Brushes With Celebrity Part 45

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the last week I have sat in the same train compartment as Rowan Atkinson and, more importantly, stood in the same bank queue as Craig Levein

Comment

Oh, and as I'm sure I've mentioned before, I saw Dave Gahan and his wife in a parking garage in Greenwich Village in NYC a few winters back. I also once saw Sam Donaldson (ABC Newsman) in a parking garage in DC.

Does knowing Chelsea Clinton's fiancee count as a brush with Celebrity?
      Yes. What's he like? My prejudice would say he's a typical privately educated, establishment-dick-sucking bore, but I'm willing to be told otherwise.

Comment

My sister spent a week at a service camp with her back in high school. My sis also, at the time, sorta looked like her, same hair, so the media kept trying to interview her. (She said C.C. was totally nice.)

Comment

She's breathtaking.

Comment

WornOldMotorbike wrote:
            Dr. Ruth...
            Heh...she discussed me once on air.
            So, are you going to tell us the rest of this story? [/nosy]

Comment

Last year I was standing near James Gandolfini (Tony Soprano) in The Griffin, Clerkenwell. Two things stick in my mind about this. Firstly, he couldn't get his head around the concept of 'a pound in the pint-pot' and secondly all the dancers and customers ,except me, were completely indifferent to him being in there.

Comment

Heliotrope wrote:
                WornOldMotorbike wrote:
                Dr. Ruth...
                Heh...she discussed me once on air.
                So, are you going to tell us the rest of this story? [/nosy]
                Oh, sorry. Yeah, I was seeing a girl at university whose parents were really old, and whose views on ...er...physical relations were wildly out of step with their daughter's. They were causing her all sorts of grief and, for reasons lost to time, she decided to call Dr Ruth's phone in show for her views on the matter.

Comment

Stephen!....Just coming! wrote:
                  Firstly, he couldn't get his head around the concept of 'a pound in the pint-pot'
                  What does that mean?

Comment

I can't claim to be an expert in the notion of 'a pound in the pint-pot', and I don't frequent establishments that indulge in it (honest, guv), but I am inferring from Stephen's post that The Griffin, Clerkenwell is some sort of strip joint, and quite a seedy one at that, where a pint pot is passed around the clientele, who are then expected to fill it with pound coins as a token of gratitude for the young lady performing. It seems that Mr. Gandolfini may have been less than forthcoming in proferring his pound coins.

Comment

Ah. Thank you.
                      Our tradition is to slip a neatly folded bill into the young lady's g-string.

Comment

Or, for better tracking of expenses, swiping a debit card down the cra...

Comment

Make that an audience of two, WOM.

Comment

Yes, I always thought you were supposed to give your tips directly to the lady. Seems more fair and less prone to the landlord skimming some off for himself.

Comment

The pint pot isn't passed around, it is offered to you by the dancer herself who is walking around before taking to the stage so there is no chance of the landlord skimming some of the money for himself. The proper name for this is 'jugging'.

Comment

[b]

Does knowing Chelsea Clinton's fiancee count as a brush with Celebrity?
                                Yes. What's he like? My prejudice would say he's a typical privately educated, establishment-dick-sucking bore, but I'm willing to be told otherwise.[/quote]
                                Seemed very nice but I only met him the once and I'm not totally sure which one of them he was :-)My son travelled round the states on greyhound buses, at the end of his first year at Glasgow School of Art, with his friend Mez, and it's Mez's brother that's engaged to CC. Mez's mother and a few of his siblings flew over for the graduation ceremony and we went for a Chinese meal in Glasgow with them. I mainly talked to the mother who was very interesting. She was apparently the first female TV woman into Vietnam and is a big wimmins campaigner in the states.She was a Congresswoman or senator(never can remember which is which) under the Clintons and so was her husband, until he got sent to jail for a multi million dollar fraud just as Enron hit the fan..bad timing. Old jewish Democrat family, one of the brothers worked for Goldman Sachs but I don't know if he's the one with CC.
                                Further related brush with Celebrity :
                                My son's plan was to spend his last day or two in New York before flying home and he cadged a lift from a guy called Clay who ran some art thing in Rhode Island and was driving down to his place in Manhatton. On the drive down my son asked him about his name "What exactly is a Rockerfeller ?"
                                My son hung out a bit with Clay before getting his flight home at 1am on the morning of 911..and then missing his connection from Paris thus scaring the shit out of his mother and I as we waited for the next flight at 4pm with the airline refusing to tell us if he'd made the flight from New York because of "Data Protection"

