• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
    Morrissey's Spent the Day Victim-Blaming
    Ha.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
      I hadn't heard of Loyle Carner until reading that post. A quick sample suggests a male Kate Tempest but a very lite version.* To be fair, Radcliffe and Maconie have played the genuine article.
      He's been very strongly pushed by 6, and he was one of the 6 Music Live acts (alongside Morrissey and Mogwai).

Morrissey misses out on the Top 10 because he released his latest batch of nonsense in the autumn so didn't get the full year's over exposure.

Comment

And while I'm pissing about on that website, most played in daytime since 1 September 2009 (as far back as the site statistics go):

1.David Bowie 2262 plays
        2.Radiohead 1629 plays
        3.The Rolling Stones 1530 plays
        4.Arcade Fire 1482 plays
        5.The Beatles 1356 plays
        6.Arctic Monkeys 1332 plays
        7.Pixies 1248 plays
        8.Elbow 1190 plays
        9.The Chemical Brothers 1186 plays
        10.The Cure 1180 plays

Comment

Even if Morrissey released the album earlier, I doubt he could sustain a stream of 3-4 singles that would keep people tuning in. He tends to be a one radio-friendly singalong track per album, the rest being self-immersed sludge with no childlike melody for the more casual miserabilist.

Comment

Originally posted by Walt Flanagans Dog View Post
            And while I'm pissing about on that website, most played in daytime since 1 September 2009 (as far back as the site statistics go):

1.David Bowie 2262 plays
            2.Radiohead 1629 plays
            3.The Rolling Stones 1530 plays
            4.Arcade Fire 1482 plays
            5.The Beatles 1356 plays
            6.Arctic Monkeys 1332 plays
            7.Pixies 1248 plays
            8.Elbow 1190 plays
            9.The Chemical Brothers 1186 plays
            10.The Cure 1180 plays
            Most recent recording debut in that list: 2001-2003? That would mean that nothing from the last 10 years has sustained career momentum. Slightly surprised that The Smiths and New Order would be below The Pixies, which is not to deny their influence, just that they seem more like Velvet Underground in influencing musical insiders far more than they excite the general listener.
            Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 30-11-2017, 15:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Satchmo Distel View Post
              Most recent recording debut in that list: 2001-2003? That would mean that nothing from the last 10 years has sustained career momentum. Slightly surprised that The Smiths and New Order would be below The Pixies, which is not to deny their influence, just that they seem more like Velvet Underground in influencing musical insiders far more than they excite the general listener.
              Yeah those two and The Clash were the most notable omissions for me, with the Chemical Brothers being the most surprising inclusion (though songs which prominently feature "DJ" or "radio" are always airplay winners, so they have that).

In terms of career momentum, bands now have much longer gaps between albums, so a newish band from the late 2000s might only have released three albums in that time (Foals are a good example), with two or at most three tracks playlisted, so those 6-9 tracks would have to be hammered to death to compete with the back catalogue of the big boys (and they are all boys, except a minority of each of Arcade Fire and Pixies).

Though this is another feature of 6 Music, it's very polarised between new and old, and new artists can be playlisted and then rarely feature again - see e.g. that Chris Hawkins show I talked about the other day - a lot of tracks from >10 years ago, a decent amount from 2017, very little from in between.

Comment

I wonder if that might kill the album as an indie format, at least for new bands. There is no durability there.

Comment

Elbow and a fucking orchestra.

Elbow. And a fucking orchestra.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                    They really need to stop f***ing playing Buffalo Stance, however.
                    It's on right now.

Comment

I was going to say the same thing.
                      Meanwhile I've opened the first box on the musical advent calendar from hell. Whose was the first voice I heard this morning talking about what? No prizes.

Comment

It's getting a bit silly now - both with Elbow and Buffalo bloody Stance.

Fortunately I was taking my youngest to school at that time, so she didn't have to witness me hurling my DAB through the nearest window.

(Keaveny redeemed himself by playing Six By Seven's Eat Junk, Become Junk an hour or so later. Which he does, sometimes.)

