Famous artists you've never heard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
    Actually that's not true. For one fleeting idyllic moment I'd forgotten about Ed Sheeran
    Sometimes the therapy takes longer to fully work.

Comment

The Pogues, apart from that Christmas song that I didn't like at all, so I wasn't dying in hearing any more.

Stone Roses

Captain Beefheart, since they were mentioned earlier.

I wouldn't be able to identify any Iron Maiden or other metal bands apart from Metallica.

Also mentioned earlier, Robbie Williams. I don't think he made it big in America. I guess he lives in LA, though, so maybe I'm wrong and I heard one of his songs in a commercial or something like that and didn't know it was him.

Current big rock bands--Kings of Leon, Imagine Dragons, Chainsmokers, etc. No clue what they sound like.

Any major country star that is hugely famous in most of the US, but I think a lot of liberal coastal elites like me would be in the same boat. Brad Paisley? Florida Georgia Line? I have no idea.
      Last edited by Incandenza; 07-12-2017, 14:27.

Comment

Captain Beefheart (Trout Mask Replica, specifically) is something you really have to want to do. The first pass is - for want of a better term - virtually unlistenable. I mean, 'challenging' doesn't quite do it justice. It's experimental/art/math rock with really messy time signatures and convoluted structures. If you persevere and listen all the way through a few times, it reveals itself and is quite rewarding. But it's work, no doubt.

I'm not really selling it, am I?

Comment

The Spotlight Kid and Clear Spot are a bit more accessible. I find those albums quite nice.

Comment

'Difficult Beefheart' is something of a myth imo. I'm assured that when I was a small child he and his group were my favourite music, until I grew old enough to want to distance myself from my parents' stuff. There's rhythm and melody there alright.

As well as Wouter's examples, Safe As Milk is a superb psychedelic pop/blues album. Unconditionally Guaranteed and Bluejeans N Moonbeams are slick pop/rock albums; the man himself was dissatisfied with them but the former is very good in places.

WOM doesn't mention that Troutmask is absolutely bursting with tunes, often three or more to a song. It's the only double album I can think of with no fat whatsoever.

Comment

That and Moonlight on Vermont are the two I can listen to without having to really try hard. Most of the rest sounds like what other people must hear from Hex Enduction Hour while I’m boogying to Deerpark. I’ve got to be in the mood and willing to make the effort. A terrible bastard and Troutmask Replica was recorded under conditions of horrible cruelty, but then we have this fractured gem.

Mark E Smith sounds truly malevolent, but I’ve given up expecting musicians to be Politically Sound or decent people.

Billy Ocean is supposedly one of the nicest men alive (my ma had to finally usher him out of the local theatre box office after about 45 minutes of natter while he was introducing himself to the staff so she could sell the bloody tickets and he wouldn’t be late onstage). Wouldn’t give his records house room but.
              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 07-12-2017, 20:58.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                Actually that's not true. For one fleeting idyllic moment I'd forgotten about Ed Sheeran
                Fucker’s an MBE now.

Comment

Originally posted by delicatemoth View Post
                  'Difficult Beefheart' is something of a myth imo.
                  A myth in what sense? You think TMR is an accessible/ unchallenging listen?

Comment

Have you heard Aumgn on Tago Mago yet, WOM? I know folk who claim to get a groove to that. There’s nothing to grab onto. At least Beefheart has hooks, Stockhauseny/musique concrete seems a whole new level of Difficult to my ears. Rule 1 of old Melody Maker was that whatever Simon Reynolds was describing didn’t sound as good as the prose. But I mostly had deaf ears back then, mostly.
                    Last edited by Lang Spoon; 08-12-2017, 00:07.

Comment

Don't think I have ever heard any Soft Machine or Aphrodite's Child.

Comment

Only heard Shipbuilding and the “Lights In My Brain” sample track by Ultramarine when it comes to Wyatt or Soft Machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                          Have you heard Aumgn on Tago Mago yet, WOM? I know folk who claim to get a groove to that. There’s nothing to grab onto. At least Beefheart has hooks, Stockhauseny/musique concrete seems a whole new level of Difficult to my ears. Rule 1 of old Melody Maker was that whatever Simon Reynolds was describing didn’t sound as good as the prose. But I mostly had deaf ears back then, mostly.
                          Downloaded TM today, and am listening to it right now as I sort out the mess in the basement bedroom (part of the aforementioned basement reno). Still getting my head around it. The album...not the mess. I came to terms with it months ago.