Yet more brush's:

The flat downstairs from me used to be theatrical digs and I've shared the lift with Geoff Capes and with Christopher Cazenove

Comment

Lift mention offers the opportunity to repeat yet again my sharing of a lift with Chubby Checker. I advised him that The Twist apparently initated the er, activitites, that resulted in my being conceived. He and his bodyguards looked suitably impressed. There was very little room in the lift as we wre all quite portly.

Comment

Not many recently but include in the past being 'made bald' by Kevin Keegan and meeting both the current British PM ('out on the town') & Chancellor (taking a budget flight from Glasgow!).
                                    And making Matt Damon chuckle in Charing X station, on set, at 5am.

But one of the nicer ones was meeting Shay Given's dad, Seamus. In Glasgow & Montenegro, as you might?
                                    While Roy Hodgson still owes me that drink, but Eddie Gray has always been a proper gent.

Sadly it was my pal who saw Amanda Burton but Helena Christensen was Way out of my league. But yes, I would.

Comment

Last year I was standing near James Gandolfini (Tony Soprano) in The Griffin, Clerkenwell.
                                      Oh, I met his sister in Harrods

Comment

Travelled in an elevator with Donny Osmond in Minneapolis.

Stood at the same Amsterdam bar as Bruce Springsteen, though he was surrounded by the four biggest security guys in world history.

At the same bar two seats down from Kylie Minogue, but didn't notice it was her until she got up to leave. Totally unremarkable looking woman, you wouldn't notice her if she walked into your local.

At that same bar I had at various times conversations with Darryl Hall (nice bloke) - Paula Weller (plonker) - her out of T'Pau (sex obsessed, or possibly just drunk) - Barney out of New Order (nice) - Nina Hagen (deeply strange) - Dusty Roads of ZZ Top (who was negotiating his divorce on one of those new-fangled mobile phone things. By the end of the evening his wife got the Harley Davidsons but he kept the horses) - Vanilla Ice (fellow bicycling nut, but slightly dim).

I was in charge of security for the Sri Lanken cricket team for two days.

At the same tournament I introduced a woman to Clive Lloyd who claimed to have an appointment with him. She didn't. She turned out to be a total nutcase who started beating him about the head with her parasol. That was the end of my short career in the security business.

I brought Aleem Dar a Coca Cola. Beat that, if you can...

Comment

I was dead chuffed to be 90% sure I'd spotted Ricky Gervais having a coffee with a friend at the next table from me in the Highgate branch of Cafe Rouge last Saturday.

That is, I was chuffed about that until my ex-wife explained to me later in the day that the same morning I had failed to notice yummy mummy Fay Ripley standing about two feet away from me at my daughter's school.

Comment

I think I shared an elevator with Jay-Z in Orlando, but I'm not sure it was him.

I almost forgot one more. I saw Bruce Hornsby (of Bruce Hornsby and The Range fame) in the Philadelphia airport.

I saw the guy who's on Nightline in the fancy grocery store. I also saw that guy on CNN there.

I think I saw Michael Wilbon in the Giant at like 2 am a few months back, but I'm not sure it was him. It probably was.

Comment

I was standing at a corner in my neighborhood Saturday, waiting for the green light, when a car stopped to ask for directions from a guy who was also waiting. In the back seat of the car, visible through the open window: Jack Nicholson.

Comment

Reed of the Valley People wrote:
                                                I saw the guy who's on Nightline in the fancy grocery store. I also saw that guy on CNN there.
                                                And who wouldn't remember seeing those two?

Comment

I don't know their names. I just know they're on TV.

Comment

One of the blokes on CNN has been dating a friend of mine for two years. As he's not 'out' publicly, I'll just leave it at that.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X