Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Famous thesps in bit-parts before they were famous

Bored Of The Dance wrote:
    If we are talking about Hollywood rather than thesps per se then Russell Crowe and Guy Pearce in Neighbours spring to mind. The guy that now plays the Boss in Ugly Betty was, of course, Jim Robinson on "Neighbours" but that's hardly a bit part.
    Guy Pearce's was hardly a bit part. His role as Mike Young, was a fairly central character for two years. Mike and Jane were the best mates, and er, Neighbours of Scott and Charlene.

Comment

Sigourney Weaver is in Annie Hall for a few seconds. Playing Woody's mate's girlfriend, I think.

Comment

You think? I already knew who Brad Pitt was when I saw that film. I thought "Oh look, there's Brad Pitt". I thought they cast him specifically because he was already Hollywood's Mr Sexy.

Did you possibly see the film several years after it was released?

Comment

You think? I already knew who Brad Pitt was when I saw that film. I thought "Oh look, there's Brad Pitt". I thought they cast him specifically because he was already Hollywood's Mr Sexy.
          Well, looking at his acting credits on IMDB, none of his pre-Thelma And Louise films seem particularly renowned. I've certainly never seen any of them.

Comment

Hofzinser wrote:

Did you possibly see the film several years after it was released?
            I didn't think I did... but looking at the chronology, yeah, that's probably what happened. D'oh.

Comment

Sigourney Weaver is in Annie Hall for a few seconds. Playing Woody's mate's girlfriend, I think.
              True. It's a shot from about 150 feet away. You can't even see her face. You'd never know she was in it if it weren't for the credits.

I believe Annie Hall may also be Jeff Goldblum's screen debut ("I forgot my mantra...")

Comment

Samuel L Jackson in Coming to America and then a bigger part in Goodfellas, being shot in the head by Joe Pesci.

Comment

So, to add a dramatic new twist to the thread, who have people seen recently in bit parts that they think might go on to be big stars?

Comment

Sorry, going back to the original premise, Rob Brydon in Lock Stock as well although possibly bigger than a bit part

I would love to see his stuff on the Home Shopping channel

Comment

A sprinkle of fairy dust, and I'll just wave my magic wand...

Comment

Brydon's just reached the pinnacle of his career by standing in for Humph in I'm Sorry I Haven't A Clue on Tuesday in Bournemouth.

Comment

"I believe Annie Hall may also be Jeff Goldblum's screen debut ("I forgot my mantra...")"

I think Goldblum's turn as psychotic thug in 'Death Wish' may have preceeded that.

Brad Pitt, I believe, first showed up as the boyfriend of the Steadmans' babysitter in 'thirtysomething'.

I think he left his shirt on, though.

Comment

You'll find Sharon Stone in Stardust Memories somewhere.

Kate Winslet in Casualty.

...and you'll find a budding thesp somewhere in here...

Comment

You're having a laugh with the Kemp thing, right? I mean, it's Clint, man.

Comment

The phrase is 'tongue in cheek', Wyatt.

Comment

What about this? Or does that more properly belong in the "Famous thesps parted bits before they were famous" thread?

Comment

I was watching Dr Who (new incarnation series one) and it's notable that both Eve Myles (Gwen) and Naoko Mori (Tosh) as a chamber maid and coroner respectively. Although the latter was also seen as Saffie's friend in Absolutely Fabulous.

Comment

Wyatt Earp wrote:
                                      You're having a laugh with the Kemp thing, right? I mean, it's Clint, man.
                                      No, I honestly couldn't work out why you'd posted a picture of Martin Kemp.

Comment

My wife always collpases in giggle whenever Colin Farrell is on screen or mentioned because she still associates him with 'Ballykissangel'.

I just get him confused with Colin Firth.

Comment

Antonio Gramsci wrote:

James Gandolfini in Get Shorty
                                          'True Romance' pre-dated that , didn't it?

Comment

According to imdb, yes. But I've never seen it.

Comment

King Mob wrote:
                                              And that is, of course, 'Andy the nurse' from Eastenders with him as their careers cross going in opposite directions.

Comment

Jake Gyllenhall as Billy Crystal's son in "City Slickers". Halle Berry as a crackhead in "Jungle Fever".

Comment

A friend and I were just talking about how Mary Stuart Masterson was one of Katharine Ross's kids in the original (and better) The Stepford Wives. She seems to have faded from view lately, unfortunately.

Comment

Dennis Hopper in Rebel Without a Cause

Jack Nicholson in (the original) Little Shop of Horrors

Comment

Working...
                                                    X