Current gaming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Current gaming

Anybody played the Rock Band version for the PSP yet? Curious as to whether its worth the purchase.

Comment

Current gaming

I'm playing World Of Goo on the Wii. Fantastic fun, very imaginative and, as a Wiiware download, preposterously cheap.

Comment

Current gaming

I hate to bear bad news, Hobbes, but apparently the PS3 version got shortchanged, despite the fact that it's being published by Sony in Europe.

Comment

Current gaming

Yeah, I saw mention of that elsewhere. It's a little less sharp, which I suppose is annoying (although judging from the video there, the people look better in the PS3 one and everything else in the 360 one.)
          To be honest though, I'm not really that bothered as long as the game is fun. I still sometimes play wipeout 2097.
          I wouldn't change machines to be honest. I use the PS3 more as a Blu Ray player and a way to watch matroska files than a games machine generally.

Comment

Current gaming

John Godot wrote:
            Street Fighter IV - Still getting used to the controls, but it's a great fighting game, I reckon.
            I've got this, and i am rubbish at it. I can remember the good old SNES SFII days, when I completed it with every character within a day of getting it. Maybe I'm just too old to grasp the mechanic now.

Comment

Current gaming

Oh cheers GY. When I read your post about a Blood Bowl game, of course I just had to investigate, and of course I ended up buying the bloody thing...

Looks quite good, but I've only played the AI thus far.

Comment

Current gaming

Haven't tried the multiplayer myself, so I'm not sure how it works, but we should play a match some time.

Comment

Current gaming

Furtho wrote:
                  I'm playing World Of Goo on the Wii. Fantastic fun, very imaginative and, as a Wiiware download, preposterously cheap.
                  It's brilliant, isn't it? One of those games you struggle with and then give up on because it's so difficult. But then, a week or so later, whilst you're walking to work or doing the ironing, you suddenly think, "What if I put more support under the bottom of the bridge and decrease the weight of the cantilever support arm?" Turn on the Wii and you're back up and running.

I bought Bit Trip Beat because someone mentioned it on another thread. Whilst it's undoubtedly cool and clever, I just can't play it, it makes my eyes insanely sore after about 3 minutes. Not only that, but it takes up a huge amount of space/blocks on the Wii.

Comment

Current gaming

I've been playing Overlord II and Anno 1404, both of which are very good.
                    Overlord, for those who aren't familiar with the original, is basically Pikmin, but with upgradable minions and, well, evil. One of the earliest tasks in the game is clubbing a whole load of baby seals to harvest their life force. The sequel is very much more of the same, but with a lot of the annoyances of the first game ironed out. Top stuff.

Anno 1404 is the latest in the German citybuilding series, and again is more of the same, but it looks absolutely gorgeous, as you can see if you head over to Fidgit.

I've also been playing some Company of Heroes with Raskolnikov - still the greatest real time strategy game ever, and I'm going back to World Of Goo because I left off before World 4, which I hear changes the game completely.

Comment

Current gaming

Anno 1404 looks wonderful GY. How does it compare to Civ or Rome Total War gameplay-wise?

Comment

Current gaming

Nothing like them at all. It's closest to the Caesar/Pharaoh games, with a hefty bit of naval trading and some very basic combat. It's mostly about city planning, managing supply chains and satisfying your citizens' needs.

Comment

Current gaming

Has anyone tried the 1 vs 100 thing on XBLA yet?

Comment

Current gaming

The first games (in Europe) are this evening, aren't they? I hear from people who've tried the US beta that it's pretty fun.

Comment

Current gaming

Well, I had a go last evening, and I can confirm it is pretty fun. It's hard to gauge how fun the final game will be without the One/Mob dynamic in place, but it's a pretty decent trivia game (especially since it was free). I did pretty well, despite a shaky start when I was a bit too quick off the trigger, and the fact that about a fifth of the questions were about the UEFA cup (seriously, what's the deal with that?). I made up for that with my superficial knowledge of science and classical history/mythology and some judicious use of the skip bonus, which preserves your streak. Clearly getting long streaks is the way to score big.

Comment

Current gaming

Yeah, I had a crack at it last night too. Pretty decent fun, especially for free, as you said. I managed to win my little group of 4 too, despite seeming to get an inordinate amount of skiing / ski jumping related questions. No idea what that was about.

