Brushes With Celebrity Part 45

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I lived in Los Angeles so had plenty of minor brushes with celebrities, including playing football at various times against Rod Stewart, Steve Jones and Vinnie Jones (he was sent off in the match for kicking a buddy of mine!) but my favorite was when I was a student and worked as a driver for ABC-TV during the 1984 Los Angeles Olympics. I was bringing a videotape(that dates this reference right there!) back from the volleyball venue in Long Beach to ABC's then studios in Hollywood and as I was in the studio's hallway making a left, around the blind corner was Howard Cosell who coughed right in my face. I said "Excuse me!" quite loudly and kept going on my way as I was told to get the tape to the broadcast studio in a rush. Just then it dawned on me that was Howard Cosell (a noted but polemical US TV broadcaster from the 1960s-90s) who just coughed on me. I was by now about 6 steps beyond him but I turned around and looked back and Cosell was staring at me. "Cover your mouth next time" I shouted to him then quickly walked away!

Comment

My other good brush with celebrity story took place not in Los Angeles but Bloomington, Indiana where I attended law school. A classmate was connected with the local music scene and told us in our first year there would be a good band playing at a house party one night. The band was in town recording at John Mellencamp's studio in Bloomington and were quite good. But the party eventually got too noisy and the police came and shut it down. Afterwards I was sitting on the house's front patio having a beer with the band's lead singer, a tall guy named Michael who was a decent but somewhat shy guy. "I hope you guys make it big one day" was my parting words to him after we small talked for about 15 minutes. The band was REM and the lead singer of course was Michael Stipe.

Comment

Professionalism gets in the way of bravado in this case. But the celebrity quotient of parents evening and the school run at my place of work will double come January....and as the PE teacher, the pressure is on me in particular (as it has since the other family with sporting pedigree started at the school 5 years ago).

Comment

I spent a few years as room service in a big, central, Edinburgh hotel...

Best celebrity tipper was former Home Secretary Ken Baker, came across as a lovely man too. We didn't talk politics.

Former Lancs/England cricketer Paul Allott was great when he clocked my still then broad Mancunian accent.

Supergrass and Sean Hughes were all miserable.

We also used to get Russell Latapy and Dwight Yorke coming in but obviously this is a respectable board, so can't really go into that.

Comment

Back in 2008/9, I fell into a group who would drink in a new, trendy bar in Manchester so there'd always be Coronation Street types in there.

One of my new chums, an established TV actor himself, used to stand next to Reece Dinsdale at the bar and attempt covert impressions of John Thaw in Home To Roost. Somebody else once bellowed "SHADWELL ARMY!" across the bar at him and had the Vs flicked at him for his trouble.

Comment

My wife used to work as a Front Desk Enquiries Officer for West Mids Police.

One day she got a call from a chap who had his hotel room broken into and laptop stolen. It turned out to be Lloyd Grossman.

When she got to the part of the form that asked how the thief/burglar/scrote may have entered the premises/room there was a pause. Quick as a flash and before Mr Grossman could reply my wife said “Don’t tell me-through the key hole...”

Apparently he laughed.

She also used to get assorted Premiership players in who invariably had to produce their documents after sundry motoring offenses. When she would ask their profession and they replied professional footballer with WBA/Villa/Brum/whoever she would always reply “Never heard of you”.

Comment

Penelope Keith was in the Rosemarkie bistro last night. She's not as tall as I expected.

Comment

One of my regular is Steffen Henssler, who's the German equivalent of Jamie Oliver. I pretend I don't know who he is, he pretends he doesn't know where he is.

Another regular is Manfred Kaltz. Two Krombachers and a full ashtray.

Comment

I was queuing up for merch at the Muppets gig in the O2 on Saturday and the guy behind us was crew with a badge saying "Right Hand". Obviously a jobbing puppeteer doing the right hands on various Muppets. I couldn't quite pluck up courage to ask which ones. Or why he was in the merch queue.

Comment

Julia Roberts bumped into me with a supermarket cart in Taos. She said "Sorry."

Talked about cricket for 5 minutes with Mick Jagger. Pleasant.

One of my student jobs was cab driving and I drove Ronnie Barker (delightful man), Meg Ryan (really nice but wouldn't shut up. Tipped me well.) and Ray Reardon (complained about the traffic). Not at the same time.

Spoke to Jesse L. Martin at the airport in Kansas City. I think I bored him.

Saw Michael Douglas in a restaurant In Farmington.

Val Kilmer was in the courtroom while I was arguing a case. I didn't notice him.

I let Jodie Foster go ahead of me at the airport in Albuquerque. She was in a hurry. She said "Thanks. Appreciate it."

Comment

Back when Elvis Costello lived in Dublin he came into my workplace on a Friday with an envelope "I need this in England tomorrow "He said. I had to disappoint him because even next day service is only Monday to Friday,couldn't help noticing it was a greetings card addressed to a Mrs Mc Manus in Liverpool. Guess which fancy dan rock star missed his mammies birthday in 1998 then

Comment

Originally posted by WOM View Post
                          One of the blokes on CNN has been dating a friend of mine for two years. As he's not 'out' publicly, I'll just leave it at that.
                          Well, can the tale be told about Anderson Cooper yet, WOM?

Comment

Hah...wasn't AC. Shit...now I can't remember his name. Gimme a second.

Comment

Uh...he's apparently still publicly denying he's gay, so Imma have to leave it for now.

Comment

Hmm...have no idea who it is, then. Don Lemon is also out, and that's about my extent of knowledge of CNN hosts.

Comment

*cough*PM*cough*

Comment

Working...
                                  X