No announcement yet.

Holy Kohli: India in England Summer 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suddenly England have India five down and might just be favourites to win this. Except, Kohli is still there so they aren't.

Comment

Both teams alternate between grabbing the initiative then losing it. Obviously the result now depends on how long Kohli stays in tomorrow. The instruction to the other end must be to play ultra-defence, just stay with him.

The subtext here, I think is England being in serious decline v India having little recent experience of winning Tests outside Asia. If India lose this one, they have to think about whether they picked the right XI. England perhaps just don't have better options right now.

Regarding the Ashes, a lot depends on Anderson staying the course. Similar to Flintoff on his last legs in 2009. Both sides will be dodgy in batting but the Aussies have better bowlers.
      Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 03-08-2018, 18:07.

Comment

Stokes gets Kohli. India still need 53; may as well swing the bat.

Comment

Adil Rashid bowls his 10th over of the match, thus honouring his limited overs only commitment.

Comment

9 down, 40 needed. England favourites, but...

Comment

Originally posted by SouthdownRebel View Post
              Adil Rashid bowls his 10th over of the match, thus honouring his limited overs only commitment.
              It seems they are not going to put him in a 4 man attack so his workload should not be that great in England. Asia is where the workload would come in. The problem might be that he weakens the batting relative to Ali.

Comment

Man. It's test cricket good?

Comment

Joe Root owes Sam Curran a pint.

Comment

Those fourth day tickets woulda been a blast after all.

Comment

Malan out, Ollie Pope in for Lord's.

Comment

Ollie Pope or Joe Clarke - either would do a good job. I would slightly favour Clarke but I'm not sure why.

Comment

First rain in north-west London for ages means no start yet at Lords.

Comment

Going by the thunder and rain here in Pinner, I'd be surprised if there's any play at all today.

Comment

We'll get play today. It's lovely in London.

Comment

Good to hear as I'm back tomorrow. Woakes in for Stokes

Comment

Great start by Anderson, the world's best bowler in these conditions

India playing two spinners, which is their best chance really.

Comment

Even I'd fancy my chances in these conditions, and I haven't turned my arm over for several years. But yeah, masterful from Anderson thus far. Is it hasty to say England are already clear favourites to go 2-0 up?

Comment

Except it's raining again, and will probably do so for the rest of the day

Comment

Rain also likely on Sunday and perhaps Monday.

England won the first two tosses of the series, which was vital in the first Test (very hard to chase 4th innings in England) and would be vital here if there is time. I think India ought to be aggressive because the unplayable ball is never far away.

Comment

It's become like a Test played in early May and India can only pray for rain when that happens. They are less adaptable than Pakistan in that respect, or at least have been so far.

Comment

I wonder why they are so incompetent against swing. I get them not making 350+ but not why they don't make 250.

Comment

I agree, especially as Pakistan and SL have both won Tests in May in England so it cannot be excused as a 'raised on Asian pitches' weakness. Some previous Indian sides have coped but apparently not this generation. One suggestion is they should try some T20 players who will at least be aggressive and not just trundle at 2 an over until they get the inevitable ball they cannot play.
                                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 11-08-2018, 09:42.

Comment

Oof. An innings and 159. That tight first match seems a long way away now

Comment

As mentioned, it was a great toss to win, bowling in the gloom and batting in the sun, which made the margin of victory far wider than it would have been.

Anderson the first bowler to take 100 test wickets at Lord's, and only the second anywhere (Muralitharan achieved it at 3 different SL venues).

More surprisingly, Stuart Broad is now in the all time top 10 wicket takers, now ahead of Pollock and Steyn.

Rashid did not bowl, bat or take a catch in the game. Bravo.

Comment

I feel that Broad being in the top 10 is just a sign of longevity, and the fact that England have spent a decade with basically just two blokes taking most of the wickets so there's no spreading them around.

A case can be made for Anderson being a genuinely great bowler; Broad is - at most - a bowler who has great spells.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X