the Coventry/debt-loading model going sour quickly.

Thomas Young’s having a good game, mind. Must be looking at a Welsh cap or two in the Autumn (or will he fall foul of the wild card policy? I see speculation that the WRU may switch that for a 60 cap rule like Australia have). I got confused watching yesterday’s highlights earlier when Leicester had a Thomas Youngs listed on their bench and momentarily thought Dai had let his son go. When did Tom Youngs’ name start being listed so formally?
                                    He doesn't fall into the Gatland's law category Ray. He won't get picked as Lydiate is back is my prediction.

Seb Davies of the Blues is apparently the Scarlets favoured replacement for Beirne.

Comment

Young worked hard all game, but I suppose he had to in order to pick up the slack from that waste of space Haskell.

Comment

Ha ha, the Sky commentator was revoltingly oleaginous about Haskell’s shit season so far. His quote was along the lines of “Haskell has led the post mortems in team meetings this week about Wasps’ disappointing campaign so far...even though his own form has not reached his usual high standard so far.”

It’s not as if he’s ever been much more than a garbage excuse for an elite level rugby player, he’s just got less quality players around him right now to cover it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                          He doesn't fall into the Gatland's law category Ray.
                                          Why’s that, because he didn’t come through (and therefore leave) the Welsh system?

Or have I misunderstood you?

Comment

Why’s that, because he didn’t come through (and therefore leave) the Welsh system?

Or have I misunderstood you?
                                            He wasn't offered and then refused a contract with a Wales region.

Iirc Faletau, Roberts, North and Priestland are the only four currently affected. Biggar and Webb will be from next season and Moriarty is a potential victim of this depending on what offers are put on the table for him as his Gloucester contract ends this season. The Scarlets want him and the WRU look like they'll put him oin a central contract.

Halfpenny was another who was under this law but he ran out of options and ended up back in Wales.

Williams at Gloucester came through the Scarlets system but as no offer was on the table from Wales be moved to Gloucester and is unaffected.
                                            Last edited by Antepli Ejderha; 08-10-2017, 20:19.

Comment

So those who have never signed a Welsh region or central contract or entirely free to be picked over the quota?

But generally they aren’t?

Comment

Cushions at the bottom of the posts are getting bigger. South Africa got a try on one at the weekend. Saved themselves a yard.

Comment

I’m obviously not a fan of the nationality switch angle but this is otherwise an interesting and heartening story :

Republic of Ireland-born Ian McKinley, who lost the sight in his left eye six years ago, has been included in Italy's squad for three Tests in November.

Edit : though it turns out it’s not that new a story as McKinley was also called up for Italy’s squad in the summer.
                                                  Last edited by Ray de Galles; 11-10-2017, 09:05.

Comment

I’m assuming UA can help me with a potentially dumb questions here. Much like I am never sure with Toulouse/Stade Toulousian, which is the more correct way (i.e. the one their fans would use) to refer to La Rochelle/Stade Rochelais?

Comment

Working...
                                                    X