Comment

I'm listening to R&M playing the Chemical Brothers at the moment, and wondering if they high-five each other at the "Superstar DJs ... here we go!!" bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Artificial Hipster View Post
                            Whose was the first voice I heard this morning talking about what? No prizes.
                            I'm going with Lauren and Elbow. I'm ready to be surprised though (but not too surprised, obviously).

Comment

At the risk of turning this into an equivalent level of obsession to Alex's European Cup trivia thread, draw your own conclusions from the trends in airplay shown. All annual totals, daytime only.

1. Hot Chip - 282 plays, 2. The Rolling Stones - 259 plays, 3. Django Django - 254 plays, 4. Jake Bugg - 253 plays, 5. Paul Weller - 251 plays, 6. Alabama Shakes - 241 plays, 7. Alt-J - 239 plays, 8. Arctic Monkeys - 233 plays, 9. The Black Keys - 232 plays, 10. Richard Hawley - 221 plays

1. David Bowie - 313 plays, 2. Arctic Monkeys - 268 plays, 3. Pixies - 235 plays, 4. Foals - 222 plays, 5. Jake Bugg - 217 plays, 6. Suede - 215 plays, 7. Vampire Weekend - 201 plays, 8. Arcade Fire - 196 plays, 9. Manic Street Preachers - 187 plays, 10. Franz Ferdinand - 172 plays

1. St. Vincent - 290 plays, 2. David Bowie - 277 plays, 3. Elbow - 257 plays, 4. The War on Drugs - 250 plays, 5. Beck - 248 plays, 6. Royal Blood - 247 plays, 7. First Aid Kit - 231 plays, 8. Pixies - 215 plays, 9. Tune-Yards - 211 plays, 10. Arcade Fire - 205 plays

1. The Chemical Brothers - 249 plays, 2. Gaz Coombes - 248 plays, 3. Blur - 245 plays, 4. Hot Chip - 234 plays, 5. New Order - 229 plays, 6. The Maccabees - 223 plays, 7. Father John Misty - 220 plays, 8. David Bowie - 219 plays, 9. The Charlatans - 216 plays, 10. Courtney Barnett -210 plays

1. David Bowie - 498 plays, 2. Radiohead - 395 plays, 3. PJ Harvey - 293 plays, 4. Underworld - 258 plays, 5. Pixies - 246 plays, 6. Michael Kiwanuka - 239 plays, 7. Primal Scream - 230 plays, 8. Steve Mason - 226 plays, 9. Metronomy - 222 plays, 10. Iggy Pop - 218 plays

1. Alt-J - 294 plays, 2. Loyle Carner - 251 plays, 3. David Bowie - 236 plays, 4. Ride - 233 plays, 5. Arcade Fire - 231 plays, 6. Elbow - 228 plays, 7. Depeche Mode - 223 plays, 8. Radiohead - 210 plays, 9. Goldfrapp - 208 plays, 10.The Jesus and Mary Chain - 207 plays

Comment

I listened to BBC 6 Music through satellite from its launch to about 2007, then the internet became fast and reliable and there was no need for me to listen to it any longer. It's fairly bland and the presenters sound like they are going through the motions, playing something from a centrally defined playlist and collecting their pay check.

Mobile data is so cheap and fast now that I listen to internet radio on the go as well. Broadcast radio is pretty much dead.

Some streams:
                                WXYC: http://www.wxyc.org/files/streams/wxyc-mp3.m3u
                                KUOM: http://radiokstreams.cce.umn.edu:8128/listen.pls
                                WFMU: http://wfmu.org/wfmu.pls

Tip, don't use a shitty internet radio app. Download VLC Player for the mobile phone, select "Open MRL" in the menu and manually type in the stream links (only have to do this the first time). It remembers all links you ever typed in, so it is dead easy to switch stations.
                                Last edited by anton pulisov; 01-12-2017, 16:30.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
                                  I'm going with Lauren and Elbow. I'm ready to be surprised though (but not too surprised, obviously).
                                  Close. Not one of His disciples though, twas the Godfather of suffocating sincerity Himself gushing about what an honour and a privilege it will be to perform with such distinguished musicians etc etc.

