Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An Evening With Henry Olonga.... Singer.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe this is more widly known, but I just found this out today.

Whilst walking past Taunton School a couple of days ago I saw a banner advertising a forthcoming 'Evening with Henry Olonga'. I presumed it would be an evening of anecdotes and Q&A and given the state of Zimbabwe cricket and politics it might well be interesting so thought I'd look into it.

But no, it appears that Henry has turned himself into a Tenor and will be performing solo and with 'talented pupils' from the school.

www.henryolonga.net will give you details of his CD as well.

All very odd indeed.

I heard him on the radio the other day. Sounded OK, but I've no pretensions in opera crit.

Comment

It's not that odd, he's been a professional singer almost a long as he's been a cricketer. He's got a very nice voice.

I use to communicate with him by email a fair bit. After he was thrown out of Zimbabwe I sent him a paragraph from Henry David Thoreau's "On the Duty of Civil Disobedience".

This bit..

"The mass of men serve the state thus, not as men mainly, but as machines, with their bodies. They are the standing army, and the militia, jailers, constables, posse comitatus, etc. In most cases there is no free exercise whatever of the judgement or of the moral sense; but they put themselves on a level with wood and earth and stones; and wooden men can perhaps be manufactured that will serve the purpose as well. Such command no more respect than men of straw or a lump of dirt. They have the same sort of worth only as horses and dogs. Yet such as these even are commonly esteemed good citizens. Others--as most legislators, politicians, lawyers, ministers, and office-holders--serve the state chiefly with their heads; and, as the rarely make any moral distinctions, they are as likely to serve the devil, without intending it, as God. A very few--as heroes, patriots, martyrs, reformers in the great sense, and men--serve the state with their consciences also, and so necessarily resist it for the most part; and they are commonly treated as enemies by it. A wise man will only be useful as a man, and will not submit to be "clay," and "stop a hole to keep the wind away," but leave that office to his dust at least:"

He wrote back and thanked me for the 'great poem', and we conversed back and forth for a while until we ran out of things to say.

Nice bloke.

Comment

Well, what we've established here is, that I know alot less about the life of Henry than I thought. And that I am in fact a twerp.

Comment

Three hours' worth of Special Brew should sort that out...

Comment

I think 3 hours of special brew would make me more of a twerp to be honest.

Comment

Working...
            X