No announcement yet.

Forgotten Britpop Bands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, I remember them (better than I do their output).

I had Good Looking Blues by Laika, as well, but that was a fair bit later (2000). I think they were a couple - I knew them vaguely as they had a team that played in our old music quiz at the Rosemary Branch in Angel.

Edit: I spent a couple of days in the company of Six By Seven (mentioned upthread), as well - and the resultant C4 show is still on YouTube I believe. European Me was one of the best singles of the decade, IMO - and Eat Junk Become Junk one of the best of the noughties. (They were a good bunch of lads, but singer Chris Olley wasn't the best at holding his drink.)
    Last edited by Jah Womble; 06-11-2018, 10:20.

Comment

Originally posted by Benjm View Post
      I used to get Strangelove mixed up with Longpigs, but now the only thing I can remember about either is that Richard Hawley was in Longpigs.
      I remember The Longpig's vocalist was glassed by former bandmate (also ex-Chakk member) Dee Boyle after the group split up. I heard recently that Boyle had passed away.

Comment

Crispin Hunt - the Longpigs lead singer in question - is the son of Labour ex-MP Mark Fisher*, the grandson of Conservative ex-MP Sir Nigel Fisher, and has followed in the family line in a way - he is the chair of music industry BASCA, the British Academy of Songwriters, Composers & Authors.

* Mark Fisher was succeeded as MP for Stoke On Trent Central by Tristram Hunt. Which is a little confusing.

Comment

The Bigger The God were about this era, weren't they?

Comment

With Symposium it was always Ross (singer) and Wojtek (songwriter) who did the main share of talking, so likely one of them. I would guess the former as I recall him being a bit of a gobshite.

Around this whole time was when Ultrasound bubbled and then vanished (Fierce Panda --> signed to Nude --> implode). Fierce Panda was positioned brilliantly around that time grabbing short term deals with bands, though then it went all squirly and they tried to do full albums. Seafood was the one they kept pushing where I faded off on to other stuff.

Comment

I was going to add Gay Dad to this thread. Do they count as forgotten, or even Britpop (being active late 90s)?

Couple of others I remember:

- David Devant and his Spirit Wife
              - My Life Story (a couple of chart-troubling hits but then disappeared)

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                With Symposium it was always Ross (singer) and Wojtek (songwriter) who did the main share of talking, so likely one of them. I would guess the former as I recall him being a bit of a gobshite.
                Would I be barking up the wrong tree pondering that the one with a seemingly Polish name may have the Catholic-influenced opinion on abortion?

Comment

I have an idea that he is friendly with some fairly left -wing mutual friends of ours which doesn't quite discount that but makes it less likely.

"Easy" was the stand-out track for me with Cud and I played it while DJing the other week and probably will do again next week. They struck me as the band the Smiths could have been.

Comment

I'm enjoying reading all these thoughts on these bands. I get a wee thrill when I see mention of a band I'd totally forgotten about.

I've just pulled my "Guiness Who's Who of Indie and New Wave" reference book (published in 95) off the shelf to find more names that might ring a bell.

Does anyone remember

Audioweb
                    Biohazard
                    Bivouac
                    Bleach
                    Blood Sausage
                    Corrosion of Conformity
                    Done Lying Down

??????

And that's just from A to D!

Comment

Cud's "Rich and Strange" is a great track.

Comment

Blood sausage is a freakin terrible name

Comment

We had a thread on Corrosion of Conformity very recently.

I believe Biohazard are still touring, unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by Me Old Flower View Post
                            - David Devant and his Spirit Wife
                            - My Life Story (a couple of chart-troubling hits but then disappeared)
                            DD & HSW are still going and pop up playing at well regarded small venues like The Lexington and the 100 Club. I get them confused with Trevor & Simon's World Of The Strange sketch.

My Life Story ride out occasionally; they did some play-the-album shows quite recently. They suffered at the time from being seen as The Divine Comedy's poor relations on the orchestral pop front.