Comment

Lang Spoon wrote:
                            Billy Ocean is supposedly one of the nicest men alive (my ma had to finally usher him out of the local theatre box office after about 45 minutes of natter while he was introducing himself to the staff so she could sell the bloody tickets and he wouldn’t be late onstage). Wouldn’t give his records house room but.
                            If you're referring to The Going Gets Tough etc I agree, but Red Light Spells Danger..? Love really Hurts Without You..?

Comment

Aye the Goat on a Boat does it for me too. Top notch soul pop

Comment

Not only have I never knowingly heard anything by the Grateful Dead, but I have really no idea what they're *supposed* to sound like.

Comment

Yeah, I can't count the number of times people have thought they're like...death metal or punk or goth or something because 'Grateful Dead' sounds morbid or edgy. They're, in many ways, like a funkier Eagles.

Now, I'll never forgive myself for writing that, because I loathe the Eagles, but the Dead's sound is generally Light Rock / Americana, but has also touched on country, bluegrass, blues, psychedelia and pop. But then they were around for 50 years, so they did a bit of everything.

[I'd bet a pint that you've heard 'Truckin' at least once in your life. The Dead did reasonably well in the UK in the early '70s, so I'd imagine there was some airplay happening.]
                                  Last edited by WOM; 08-12-2017, 12:14.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                    A myth in what sense? You think TMR is an accessible/ unchallenging listen?
                                    More so than you suggest, sure, but I was mainly pointing to the existence of Safe As Milk, Clear Spot and Unconditionally Guaranteed. And Strictly Personal. If music's accessible to a child I find it hard to accept inaccessibility as a valid comment.

Add me to the folk who've never heard Bread or Ed Sheeran, and also Pearl Jam.

Comment

Originally posted by My Name Is Ian View Post
                                      Not only have I never knowingly heard anything by the Grateful Dead, but I have really no idea what they're *supposed* to sound like.
                                      From my highly limited knowledge, the records are quite accessible, but the live shows are a different matter entirely.

Comment

Well, depends if you like 4 minutes songs that are stretched out to 23 1/2 minutes, with shit-tons of noodling guitar work, drum solos, people walking off stage, walking back on, walking off, re-tuning their bass, etc.

Mrs WOM's patience was tested.

Comment

Originally posted by Incandenza View Post
                                          Captain Beefheart, since they were mentioned earlier.
                                          'He' (ie, Don Van Vliet) - The Magic Band were his group, of course. Worth checking out, IMO, but something of an acquired taste. ("His music used to make me feel sick" - P J Harvey.)

Originally posted by Felicity, I guess so View Post
                                          Lang Spoon wrote:

If you're referring to The Going Gets Tough etc I agree, but Red Light Spells Danger..? Love really Hurts Without You..?
                                          Red Light Spells Danger is great.

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                                          Fucker’s an MBE now.
                                          Massive bell-end? [/obvious]
                                          Last edited by Jah Womble; 08-12-2017, 14:45.

Comment

I think that the only Pink Floyd song that I've heard in its entirety is "Another Brick In The Wall Part 2". Never listened to Dark Side of the Moon. No desire to. I've heard bits of some others.. "Money", for instance but I couldn't pick anything else out of a lineup.

Comment

Led Zeppelin is another one. When "Waynes World" and there is the "No Stairway To Heaven" joke in the guitar shop, I was the only person in the cinema who didn't get it. To me, that song is sung by Rolf Harris.

Comment

Stairway to Heaven, meh. Well, it's fine, but Led Zep are at their best when they're crunching it.

Comment

I've never knowingly heard anything by Kanye West, Stormzy , Metallica, Sleaford mods, alt j,Tupac or Marilyn Manson apart from his cover of tainted love, I probably know songs by all of them but haven't made the connection

Comment

Thanks for the schooling on Mr Ocean. He was just the geezer with shit songs for shitter Michael Douglas movies in my head. Had no idea Love Really Hurts was him.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X