Comment

Current gaming

I couldn't quite work out the group of four mechanic. Is there any broader meaning to it in terms of prizes and such, or is it just to make the competition more human? And can you arrange it so that your friends are in the group?

Comment

Current gaming

I'm not too sure, to be honest. Possibly you're right, maybe it's to give you an element of competition other than seeing if you can answer a series of sterile questions on your own.

You can invite others in to the pre-game lobby, yes; so you could potentially play against 4 friends over live, which adds another interesting element.

Comment

Current gaming

Trying 1 vs 100, I see potential. Or at least, I can see it hooking me in, which is a first for anything to which the term "MMO" has been attached. I was convinced I was heading for the scoreboard until it started having questions about lakes in Albania and suchlike and ruined my streak.

Generally though I've mostly been playing Gears of War 2, despite my complete lack of skill. I particularly like the Horde mode. Don't really get on with RPGs, even RPG-lite like Fallout 3, which I recently borrowed off a friend. I just can't take that type of game seriously. Consequently I ended up putting my entire points quota into the "luck" attribute and consistently chose the most sociopathic dialogue option. This didn't seem to hamper progress.

Comment

Current gaming

If you haven't already, check out the demo for Batman: Arkham Asylum. I didn't really have any expectations for this game until very recently, but the demo has completely won me over. The combat is satisfyingly crunchy and not overly complex. There's loads of ways to take down bad guys stealthily and stylishly. It's got the cast from the excellent animated series. My only concern is that the demo's too short to get a feel for how the game as a whole will play out - it's not clear whether the gameplay evolves much or just stays the same throughout.

Comment

Current gaming

Mumpo - you gave me a real nostalgia-worm (by, that's clumsy) with that Usborne space-game book, I had that, along with the knights/medieval one and the WWII one. I think there was a Western one as well? Great fun.

And those of you talking about Europa Universalis & Hearts of Iron, I'm a major Paradox Interactive gamer, not played EU3 yet, but plenty of EU2. I got talking to a chap on atrain recently who's a playtester for HoI3, sounds all jolly exciting.

Big fan of their Crusader Kings too, any further recommendations of Paradox-style games gratefully accepted.

Comment

Current gaming

Their other big game is Victoria, which is basically an incredibly detailed empire management sim. There aren't all that many companies that make games like Paradox (well - there's probably quite a few in Germany that we never hear of in the English speaking world), but you might like the Anno series. It's a very different genre (city building and trading), but it has a similar appeal of tinkering with your economy and watching things slowly unfold. You might also want to try out Axis and Allies, which you can play online at GameTable. It's an old board game, so it's a fair bit simpler than most Paradox games, but very much in the same vein.

Comment

Current gaming

Yeah, I have Victoria, it's installed, patched, but I've not yet played it. I've started a game or two but got lost almost immediately and with my perma-problem of not having the internet at home it's a bit of a bind with strategy guides & the Paradox Forums etc., I guess I should just download some to my memory stick, print them from some other computer and then keep them in my study. Or get broadband.

These Anno games sound fun, I was a big Sim City fan on the SNES, so I will look more into them - I take it they're English language, not German (or Latin)? I could probably just about get away with games in German, but easier if I don't have to.

And, well, this is where I'm outed as an utter spod. I have A&A for the PC, bought second hand for buttons, but I've never been able to get it to run. But, I've been a player of the boardgame for over twenty years and am due to go round my mate's tonight to continue our four-player game of the Limited Edition Revised Third (I think) Edition that my mate had specially shipped from New Zealand as we weren't able to find a copy elsewhere...

Comment

Current gaming

There's a freeware rip-off of A&A called TripleA. The makers were ordered to pull it down by Hasbro, but it's a piece of piss to find on the forums.

As for the Anno games, the developers are German, but they've all been released in English editions. About the only problem is that the main official forum is German language, although there is a much smaller English language one (and a dedicated Steam forum for 1404). The DS version of Anno 1701 is probably the best strategy game on the platform.

Comment

Current gaming

Oh, and if you don't already, you should listen to the Three Moves Ahead podcast. It sounds like it would be right up your street.

Comment

Current gaming

All good stuff, thanks, I'll look into those with the usual mumble about lack of internet making it hard! There's a schoolboy joke in there somewhere.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X