• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael Jackson is dead

1. Billie Jean
    2. I Want You Back
    3. Shit...
    4. You don't know where to start, do you?
    5. Can I have a Top 30?

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

Prey, tell more VS. Was Jones a violent 'big brother'.

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

Yeah there's plenty of gag potential here for the chuckleheads but christ, I'm fucking shellshocked by this. Shellshocked and bereft of any real words to say.We grew up to this guy, he's as intimately woven in with our memories of childhood as anything.

I've already been appalled by the conjecture and smirkiness on display across the news networks and choose to remember him these ways for now

Lookin Thru THe Windows

Dancing Machine

The joy and embarassment of the last 2 minutes of the Dancing Machine clip are glorious. RIP you true star.

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

I'm having flashbacks to waking up to my mother wailing with tears when she found out that Elvis had gone and her being so incoherent that for a few minutes I thought it was my Dad that had died.
          Brrrr

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

Fuck me, it's hard to recognise Al Sharpton

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

Poor lad worked his entire life knowing deep down that he'd never better the first ever record he released. That cant of helped.

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

Is that charlatan still actually on the go?

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

I think he may be outside the hospital, hard to tell as the BBC are jumping around like fuck (and I am listening to some of Jackson's music).

Is Jeff Goldblum really dead too?!

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

George at asda wrote:
                    Prey, tell more VS. Was Jones a violent 'big brother'.
                    He was whacked out of his mind on coke during the recording of Thriller and, one afternoon, Jacko paid a terrible price. That's all I know though.

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

His statue, Derek. His statue was big.
                      Good work.

The guy from Q was kind of alright, actually, he was actually saying it would be shit if there were loads of Jacko cover versions.

It's strange to recall just how completely irrelevant he was for the best part of two decades. As his music got progressively worse, the god complex got bigger and bigger. He was a nauseating figure through most or recent memory.

Still, he was whacking out absolute killer singles while he was still in single digits.

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

Apparently the Jeff Goldblum thing is not true, and was started up on some web news site by people who are still giddy about Jackson dying.

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

He was whacked out of his mind on coke during the recording of Thriller and, one afternoon, Jacko paid a terrible price. That's all I know though.
                          "No squeaks motherf cker!"

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

Nishlord wrote:
                            1. Billie Jean
                            2. I Want You Back
                            3. Shit...
                            4. You don't know where to start, do you?
                            5. Can I have a Top 30?
                            1. I Want You Back
                            2. Off The Wall
                            3. P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)
                            4. No fuck it, I can't do it either.
                            5. Perhaps if we restricted it to a top 5 videos?

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

Echoing Nish, this is the best, and only, conversation to have:

1 Billie Jean
                              2 I Want You Back
                              3 Don't stop till you get enough
                              4 Get on the floor
                              5 The love you save

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

I remember Thomas Dolby telling the story on his blog of going to Michael Jackson's house when he was trying to escape his own record company executives after arriving in LA. I can't find the original, but he tells a version of it in this interview with the Independent.

In publicity for Dolby's recent compilation, the EMI marketing folks revealed that the song Hyperactive was "the result of a bizarre evening spent at Michael Jackson’s house". Tonight the lyrics seem so grotesquely prescient I can't bring myself to reprint them here, but they can, of course, be easily found.

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

He had two outstanding - out-fucking-STANDING - careers, and half a mental one.

It would be nice to think all the monkey-owning, oxygen tank, Jesus Juice bullshit will finally fall away and the real talent will be appreciated again.

But it won't be in this shitty era.

(and that acapella that SR has probably put up while I'm typing this has ruined me)

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

I'm sad he's dead, but heartened that ALL the comments I've seen so far (on several forums) have appreciated his talent and left all the other shit alone.

Don't Stop and Wanna Be Starting Something are floorfillers like no other, eh.

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

1. Billie Jean
                                      2. Thriller
                                      3. I Want You Back
                                      4. Don't Stop 'Till You Get Enough
                                      5. Another Part Of Me*

* most pop stars pale in comparison to this kind of stuff

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

A thing about geniuses like MJ and Bowie is that even in their worst work there will often be something, some little musical phrase, that other artists would die for, hence all the sampling/remixing.

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

Even over the long term, it's going to be difficult to separate the music from two decades of a faintly ridiculous and very sad life.

Still, as its already been said, the first three solo albums have enough killer tracks to make most other artists weep.

I always preferred the Motown/CBS stuff with his brothers.

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

Even over the long term, it's going to be difficult to separate the music from two decades of a faintly ridiculous and very sad life.
                                            Well, some of the mad stuff was kind of superfly. Probably most of it, actually. Who wouldn't want a personal zoo? Apart from the ethical issues, but it's almost CF Kane type business, innit?

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

Yeah, i couldn't care less for the notion that his bizarre lifestyle(bar the child abuse allegations) turned people off him.
                                              Pop stars are supposed to be pretty much insane.

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

I expected this to be more earth shattering. It should be, given his legend which didn't wane, unlike his talent, his judgment, his state of mind even.

In a way, the speed of his demise might just be a blessing.

He spent the first half of his life taking over the planet, only for that world to crumble round him in the latter half. Having believed in his talent he started to believe in his own hype, which more or less destroyed everything he accomplished.

What I perhaps will never understand was that there were fans just as deluded as he was who felt that the O2 arena gigs would see his glorious return. The same fans who thought he could do no wrong. It was an obsession as unhealthy as he was in the end.

All I'll say is, remember him this way...

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

It's testament to how good his early stuff was that there's this amount of coverage about the death of a man who, let's face it, hadn't put out a top-class record since Aston Villa were champions of Europe.

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

Thanks for that clip, that's completely amazing.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X