Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New to me in the past week (part 1)

All female voices and all, in different ways, quite remarkable:

Marissa Nadler — Diamond Heart also Dying Breed, Annabelle Lee and more I've yet to hear. Slightly chilling folksy reverb, echoes of vintage Fairport Convention which is maybe why it appeals. But does it get sort of samey after awhile? Dunno, but I'm going to keep listening till it does.

The Ditty Bops — Your Head's too Small also Wishful Thinking, (is that their greatest hit?) Superficially retro but much cleverer than that. I love the Be Good Tanyas so was destined to like them really.

Angus and Julia Stone — Here We Go Again. A very unusual voice, which vacillates — intentionally — between ugly and pretty. Don't be put off by their reported association with Travis. On the its own terms their music is interesting at the very least.

Carrie Rodriguez — Seven Angels on a Bicycle and He Ain't Jesus. Mentored by Lucinda Williams but a very different kind of instrumentalist and lyrics from somewhere else entirely. An artist to keep tabs on for sure.

New to me in the past week (part 1)

Nobody else heard anything for the first time recently that grabbed them by the thrusters then?

Comment

Working...
    X