Famous thesps in bit-parts before they were famous

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Forrest Whitaker and Nicholas Cage both had small roles in Fast Times At Ridgemont High, which was released in 1982.

Adam Sandler played one of Theo's friends in The Cosby Show.

Comment

"Cannoli: Corleone. Mmm? Mmm? That's how I remember 'em. It helps if you have a system."

Comment

You bastard, Earp. I was just trundling along, thinking of a Hill/Goodfellas joke when you popped up.

Good one, though.

Comment

I suppose Marilyn Monroe's cameo in All About Eve has been mentioned.

On the other side of the the scale, Luke Perry from Beverly Hills 12345 had a supporting role in a US day-time soap called Loving. He was the brother of a woman who tried to escape the evil clutches of a trailer-trash redneck called Eben Japes.

For all the artistic shortcomings of Loving, the soapie came up with one of the greatest lines in daytime television ever, involving the redneck's proposal that the child Luke Perry's sister would bear him be called "Eben Japes Junior". You had to be there, I suppose, but at one point I considered taking the handle Eben Japes Jr.

Oh, and I watched Loving at the time because in my circle of friends it was a bit of "ironic" cultural slumming it, or something.

Comment

Shit, I killed this thread.

Anyway, Brad Pitt apparently had a walk-on part in Less Than Zero, which was a zillion times worse than the utterly horrible book it was based on. Earned $36 for that gig, Pitt did.

I watched Footloose earlier, and there was Sarah Jessica Parker playing second fiddle to megastar Lori something.

Oh, and one real bit-part character looked like Matthew McConnaughey, who had a minor role in the wonderful Dazed And Confused. In which Ben Affleck had an even smaller role as a bully.

Comment

Most of the ones that I can think of have been mentioned already. SocScrim mentioned Nicolas Cage in Fast Times, but did not say that he's listed as Nicolas Coppola in the credits.

A few days back, I mentioned Mischa Barton of The O.C. as the girl in the tent in Sixth Sense.

George Clooney was a jerk boss in a few episodes of Roseanne.

People in Woody Allen movies have been mentioned a few times--seems like he's really good at this. Interestingly, mostly for guys from the Sopranos. If you look up a lot of the major characters from the Sopranos--most of the guys from Tony's crew--you'll notice that they've had bit parts as mobsters or tough guys in Woody Allen movies (Tony Sirico, Paulie Walnuts, has been in five of Woody's movies!).

Another Sopranos one--Michael Imperioli, Christopher, was Spider in Goodfellas...the guy that Joe Pesci shoots in the foot.

Comment

On the left, Julie Newmar as Catwoman disguised as an old lady. On the right, her driver - James Brolin.

Comment

Paulie walnuts was also in goodfella's in the late fifties section. Phil leotardo is the guy that gets kicked/stabbed to death, jennifer melfi is harry hill's wife, and larry barese is man whose restaurant Paulie busts out.

Comment

And I am the Life wrote:
                    jennifer melfi is harry hill's wife
                    Not really a secret there. Big Pussy is also a guy pushing a coatrack. And Karen Hill/Lorainne Bracco's mom in Goodfellas is also Carmella's mom on the Sopranos.

Comment

John Ratzenberger, aka Cliff Clavin, was in Empire Strikes Back.

I think I've mentioned this before, but Trini from the original 3-2-1 Contact and Ricardo from 3-2-1 Contact's Bloodhound Gang segments were both in The Warriors.

Comment

oops, I forgot those two. I was trying to remember who it was that was pushing the coatrack. Who is it that plays karen's dad.

Comment

Oh, that Cliff one is brilliant. I never knew that

Comment

Jeff Goldblum as a vile thug in Death Wish.

Apologies if its already been mentioned.

Comment

Though it came after "Empire", Ratzenberger also has a bizarre little cameo in Gandhi, believe it or not.

Comment

As I am cutting and pasting large parts of Wikipedia today, this Roger Corman entry is timely and relevant

A number of noted film directors have worked with Corman, including Francis Ford Coppola, Martin Scorsese, Ron Howard, Peter Bogdanovich, Jonathan Demme, Donald G. Jackson, Gale Anne Hurd, Carl Colpaert, Joe Dante, James Cameron, John Sayles, Monte Hellman, Paul Barter, George Armitage, Jonathan Kaplan, and Jack Hill. Many have said that Corman's influence taught them some of the ins and outs of filmmaking. In the extras for the DVD of The Terminator, director James Cameron refers to his work for Corman as, "I trained at the Roger Corman Film School." The British director Nicolas Roeg served as the cinematographer on The Masque of the Red Death.

Actors who obtained their career breaks working for Corman include Jack Nicholson, Peter Fonda, Bruce Dern, Michael McDonald, Dennis Hopper, Talia Shire, and Robert De Niro.

Comment

Ratzenberger was also in A Bridge Too Far.

Comment

Harrison Ford "interviews/interrogates" Martin Sheen at the start of Apocalypse Now.

Sylvester Stallone plays a gangster in one of Robert Mitchums two Raymond Chandler films from the mid 70s.....or was it the Elliott Gould one?

Comment

Every time I skim this thread, I think it's telling me that Pope Benedict was in A Bridge Too Far.

Comment

Johnny Depp was in Platoon.

Comment

Keira Knightley was in Star Wars Episode I.

Comment

Working...
                                          X