European Cup Trivia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday Quiz: FOREIGN PLAYERS:

While teams once contested the European Cup final with, at most, one or two (officially) foreign players in their side, the Champions League era often sees the finalists with more foreign players than natives in the side. Real Madrid kicked-off in Cardiff in June fielding a Costa Rican, two Frenchmen, two Brazilians, a German, a Croat and some Portuguese bloke. Then Gareth Bale came on.

On that theme ...

I want the team, the year, the foreign association/country and - purely for fun and tie-breaking purposes - as many of the relevant players as you care to name.

1: Only club to start the Final of the European Champion Clubs' Cup/UEFA Champions League fielding no native players.

2 (a): Only club to end the Final with more than half of their players on the pitch from the same foreign association.

(b): the other three times a team has begun the final with four players from one particular foreign association.

Comment

sorry - overlapping Friday quizzes - ad hoc's is better:

(a) SIX: Real v Valencia (2000), Milan v Juve (2003), Man U v Chelsea (2008), Bayern v Dortmund (2013), Real v Atletico x 2 (2014, 2016)

Comment

Counting Scotland as foreign?

Comment

If so the Heysel final, Liverpool rather than Juventus being the team in question obviously.

Edit, 1985, obviously again, but y'know.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
            How many finals have been contested by ...
            (c) clubs from two countries at either end of a scheduled ferry journey
            I'll guess Five:
            1978 Liverpool v Brugge
            (there was a ferry out of Queensferry to somewhere, once, but it might have been Zebrugge rather than Netherlands so Celtic v Feyenoord in 1970 is probably a bust)
            Ferry to Hamburg from Liverpool:
            1977, 1980, 1982, 1999.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
              Counting Scotland as foreign?
              I'm doin it by strict UEFA parameters. So yeah, Scotland is foreign to all but Scottish clubs. Welshmen playing for Shrewsbury or Bristol City are foreigners, etc. (Although, of course, Shrewsbury went 100% English for their final. If they'd just brought on the two Brazilian boys they could have taken that Benfica side ...)

So Liverpool 1985 is correct. One down.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex Anderson View Post
                I'll guess Five:
                1978 Liverpool v Brugge
                (there was a ferry out of Queensferry to somewhere, once, but it might have been Zebrugge rather than Netherlands so Celtic v Feyenoord in 1970 is probably a bust)
                Ferry to Hamburg from Liverpool:
                1977, 1980, 1982, 1999.
                Many of the finals involving English clubs would qualify for this.

There is (and presumably was at the time) a ferry from Harwich to Cuxhaven which qualifies all of the English v German finals - add 1975 and 2012 to the above.
                And ferries from the south coast to Santander and Bilbao, to bring in the English v Spanish finals of 1981, 2009, 2011.

Anything involving permutations of Spanish, Italian and French clubs, but my parochial mind can't remember them as well as finals involving English clubs.

Comment

Just nipping back to a previous topic

Originally posted by ursus arctos View Post
                  Joceyln Angloma has at least played official matches for Guadeloupe.
                  Lilian Thuram (Juventus 2003) didn't but was born there. Eligible. With Angloma having set the Play For France First precedent.

I just plain forgot about Bayern-Chelsea and Bayern-Leeds in ad hoc's ferry question. But this ... this stuff ...

Kinda fluid.

Comment

If you count military bases, you need to count consular properties, whose position in international law as foreign territory is even clearer, yet doing so renders the question meaningless.

The ferries question may need to be reversed so that it is Finals without a ferry connection, unless we can determine that ferries to Portugal didn’t exist.

66, 67, 71-74, 79, 84-87, etc are early runners without including Portugal
                    Last edited by ursus arctos; 24-11-2017, 14:33.

Comment

Does the Mersey ferry (England to England) bring 2008 into scope? That would bring the all Spanish and all German finals into the mix.

Comment

The Isle Of Wight is also in England...

Comment

There is (or used to be) a ferry between Spain and Portugal over the river at
                          Ayamonte on the Atlantic Coast. There must have been a benfica real Madrid final back in the day

Comment

And on the subject of Champions League finalists countries have we covered Karembeu and New Caledonia, a member of FIFA? Seedorf and Davids both born Suriname so you've avoided that political grenade Alex. Now what about the Basques? Moravians? Bohemians? Austro-Hungarians? Northern Bukovina and Bessarabians? Sometimes i think you really didn't think this thing through.

Comment

Originally posted by Gangster Octopus View Post
                              The Isle Of Wight is also in England...
                              Gosport-Portsmouth, South Shields-North Shields, Fleetwood-Knott End, I'm only scratching the surface here and BB&F would laugh at this pathetic list I'm sure....

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
                                And on the subject of Champions League finalists countries have we covered Karembeu and New Caledonia, a member of FIFA? Seedorf and Davids both born Suriname so you've avoided that political grenade Alex. Now what about the Basques? Moravians? Bohemians? Austro-Hungarians? Northern Bukovina and Bessarabians? Sometimes i think you really didn't think this thing through.
                                Let's not bring English counties into it either, Emlyn Hughes alone is an argument waiting to happen.

Comment

Having been on the Ayamonte ferry twice, I should have remembered that. That covers 61 and 62, when Benfica met Barcelona and Madrid.

The 92 Barcelona-Sampdoria Final is one of the few where regularly scheduled ferries connect the two clubs’ home cities.

Comment

Right, time for another European football trivia question. I’d like to say this one won’t break down into a geo-political-historical debate, but I’ll make no guarantees. Name all the clubs to participate in the European Cup/Champions League without having previously won a national championship (at least one of them went on to subsequently win a national title, there are several that have never won a national title). Of course participation in qualifying rounds counts.

Comment

What a diabolical question.

Villarreal, Wolfsburg and Parma all qualify.

Comment

Neverkusen, RB Leipzig, Udinese, Chievo, Toulouse, Istanbul BB, Hoffenheim

Comment

From Romania - FC Vaslui are the only ones - twice went into the third qualifying round and lost immediately

Comment

Originally posted by seand View Post
                                            All covered. It's almost as if people haven't been reading my 2,500-word posts on each possible entity ...

And you missed the Szekelys. Czaba Laszlo and ad hoc will be raging, in Hungarian and Romanian with smatterings of German.

Comment

The 92 Barcelona-Sampdoria Final is one of the few where regularly scheduled ferries connect the two clubs’ home cities.
                                              The first perhaps steered by a Signor/Senor Columbus. Was so apt that Genovese met "Spaniards" in the final in, of all years, 1992 - half millennial of him telling the Americas they'd better get a team together to play Barca or Real in Yokohama that December ...

Comment

What a diabolical question.

Villarreal, Wolfsburg and Parma all qualify.
                                                Yes, Villarreal and Parma are never-champions but have played in the CL. Wolfsburg's CL debut came after they won their only league title in 2009 though

Comment

Originally posted by Southport Zeb View Post
                                                  Neverkusen, RB Leipzig, Udinese, Chievo, Toulouse, Istanbul BB, Hoffenheim
                                                  Udinese, Chievo, Toulouse (great spot.... and now in Division 3), Hoffenheim, RBL, Bayer (5 times league runners up), and Istanbul all fit the bill for never-champions to play in the CL

Comment

Originally posted by Antepli Ejderha View Post
                                                    What you doing there? My neck of the woods that. Llandeilo claims to be the ancient capital of Wales but it's Luke Charteris country now.
                                                    Filming in Ammanford yesterday and Cenarth today! Have spent an awful lot of time in the Cawdor over the last few months!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X