Football Book Review Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Vole is chuffed to be in some illustrious company.

Assuming this site matters, of course. Does it?

Comment

This thread has been brilliant and has added many books to my wish list - luckily a lot of them are on Kindle so I may get them past the embargo that Mrs Bored currently has on books. However, I am astonished that "You'll Win Nothing With Kids which was written by Jim White, the Telegraph football reporter hasn't been mentioned. Has it been reviewed on WSC before.

Basically, he is coaching his son's team and, after he has interviewed Mourinho (or whoever)about Chelsea (or whoever), he would ask him what he should say to his under 11s team. Invariably, Mourinho (or whoever) would give him another hour about youth coaching that was completely different.

It is interspersed with stories from coaching his son's team. It is not just a book for youth football coaches like myself, although there is much that we would empathise and sympathise with and much that is useful info. It is also a great insight into what is going wrong with British football from the attitudes of the coaches, parents, clubs and sometimes the kids themselves and how clubs are slowly starting to cotton onto this

Comment

My Dad gave me that book about three or four years ago and I've not even opened it, possibly for the very petty reason that I was on a Radio 5 panel with Jim White 10 years ago and he promised me he'd read and review my book, but he never did. I think it's time for me to get over that and read his book, especially as your's is not the first recommendation.

Comment

What is your book, imp. I read the thread late last night and forgot which was yours and which was TEV's.

Please do not use this oversight on my part stop you from reading any future posts of mine

Comment

Available on amazon for one English penny, currently riding at no. 1,204,457 in the rankings.

Comment

1,204,457 isn't too bad, imp. I see "The Production of Living Knowledge: The Crisis of the University and the Transformation of Labor in Europe and North America" by Gigi Roggero is down to 2,511,635.

Comment

Sadly, I think I may have read that one.

Comment

Hey, who hasn't?

Comment

Rohan Ricketts is a misunderstood genius. Say one thing for the guy - he's tenacious, and doesn't let the fact that he's now on his eleventh team (or so) get in the way of his other activities.

I have kindled this puppy up.

Comment

Have not read it, but this from Paul Lake looks quite good.

Comment

Have got a copy of the Lake book heading my way. Will give you some feedback soon. Looks promising.

Comment

Bought, read and thoroughly enjoyed Roger Hermiston's "Clough & Revie" book last week, the stuff about old Middlesbrough being particularly enjoyable for me - but there's a whole lot more to it than that.

Popped into Waterstone's yesterday before going to the pub/match and Mr Hermiston was in there doing a book signing (I'd known he was oing it, but completely forgot) and seeing as his table was quiet, what with it being 1pm and hopefully the rush had died down as it started at 11am, I engaged him in a bit of chit-chat and told him how much I'd enjoyed it. Fussbudget is a big fan of my policy of talking to strangers in shops, so everybody was happy. He seemed like a very nice man.

Comment

Yesterday I was halfway through my annual trip to London and I found myself in Foyles looking for The Blizzard.

I failed to find this publication. I found "Soccer versus the State" by Gabriel Kuhn so I bought that instead. Has anyone else read this book?

Comment

I have it and have flipped through it but haven't read it, per se. It seems to be a compendium of stories about left-wing/anarchist football experiments rather than a proper book with a narrative and so forth.

Comment

Review here, Kowalski

Comment

Kowalski wrote:
                                  Yesterday I was halfway through my annual trip to London and I found myself in Foyles looking for The Blizzard.

I failed to find this publication. I found "Soccer versus the State" by Gabriel Kuhn so I bought that instead. Has anyone else read this book?
                                  Unlike all the other periodicals which are kept in the relevant section the Blizzard is on the main cash desk by the front door.

(I was looking for UA's Braudel book which is unfortunatly out of print. I wandered down to the Economics and finance section but was unnerved by the serious people browsing books on how to make millions on the stock market. So I only bought 5 books in the end.)

Comment

Thanks Antoine and thanks for pointing out the review BOE. I like the cut of its suit too.

10^7 guests wrote:
                                    Kowalski wrote:

Unlike all the other periodicals which are kept in the relevant section the Blizzard is on the main cash desk by the front door.

(I was looking for UA's Braudel book which is unfortunatly out of print. I wandered down to the Economics and finance section but was unnerved by the serious people browsing books on how to make millions on the stock market. So I only bought 5 books in the end.)
                                    Unfortunately there weren't any there when I went, maybe they'd been looted and are now going for 25 quid on the street.

Comment

Thanks Antoine and thanks for pointing out the review BOE. I like the cut of its suit too.
                                      I have ordered a copy and am interested to read the chapter about Cristiano Lucarelli. I have never heard of him really and his story sounds fascinating.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:
                                        I have ordered a copy and am interested to read the chapter about Cristiano Lucarelli. I have never heard of him really and his story sounds fascinating.
                                        I don't want to risk having a score for the Spanish Super Cup appear next to the review linked above so I will check it out later today, but for now, there was a few funny comments about Lucarelli and Livorno. First, after a particularly good season and some mentions that Lucarelli might consider playing in the better paying EPL, Lucarelli was quoted as saying that he would love to play in England as long as Livorno moves there (although he ended up leaving shortly after for 1/2 season at Shakhtar). Second, I have only read FourFourTwo a few times but one issue featured an interview with Di Canio, who said that he hated playing at Livorno because the fans were a bunch of communists who were more interested in going to the football stadium for a political rally rather than to watch the football. I got a kick out of that.

In other news, I posted a question upthread about a new edition of Morbo. It looks like that new edition is now being sold in the WSC Book Shop.

Comment

Bored of Education wrote:
                                          Rushed and poorly researched Cristiano Lucarelli article here!: http://www.wsc.co.uk/content/view/500/29/

Comment

But it does contain an essential truth: that you are not the role model for a new era in Italian football.

Serie A would be more interesting if you were, of course.

Comment

A lot has changed since i wrote that. It's entirely possible that these days I am the role model for a new era in Italian football. Certainly I have to be the role model for something. Why not this?

Comment

Braudel listings from AbeBooks.

Starting at a buck.

I'd offer to lend you my copy, but it is full of marginalia.

Comment

No worries. I've got it coming to me now.

I just like any excuse to go to Foyles and do try to buy from bookshops as it means I'll have somewhere to browse in the future. Amazon might be great if you know what you want but its rubbish for finding something new.

Comment

I read Pele the autobiography, it`s quite repetitive and increasingly dull.I dislike the arrogance shown , including him having the gall, as a 17 yr old, to turn up his nose at the type of car given by the townsfolk and his family in Minas Gerais, after he first became big news.He refused the car.This disgusts me.From then on I gritted my teeth whilst reading his self eulogising, giving up just prior to him telling of his son`s scrapes with the law in the USA.Dreadful book.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X