Gay Dad had Peter Saville doing their sleeves. He used some of the Waste Paintings that he produces with his fine art hat on for their later releases. They are quite attractive. Can't remember what the band sounded like.

Comment

Only Audioweb could possibly be Britpop from that list.

Blood Sausage was one fella, Dale Shaw, who was pals with Huggy Bear and they let him be a riot grrrl or something. I had his first single. It was of its time.

Bivouac wanted to be Buffalo Tom.

Bleach were shoegazers from Ipswich.

Done Lying Down were part of the New Wave Of new Wave, alongside S*M*A*S*H and These Animal Men. All Fierce Panda and that.

The others were pretty much metal.

Comment

S*M*A*S*H seemed laughably old and haggard playing at angry young men to me back in the day. I dread to google them now and find them looking like kids. But then Noel fuckin Gallagher at what 27/28 seemed old as fuck back then.

Comment

Originally posted by HeavyDracula View Post
                                  Done Lying Down were part of the New Wave Of new Wave, alongside S*M*A*S*H and These Animal Men. All Fierce Panda and that.
                                  I know the drummer of Done Lying Down - who, I believe, are still going - and he is very much of a just hardcore/punk variety but I don't know about his bandmates and, perhaps, anything of that persuasion was stuck in with the NWONW.

Comment

These Animal Men.
                                    The only band where I really, really had to fight the urge to get up on stage and punch the bassist for being an absolute cock.

Comment

I remember reading about Gay Dad but don't think I ever heard any of their stuff.

I'm going to dig my old Shine CDs out

Comment

Northern Uproar - From a Window

Still a lot to like about this tune, y'know.

Comment

Corrosion of Conformity were fucking brilliant, incidentally.

Comment

Full shine discography

Comment

Originally posted by Snake Plissken View Post
                                              I wonder where one might get hold of these...by any means?

Comment

Originally posted by caja-dglh View Post
                                                Around this whole time was when Ultrasound bubbled and then vanished (Fierce Panda --> signed to Nude --> implode). Fierce Panda was positioned brilliantly around that time grabbing short term deals with bands, though then it went all squirly and they tried to do full albums. Seafood was the one they kept pushing where I faded off on to other stuff.
                                                Ultrasound were a shade after Britpop, but judging by some of the bands suggested (Corrosion Of Conformity? Biohazard?), we've moved away from that now. I still rate their Everything Picture album - even though it was deemed way too overblown - and the single Stay Young was nice and bombastic. They came back with an album in 2016, plus two decent singles in Soul Girl and Kon-Tiki.

Seafood were another of the bands we booked for Sean Hughes's show. I quite liked their Scorch Comfort. (Placebo also issued their first single via Fierce Panda - and it was probably the best thing they ever recorded.)

Blood Sausage were 'different' to say the least. They were associated with Huggy Bear and some of the other Riot Grrl bands. (Edit: As Dracula has already mentioned. It was Shaw's project, but they 'were' a band though.)

Can't say I've ever thought of Audioweb as being 'Britpop'. (And Gay Dad were awful.)
                                                Last edited by Jah Womble; 07-11-2018, 12:43.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                                  I remember reading about Gay Dad but don't think I ever heard any of their stuff.

I'm going to dig my old Shine CDs out
                                                  I bought To Earth With Love by them. Never play it when the iPod picks it out though.

Only Audioweb could possibly be Britpop from that list.

Blood Sausage was one fella, Dale Shaw, who was pals with Huggy Bear and they let him be a riot grrrl or something. I had his first single. It was of its time.

Bivouac wanted to be Buffalo Tom.

Bleach were shoegazers from Ipswich.

The others were pretty much metal.
                                                  Policeman Skank by Audioweb was a banger.

Comment

I wonder where one might get hold of these...by any means?
                                                    "Shine (90s Indie) Compilation Albums 1-10" is a playlist on Spotify. 268 songs; 18 hours and five minutes of Britpop and Indie heaven.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X