No announcement yet.

Famous artists you've never heard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuck me, Red Light Spells Danger is fantastic. Was it recorded in the States? Most British produced soul in the 70s sounds just horrible, but that’s almost Philly gorgeous.

Comment

Billy Ocean is the bee's knees, and a fantastic bloke by all accounts.

Count me in as another who has not only never knowingly heard the Grateful Dead but also has no real idea what they sound like. Cultural osmosis has led me to believe it's a sort of endless, impermeable stoned country blues jam but I don't have a clue what the vocals might sound like, for instance. I realise this is also complicated by the fact that live Dead (as it were) didn't necessarily bear any resemblance to studio Dead, I gather. Is there another band in history whose legend rests so completely on their live performances whilst being so resolutely hit-less?

Count me in also as another Kraftwerk fan who's never got around to listening (consciously) to a single second of the various Krautrock Germanic prog acts referenced upthread. Given that the likes of Can lie in some middle ground between the former and a lot of the minimalist/ambient stuff I'm also a fan of, I feel I should give them a go at some point, but I've never had a real inclination.

There's a lot of influential and/or critically-lauded stuff on this thread I haven't heard at all, for that matter. Going back to the original post, Sun Ra, to which I'll add Parliament/Funkadelic. Fela. My Bloody Valentine. You can add pretty much anything from the rap/hip hop world: Kendrick Lamar being probably the most currently lauded of whom I've never knowingly heard anything.
      I believe I have heard 'that one Imagine Dragons song', possibly a few times, but it's certainly never yet stuck enough for me to remember it even slightly. Echoing others above, albeit fractionally more up-to-date perhaps, my general watershed is "everything released since about 2010". The few times things do get through, they usually perplex me more than anything. Leaving aside the baffling issue that remains the Sheeran Conundrum, I genuinely couldn't believe how completely, dully anodyne Clean Bandit were when a friend of mine played me their first album, for instance.

Comment

Oh get up on the downstroke yesterday VA.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JOKn33-q4Ao

I’m going to end up posting that there Maggot Brain in just about every thread. Massively unrepresentative of the whole P-Funk thing but.

Tripping Balls freak out Funkadelic (Local 60s Detroit?) television show live medley (vocal group 1st Gen Parliament seem notably less banjaxed than George and the Funkadelic lads)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q2MbFCF-ugc

Mid Period transitional in drugs and production Funkadelic (with a lovely Curtis Mayfield like vocal):

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=H6SS7JDVRo0

Late 70s Funkadelic white nosebag g-funk/De la Soul creating excess:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?params=E...XU&mode=NORMAL

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3WOZwwRH6XU

No playable Parliament stuff on YouTube here anyways. Mostly sound like the last two.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kVYwZ1hgNiU

Sublime Bootsy silliness as a dim the lights kids to bed dessert.
        Last edited by Lang Spoon; 09-12-2017, 02:21.

Comment

Oh Good Grief, give these poor benighted souls some idea of what the Dead were like:

Early Dead: Dark Star — live this would go on for twenty minutes (weeks?) or so

Dead at their apex: Uncle John's Band Loverly sing-along harmonies. Can't be beat. Think I'll go play some now

Comment

Never heard Sun Ra. The idea is great, but put off ever since hiring out a tape from the local library I was too grossed out to play: the inlay, the c-60, the plastic cover itself, smelled of dried up spit and god knows what. Always gave the Arkestra a pass after that. It’s either going to be right up my street or a massive disappointment by now.

Comment

Dark Star studio version kinda of reminds me of the Beta Band’s 3eps. I don’t hate it at all. Scared to click on a live version but.

Comment

I gave Sun Ra a shot but didn't really get it and I know one Grateful Dead song (Me And My Uncle) so other than a couple of the newer bands with the computer-generated names mentioned up thread the only band mentioned so far that I've heard nothing by is Camel. I wouldn't even be able to guess what they sound like - like Man but with more legs would be my best shot.

Christy Moore, he's someone else I've never knowingly heard.

You can post a link to Maggot Brain whenever you want for me, Mr Spoon.

Comment

Originally posted by Lang Spoon View Post
                  Never heard Sun Ra. The idea is great, but put off ever since hiring out a tape from the local library I was too grossed out to play: the inlay, the c-60, the plastic cover itself, smelled of dried up spit and god knows what. Always gave the Arkestra a pass after that. It’s either going to be right up my street or a massive disappointment by now.
                  Sun Ra is always interesting and often unexpectedly eccentric (The Batman and Robin stuff with Blues Project). A fair bit does nothing for me, but some pieces are regularly on the playlist, like Angels and Demons at Play.

Comment

That was very very good Amor, thanks. The insistent bass line groove grounds it, but that’s proper under 3 minute mind expanding.

Clicked on Space is the Place after. Which was more what I was fearing. Bowfing.

Comment

Yeah. You really need the patience to look for the tracks that click I think. He's certainly not all things for all people music-wise.

Comment

Steeleye Span and Steely Dan.

And another vote for Grateful Dead.

