Mispronunciations in Songs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mispronunciations in Songs

"These Things Take Time" by The Smiths pronounces this word as "wonder kind"

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/...ish/wunderkind

Still a fabulous song, though, which was probably knocked off in an hour or so in a BBC studio

Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 27-10-2017, 22:47.

Anarch-EYE-st is the obvious one.

Whatever Kurt Cobain mumbles instead of "At all the millions here" in The Man Who Sold The World.

Brett Anderson's pronunciation of the J in "marijuana".

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post
      Whatever Kurt Cobain mumbles instead of "At all the millions here" in The Man Who Sold The World.
      Something very strange about 'mult-i millionaires', if I recall correctly. (Morrissey also chucks an extraneous consonant into 'criminally' in How Soon is Now?)

In Megadeth's rather-odd cover of Anarchy in the UK, Dave Mustaine sings about a 'c***-like tendency' - presumably because he had no idea what a 'council tenancy' was.

The most egregious of which I can think offhand is Jaz Mann's cringeworthy utterance about a 'Try-annosaurus' at the beginning of Animal Army - the abysmal follow-up to Babylon Zoo's Spaceman.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 Colours Red View Post

Brett Anderson's pronunciation of the J in "marijuana".
        See* also Shaun Ryder's in Country Song.

*Hear

Comment

'Febuary' in American Pie and Somebody Told Me.

Comment

Steve Jones, "Circumstised the skipper".

Comment

In 1980's chart-bothering Babooshka, Kate Bush sings 'she couldn't have made a worst move', when the correct term is clearly 'worse', ie, a comparative.

This has always bugged me.

Comment

"He made his home in, that fishes ab-do-men" from it Ain't Necessarily So by Bronski Beat really jars with me

Comment

If we're counting presumably deliberate mispronunciations (i.e words tortured to fit the scansion), since I'm fairly sure Stevie Nicks must know how to actually say 'washes', then: "When the rain wa-SHES you clean, you know" – Fleetwood Mac, Dreams. Also faithfully reproduced by the Corrs a couple of decades later.

Comment

In Blue Sky Mine by Midnight Oil, Peter Garrett sings 'Who's going to shave me?' instead of 'save me'. He manages to pronounce it right when he sings it live.

Comment

Alice has been there, she said it was fun
                      Swimming and surfing, enjoying the sun
                      Hey Honololu, we're going to happy Ha-wye

(ABBA)

Comment

There's a song from the last 10 years that makes a big deal of the word "mischievous."
                        Only the singer sings "miss-chee-vee-ous" which annoyed the fuck out of me then and now.

Google-fu isn't turning anything up (it wasn't Emma Bunton. It was a black female singer. I seem to remember she was sat in a car for some of the video.)

Comment

This is the second time I have encountered "Google-fu" today (and also the second time in my entire life). What does it mean?

Comment

I can't speak Spanish. When Wall Of Voodoo sing about wishing they were in Tee-hoo-ana, eating barbecued iguana, is that a mispronunciation or not?

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                              This is the second time I have encountered "Google-fu" today (and also the second time in my entire life). What does it mean?
                              Just the art/skill of using Google.

Comment

Oh. So the fu is not some initials, and not pronounced fuh, but rather it's like kung-fu?

Comment

Yes. Google-fu is another term for search-engine ninjitsu.
                                  You're just not a down-with-the-kids hep cat like what I am, daddio. I bet you don't even know who's swinging at the top of the hit parade.

Comment

Yes, I don't have my finger on the nub of youth

Comment

On my vinyl copy of Heroes, Bowie starts singing in French halfway through, with some pronunciation that even I find suspect.

Comment

I remember reading that Joe Strummer's Spanish in "Spanish Bombs" is very dodgy (possibly the result of mispronouncing some South American dialect).

Slightly different (and debatable as to whether is a mispronunciation) is the almost ubiquitous use of "axe" instead of "ask" in much hip-hop...

Comment

Originally posted by Kevin S View Post
                                          Alice has been there, she said it was fun
                                          Swimming and surfing, enjoying the sun
                                          Hey Honololu, we're going to happy Ha-wye

(ABBA)
                                          The correct pronunciation of Hawaii is a whole new can of worms. The glottal stop between the two "i"s and do you pronounce the "w" as a "v"?

Comment

Originally posted by treibeis View Post
                                            I can't speak Spanish. When Wall Of Voodoo sing about wishing they were in Tee-hoo-ana, eating barbecued iguana, is that a mispronunciation or not?
                                            Aargh, this has inexorably reminded me of the Vengaboys' execrable (even by their standards) We're Going To Ibiza – or, as it was sung: "Whoa! We're going to Ee-beetz-ah".

Comment

Originally posted by hobbes View Post
                                              There's a song from the last 10 years that makes a big deal of the word "mischievous."
                                              Only the singer sings "miss-chee-vee-ous" which annoyed the fuck out of me then and now.

Google-fu isn't turning anything up (it wasn't Emma Bunton. It was a black female singer. I seem to remember she was sat in a car for some of the video.)
                                              Never Forget You, by the Noisettes?

I think there's an instance in Ebeneezer Goode too, to rhyme with devious.

Comment

I've never heard anyone IRL pronounce 'mountain' as anything but moun-tin or mount'n. Certainly not moun-tain like uh...plantain or uh...that's probably about it. But Duran Duran pronounce it as such in Rio ("from moun-tains in the north down to...") and that Gonna Build A Mountain song from Anthony Newly.

Comment

Never Forget You, by the Noisettes?
                                                  We have a winner!

Comment

Working...
                                                  X