Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The most basic test on Irish History...

Originally posted by E10 Rifle
    This is like some sort of competition to see who's most likely to get 0/100 in the most basic test on Irish history isn't it?

I got 10, where's that from?

Comment

Thanks to Prue & Freda for the questions

Comment

I got #5. Mainly because I know what replaced it.

Comment

I got #20 and that's about it.

Unless there was a guy called Strongbow?

Comment

There was, real name Richard de Clare, led the mercenaries brought in by Dermot Mc Murrough to sort out a local grievance and then decided to stay

Comment

By the way answer 15 is "arrows? I didn't even see the fuckin Indians "

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                There was, real name Richard de Clare, led the mercenaries brought in by Dermot Mc Murrough to sort out a local grievance and then decided to stay
                giving us the Norman occupation of Ireland and this amazing, and utterly insane painting, "The Marriage of Strongbow and Aoife."

Comment

When do we get the answers?

Comment

Jesus, Arlene Foster is only 47. I had no idea.

Comment

Solutions Spoiler

Comment

That painting is magnificent.

Comment

The real thing is quite overwhelming. It's so fucking crazy. It and the caravaggio stand out like a lighthouse in a bog compared to most of the rest of the collection, which is mostly paintings of the Spinster Great Great great Great Great grand daughters of cromwellian planters, and their dogs, because those are the people who paid for the damn thing in the first place.

Comment

Um, I did actually think "Magners", and I've got History.

Not my period, though

Comment

I have Irish family, and basically I got the Pogues one and that's it. And I didn't look at the answers, in case the song was wrong.

Comment

Got half of the rugby question and that's about it. The Indians answer I thought was an urban myth but I'm happy to be wrong.

Comment

Well done all ;}

The Donogh O'Malley tale has also been told of various other hacks in England and possibly beyond

Comment

... what? 'Beyond' what?

Comment

The only one that I can answer is the joke.

Comment

Gero- I'm told- including by an Irish journalist sometime of this parish- that it's a widely shared urban myth- Ursus may know?

GO- there were two 60s primary school gags- do keep up
                                        Last edited by Duncan Gardner; 29-11-2017, 17:06.

Comment

To be fair, before the song question, I thought the whole thing was a pisstake.

Comment

It's a mix of pub quiz standards and gentle digs at You Boys in Green on Tour Somewhere. So El Guapo is clubhouse leader but I expect a strong show from E10 Rifle.

Comment

Sorry, Dunc, can't help you there.

It has been pretty widely reported as fact, though given that the source was the Gardai . . .

Comment

Having gone through it again I'm now up to 12

Comment

Heh, Donogh O'Malley is famous for two things. The first is that when he was minister for Education, he was giving a speech while slightly more shitfaced that usual, and decided to announce Free second level education for all, without discussing it with er, anyone else in the govt, or the Dept of finance.

(Btw, this broadly speaking is how we wound up declaring a republic. John A Costello was at a state banquet in ottawa, and the Canadian Govt General was such a barbarous fucking bigot, that the taoiseach just declared a republic.)

The other is that "Raglan Road" is written about his wife.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X