Comment

I despised Steely Dan and their jazz chords for months while I was subjected to their music in a flat share. Now they seem eternal, indispensable. It’s hard to imagine how violently my ears reacted to this cheesy smoothness. I had to hear the waspish as fuck lyrics, get lost in the stories, before I really got it.

More straight-ahead SFA sampled Showbiz Kids helped acclimatize me to them as well.
                          Last edited by Lang Spoon; 08-12-2017, 23:07.

Comment

Originally posted by Amor de Cosmos View Post
                            Early Dead: Dark Star — live this would go on for twenty minutes (weeks?) or so
                            Are you aware of Grayfolded? A guy spliced together over 100 live versions of Dark Star into one, long, two-hour song. Why? I guess because he could.

Comment

Oh aye, found some prime 70s live Parliament that’ll play on Irish YouTube. Swing down sweet chariot lads. OutKast were at their best when they hit the Afro Futurism/deadly serious absurdism tip as well. Every band should have a touring spaceship.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GT3ecv01xDE
                              Last edited by Lang Spoon; 09-12-2017, 00:42.

Comment

Seems there’s a shit ton of live if not studio mid 70s Parliament on YouTube anyways (mostly same core Clinton Worrell and Bootsy etc sometimes band as Funkadelic with added ex JB horns and more r&b ness). Now I’ll stop force feeding George Clinton to ye. He shoulda run for 45. President Clinton of our Hearts. And Third Eye.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3JSuAiWgs8I

And despite (because of?) the Seinfeld slap happy bass, Funkadelic’s Undisco Kidd will always make me dance like a spanner.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Jc4kFz4d4-g
                                Last edited by Lang Spoon; 09-12-2017, 03:30.

Comment

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dMbC__R24t0

India from Sun Ra. The electric piano reminds me of In a Silent Way, which must be a decade later than 56 at least. The future is (was) now. Really have been missing out, this is actually good stuff, not just a Bobby Gillespie/Mojo/Uncut prescribed idea of what’s good.

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                                    Are you aware of Grayfolded? A guy spliced together over 100 live versions of Dark Star into one, long, two-hour song. Why? I guess because he could.
                                    No, but it doesn't surprise me — except that'd be only a little over a minute per version, which seems extremely un-Deadly.

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Gardner View Post
                                      Aye the Goat on a Boat does it for me too. Top notch soul pop
                                      That’s taken me like a day to get that. Fuck sake I'm seriously worrying now, about the old cognitive health. Maybes premature senility is my ticket to early retirement. And dying alone festering in my own keech.

Comment

I'm with VA on modern hiphop. I've just not heard any. Kendrick Lamarr, or Drake, or Chance The Rapper. I guess I must have heard it, but am just totally unaware of what it sounds like.

Comment

When I hear grime, I feel really bloody old. Liquid Swords is over 20 years old, and still sounds fresh to me. Jesus.

Comment

Kendrick's To Pimp a Butterfly is well worth a shot, IMO. (Drake, on the other hand, I can happily live without...)

Beyond the legend of Jerome Garcia himself, I'm not at all au fait with the Dead. I've heard bits and pieces of their early material - and like many, am familiar with 'the hit' (Touch of Grey) - but my new g/f, it turns out, is something of a fan, so I imagine that this will be amended before too long.

It's remarkable how many of whom I hear dismissing Steely Dan as jazz-noodlers until they actually listen to the records properly. They were a great, great band.

And P-funk is, of course, monstrously good.

Comment

Originally posted by Jah Womble View Post
                                              Kendrick's To Pimp a Butterfly is well worth a shot, IMO. (Drake, on the other hand, I can happily live without...)
                                              TPaB and Damn are both well worth your time. I bought both - with actual money - and listen to them frequently. Sort of freaks my kids out a bit. Drake is a whole lot of 'meh'.

Beyond the legend of Jerome Garcia himself, I'm not at all au fait with the Dead. I've heard bits and pieces of their early material - and like many, am familiar with 'the hit' (Touch of Grey) - but my new g/f, it turns out, is something of a fan, so I imagine that this will be amended before too long.
                                              Excellent news. I like her already.

It's remarkable how many of whom I hear dismissing Steely Dan as jazz-noodlers until they actually listen to the records properly. They were a great, great band.
                                              It's not the jazz noodly part that turns me off. It's the schmaltzy lyrics. They don't just sound like they were written for elevators, but in elevators. I mean, could Rikki Don't... be any more tepid? What's their best album, if I wanted to give them a go, like?

Comment

Schmaltzy???? Listen again eh buddy. Dan are the least sentimental band ever.

Comment

Look, don't get cocky Can-man. Even my musical spirit guide Incandenza fucks up now and then.

Comment

Yeah, see, I just listened to Any Major Dude and Pretzel Logic again and it's exactly what I was expecting. It's perfect. It's lovely. It's currently playing in my dentist's office.
                                                    Meh...it's just ... I dunno. I don't get the big deal. It's so polished and produced, but there's not soul to it. It's so '70s-MOR-FM Radio it makes my teeth hurt.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X