*Actually I have no idea what he said, my screams drowned him out.

Comment

I had never heard of Alt-J before I saw it on the list above. Apparently it is the most played artist on 6 Music. It's atrocious stuff, sounds like something that was mass produced at a factory that makes background music for H&M and GAP.

Comment

Originally posted by MsD View Post
                                      I'm listening to R&M playing the Chemical Brothers at the moment, and wondering if they high-five each other at the "Superstar DJs ... here we go!!" bit.
                                      I don't get the impression that R & M are particularly self-congratulatory.

My main gripe with the weekday programmes is the music news section which I always find myself skipping when I listen

Comment

Jarvis Cocker to leave at the end of the year, that's quite a loss as he seemed to bring something different to the station.

Comment

Originally posted by antoine polus View Post
                                          I listened to BBC 6 Music through satellite from its launch to about 2007, then the internet became fast and reliable and there was no need for me to listen to it any longer. It's fairly bland and the presenters sound like they are going through the motions, playing something from a centrally defined playlist and collecting their pay check.

Mobile data is so cheap and fast now that I listen to internet radio on the go as well. Broadcast radio is pretty much dead.

Some streams:
                                          WXYC: http://www.wxyc.org/files/streams/wxyc-mp3.m3u
                                          KUOM: http://radiokstreams.cce.umn.edu:8128/listen.pls
                                          WFMU: http://wfmu.org/wfmu.pls

Tip, don't use a shitty internet radio app. Download VLC Player for the mobile phone, select "Open MRL" in the menu and manually type in the stream links (only have to do this the first time). It remembers all links you ever typed in, so it is dead easy to switch stations.
                                          Although WFMU's own App is really good (and free) allowing you to download any of their shows from the past month or so out of their archive as well as listen live.

Comment

Fair play, one black artist a piece in 2016 and 2017. Someone's had a word about diversity.

Though the trick is not how high the first black artist is placed, but how low the second is.
                                            Last edited by Lucy Waterman; 04-12-2017, 10:39.

Comment

Next under the microscope, today's Shaun Keaveney breakfast show. New artists. New stuff by established artists.

The Clash, Franz Ferdinand, Patti Jo, Beastie Boys, The Orielles, The KLF, Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds, Arcade Fire, Luther Vandross, The Stone Roses, Courtney Barnett & Kurt Vile, Elbow, Blondie, Orbital, The Jam, Bicep, Björk, Ride, The Isley Brothers, Joan As Police Woman, Goat Girl, DJ Shadow, Grandmaster & Melle Mel, The Faces, Foo Fighters, Marika Hackman, Gene, Bill Withers.

Comment

A breakfast show is likely to stick to a 'safe' remit, I s'pose. Good to hear Goat Girl at 9am on a weekday morning, at any rate.

In the latest round of 'What Does this Noel Gallagher's HFB Track Sound Like?' - with Black and White Sunshine, I'm getting a watered-down rendition of Start Me Up, at least during the chorus.

Comment

Radcliffe and Maconie would not be that different from the Keaveney list above; the banter would be what separates them.

Comment

Ooh, I'll take that as a request. Thursday's R&M (in the interests of fairness, as Friday's was the Elbow love-in). Haven't categorized it but you get the picture (and the JAMC and Morrissey songs were original era):

A Certain Ratio, Franz Ferdinand, Marcia Griffiths, The Real People, Belle and Sebastian, Shabazz Palaces, S’Express, Little Dragon, Protomartyr, Lauryn Hill, The Breeders, New York Dolls, Split Enz, Princess Nokia, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Queens of the Stone Age, Kamasi Washington, The Orielles, Massive Attack (feat. Tracey Thorn), Cracker, Songhoy Blues (feat. Iggy Pop), Morrissey, Joan As Police Woman, Ohio Players, Mount Kimbie, The Clash, Billy Bragg, Orange Juice, Nick Hakim, Four Tops.

Bit more variety than the breakfast and drive shows maybe, but some tired standards holding it together.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X