Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charity

Well, this is kind of interesting.

Yes, the author's a wanker, but he's making an intriguing point. I suspect that in fact he's picking up a false correlation and the actual trigger is frequency of religious observance, but that's just a guess.

Charity

Yeah, tithing and church-based or -affiliated charities will have skewed the statistics considerably.

Comment

Charity

Except for the giving blood thing. Unless you're thinking of some of the more arcane church ceremonies.

Comment

Charity

I think even allowing for church-based charities, the observant have higher rates of charitable giving than the non-observant.

Pinback notes the most obvious example of this.

Comment

Charity

It would be interesting to control for chuch-based charities, and the fact that the spread isn't that huge without any such control makes me wonder if you are right about that.

As to the blood thing, it isn't unusual for evangelical churches to organise blood drives (particularly mega-churches). That obviously doesn't apply to Jehovah's Witnesses.

Though it is perfectly possible that my view on this is overly coloured by personal experience.

Comment

Charity

Ah, the ever-punchable George Will.

Surely most of this is the fact that "conservatives" advocate individual charity in many circumstances where "liberals" would advocate a systematic, collective response?

In any case, this "We're nicer people than you" stuff is puerile. On both sides. That's not what it's about.

Comment

Working...
            X