X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The twelve shit Smiths songs

Pants wrote:
    Ant VO, who are you?
    What do you mean, who am I? Who are you?

Comment

Oh fuck, it's Gilchrist and MacGill all over again!!!

Comment

What do you mean, who am I? Who are you?
        I'm the original Ant! Tony van Oviedo has a nice ring to it, don't you think? (Only joking. Nice to 'meet' you.)

Comment

Funny that - over here I get called "Tony" all the time and I hate it.

Anyway, it's a pleasure to make your acquaintance.

I remember buying "The Queen is Dead" on the day Brazil played Poland in the 1986 World Cup and being a bit disappointed after playing it for the first time. I wasn't expecting anything remotely like that first side. Two songs of over five minutes! Even now I much prefer "Meat is Murder"- it's the one I'd lend to someone who wanted to know what the Smiths were like.

Comment

Where are you, Ant? Australia? I know the feeling about the name - a 'Tony' is totally different to an 'Ant' in a way that an 'Al' isn't different to an Alan, for example.

My first experience of 'The Queen Is Dead' was seeing the Derek Jarman short film and bein blown away. I remember thinking Mike Joyce's drum were absolutely amazing. I love 'Meat Is Murder' too (even the much-reviled title track), but if someone asked me to give them a Smiths primer it'd probably be 'Hatful of Hollow'.

Comment

No, I'm in Spain. I may as well be in Australia, for all the British culture that completely passes me by. This might be a good thing, however.

Yes, "Hatful of Hollow" is practically flawless, including as it does "This Night..." - one of the greatest Smiths songs IMHO, and the best version of "This Charming Man".

But the first side of MIM, esp. the stretch from "Rusholme Ruffians" to "That Joke..." has never been matched. By anybody.

Comment

Ant van Oviedo wrote:
                Yes, "Hatful of Hollow" is practically flawless, including as it does... ...the best version of "This Charming Man".
                Another insane statement on a thread that's thrown up plenty of others.

Comment

I agree with that one, actually.

Comment

This reply is nearly 9 years too late but better late than never.

"This Charming Man" on 'Hatful' has a better vocal, more wistful.

I have to disagree with SR about 'Half A Person'; I think it evokes the 16 year old's crippling lack of self-esteem, which is a central part of the Smiths' constituency, in a beautiful way. It's in my Top 10 Smiths songs.

Why did the group have such crap closing tracks - Meat Is Murder and Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others are both shitty ways to end great albums.

I think the first side of Meat Is Murder is their peak, and as good a side as you'll find on any album ever made, especially if you could switch Well I Wonder on to it. The second side, though, dies on its arse after the half-way point.

Comment

Working...
                    X