Michael Jackson is dead

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Michael Jackson is dead

It's a hell of a fuss to make about one man, isn't it.

Still, I suppose that's human nature.

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

I feel a bit numb to be honest. You don't truly realise how massive a figure he was until he's gone.

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

BTW, I work at UCLA, though not on campus, but still not all that far from the hospital. A coworker who's boyfriend can see the hospital from his office window says the street out front is jammed with cars, and we just saw some double-decker tour buses driving up that way--we generally don't get those in this area, so I imagine they're going to try to get a look at the hospital.

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

Just watching MSNBC, who have someone called Mark Lester on, who is the godfather of Jackson's children. Lester wasn't aware he was on air at first and was chirpily saying goodbye to someone on the phone. As soon as he realized he was on air his voice went down a few octaves and he put on his best 'solemn' voice to do his 'we are so devastated' thing. Nice.

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

Swells' last published sentence is sounding kind of eerie right now, no?
            Damn, yeah.

Reminds me of when Ian Penman did a review recently of a John Martyn compilation, and said it felt posthumous – just a couple of months before he died.

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

BBC and Sky now reporting death as confirmed.

He never did get to see Exeter City back in the league.

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

Weird to think he was 50. That being really young to die, and really old for someone like Michael Jackson.

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

Prince is now King.

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

Prince has been King since 1985.

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

No, wait, I forgot. Chuck Berry lives.

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

That is fantastic SR.

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

Paul Gambaccini on News 24: "I was out his house 24 years ago. I met the llama, I met the snake..."

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

hobbes wrote:
                              Prince has been King since 1985.
                              There is only one King...

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

Paul Gambaccini is on BBC News 24, drawing some deeply dubious analogies between Jacko and Paul McCartney on the one hand, and Jacko and Elton John on the other -- the former pairing supposedly being a contrast in terms of clean living, and the latter apparently being birds of a feather.

Unless Elton has got up to some really, really bad shit under the counter in his private life that the rest of the world is not aware of, I'm not sure that one stacks up.

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

I think this is what we're mostly going to be hearing

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

BBC News' reporter at Glastonbury: "And now we turn to the keyboard player from one of this weekend's bands, Tommy Bowen from White Lies..."

Christ.

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

Who's this on now discussing the impact the death will have on fucking Glastonbury and how many cover versions there'll be at the festival in tribute?!

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

vennegoor strokes wrote:
                                        Paul Gambaccini is on BBC News 24, drawing some deeply dubious analogies between Jacko and Paul McCartney on the one hand, and Jacko and Elton John on the other -- the former pairing supposedly being a contrast in terms of clean living, and the latter apparently being birds of a feather.

Unless Elton has got up to some really, really bad shit under the counter in his private life that the rest of the world is not aware of, I'm not sure that one stacks up.
                                        It would be strangely fitting for both of them, though, if Elton decided to do another re-release of 'Candle In The Wind' in memoriam.

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

Harry Truscott wrote:
                                          Who's this on now discussing the impact the death will have on fucking Glastonbury and how many cover versions there'll be at the festival in tribute?!
                                          That was the managing editor of Q.

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

diggedy derek wrote:
                                            I wouldn't be surprised if there would be a news flash on the BBC about this. His stature is that big.
                                            His statue, Derek. His statue was big.

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

vennegoor strokes wrote:
                                              The wearing of a toupee that lousy can only be explained as some kind of penance for past sins.

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

Mumpo wrote:
                                                diggedy derek wrote:
                                                I wouldn't be surprised if there would be a news flash on the BBC about this. His stature is that big.
                                                His statue, Derek. His statue was big.

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

From the New York Times website:

“I am absolutely devastated at this tragic and unexpected news,” the music producer Quincy Jones said in a statement read by MSNBC. Mr. Jones said Mr. Jackson “had it all — talent, grace, professionalism and dedication.” Mr. Jones said added, “I’ve lost my little brother today, and part of my soul has gone with him.”
                                                  Ha ha ha, yeah, the little brother who you kicked senseless around the floor of the studio because he was putting too many squeaks into the vocals of 'Billie Jean'. Good man Quincy . . .

Comment

Michael Jackson is dead

Spearmint Rhino wrote:
                                                    Harry Truscott wrote:
                                                    That was the managing editor of Q.
                                                    I need a name, I should know him but I don't. It's not Dave Henderson, is it?

Wierd, this is the biggest pop death since...Lennon I suppose but the coverage is makingit seem banal. They really should shut down until the morning and they've got something worthwhile prepared.

I'm having flashbacks to waking up to my mother wailing with tears when she found out that Elvis had gone and her being so incoherent that for a few minutes I thought it was my Dad that had died.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X