Popular commentators

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Popular commentators

The minute's silence before the France vs. England game on Wednesday night was, apparently, for a French TV commentator who was very popular in his homeland.

(I say 'apparently' because Sky Sports weren't considerate enough to give subtitles to explain what was going on for what I suspect was the majority of their audience watching in pubs, who thus couldn't hear their commentators explaining it. I only finished work about half an hour before the game started, went straight to the pub, and thought some newsworthy tragedy must have occured for a while, until I realised the England players weren't wearing black armbands)

So, although I suspect it's probably a slightly morbid question - are there ANY British commentators who will be that sorely missed? I'm trying, but I can't think of one...

Popular commentators

The radio ones are better. I like John Murray.

Comment

Popular commentators

We had one for Brian Moore, but then he was a Gills fan and former director. I don't know if anything happened at other grounds.

Comment

Popular commentators

I think that Motson would get one because he straddled the line that separated amiable, beloved familiarity and inane parody for so long before falling headlong into the latter. He's become a national institution, but in a dumb, hopeless, pitiful way.

If Peter Drury bought it, there wouldn't be a minute's silence nor applause. More along the lines of a large conga line, replete with cheerily-brandished bottles of champagne.

Comment

Popular commentators

There'll be more than a minute's applause when Trevor "Snore" Francis passes.

Comment

Popular commentators

The buggers won't be able to stop. Palm-readers will have to find a new line of work after the skin on the inside of everybody's hands has been worn away.

This goes for David 'Blathering Swine' Pleat, too.

Comment

Popular commentators

And that Lawrenson.

Comment

Popular commentators

On the other hand, that would call for a bank holiday.

Comment

Popular commentators

The French guy (Thierry Gilardi), who was their main commentator for both national team and Champions League games and had hosted their version of Match of the Day, died of a sudden heart attack at the age of 49 on Tuesday.

I would expect England to honour even widely hated commentators (yes, I'm looking at you Tyldesley) in similar circumstances.

Comment

Popular commentators

I mis-read 'honour' as 'hammer' there ursos. Ooops.

More of a summariser than commentator but I'd like to think that Stuart Hall's passing would be marked by something suitably over the top.

I minute's of blowing raspberries and flicking V's would do for Alan Green's memory.

Comment

Popular commentators

Brian Moore died on the day of the Germany vs England match in 2001, and I don't recall there being a minute's silence for him. There may or may not have been one for Kenneth Wolstenholme - I can't remember. The death of my personal favourite commentator, Hugh Johns, last summer passed almost completely unremarked upon in the press.

Of those still alive, Motson has probably got a few years left in him and Barry Davies divided opinion, so I can't imagine that there would be much national mourning over either of those two. Martin Tyler is a legend to anyone that has Sky Sports, but to the rest of us he has merely been curiously quiet since he left Granada TV at the end of the 1980s.

Comment

Popular commentators

There was a minute's silence for Moore -- which was disrupted at The Den, apparently.

Over here, when George Hamilton dies there will probably be some martial music for a few minutes on Lyric FM.

Comment

Popular commentators

Like Ursus said, Thierry Gilardi was only 49, and had 3 kids. He came from Canal+ to TF1 a few years ago, replacing the charming Thierry Rolland. He seemed to be a nice guy, although his commentating style was a mittle bit over-excited at times. I was quite shocked when I heard about his sudden death.
                          R.I.P.

Comment

Popular commentators

Having a minutes silence for a commentator seems wrong really. We should spend the minute doing impressions of them*, or if you're at Hereford the day Motson carks, you should run on the pitch wearing a parka.

*Except Gerald Sinstadt, of course.

Comment

Popular commentators

Actually, I'd support a minute's silence for My Mate Gerry Harrison too, now I come to think of it.

He's so tall.

Comment

Popular commentators

I for one will be gutted the day Barry Davies snuffs it - I've always been a big fan of his knowing, assuming-the-moral-and-cultural-high-ground style of commentating. And every time the cork pops on a bottle here at Ant Acres, I can never resist screaming "AAAOOOOHHH!!!! The taste of French wine! Abso-LOOT-ly mag-NIF-icent!" in B.D.'s honour. Mrs. Ant does not find this as amusing as I do, however.

Comment

Popular commentators

In the unlikely event of Barry Davies having an open casket funeral, mourners could lean in and yell "His face, just look at his face", their voices cracking on the second "his" in respectful imitation of Barry's commentary on Frannie Lee's goal for Derby v Man City (the one that starts "Interesting...interesting...oh, very interesting...".

Comment

Popular commentators

That's got to be post of the day. Excellent stuff.

Comment

Popular commentators

none of them....prefer to spend live TV games with the sound down and the music up...

Comment

Popular commentators

I suppose I should have put this on the 'people I hate myself for liking' thread, but I've got a lot of time for Lawrenson. I think he's piss funny. Not, perhaps, as piss funny as he thinks he is, but hey, who is?

When his ex-wife did a kiss and tell to the papers, the worst she could trudge up about him was that he folds his pants before he puts them in the washing machine. No wonder he always looks so smug on MoTD, not only is he wearing immaculate pants, but his wife never found out about his coke and hooker parties.

Comment

Popular commentators

No offence EIM, but Lawrenson belongs on the "people I should hang myself for liking" thread.

Comment

Popular commentators

Yes, I see this.

But still, there's something about his demeanour I really like. His whole 'I know this is shit, I don't care this is shit, I'm showing everyone I think this is shit, but I'm not Lee Dixon, so I win' schtick is really appealing to me.

Comment

Popular commentators

And also, when you spend that much time around Alan Green, you're going to eventually come out looking good. Relatively speaking, like.

Comment

Popular commentators

I won't mourn any football commentator all that much, I don't think. Whereas when Benaud goes, I'll wear widow's weeds for two years.

Comment

Popular commentators

That's an interesting tangent, Wyatt, and I think the relative pace of the two games has a lot to do with the different relationship people feel with at least some cricket commentators.

I feel the same way about baseball, particularly radio-centric baseball commentators, who really become a part of one's life over the course of a 162-game season that is full of opportunities for random musings. Several generations of Dodger fans will have heard more words from Vin Scully than any other human being.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X