Weapons in football crests

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any other clubs badge feature a landmine?

Comment

Phoebe wrote:
      Any other clubs badge feature a landmine?

Ipswich Town's badge does fall under the criteria of this thread as it includes a punch, albeit a Suffolk one.

Comment

That "bee-arrow" thing is appalling. Appalling. At the moment of realising what was going on I almost felt sick with proxy embarrassment. Why did no-one point out what a terrible idea it was at the concept stage?

Comment

Andy C wrote:
          It isn't a wasp. It's a pun.

(Or, rather, a sort of rebus.)
          Which is of course, why Cockermouth has never had a league football team...

(Have we done Charlton?

Comment

In that case you're just going to love this:

Those fish are conger eels; that's Leo the lion standing on a large barrel, or tun. That's right, these are the arms of CONGER-LEO-TUN.

Congleton.

Comment

Due to cub scouts, I can explain way more of the detail on that badge than I would care to be able.

Comment

Ad Hoc said:

Sheffield Utd. Arsenal. Hmm, wonder what else these two teams have in common aside from the weaponry motif?
                Both have red and white in their shirts?

Ganga said:

Why are they called that?
                Is it a new addition to the crest?
                If adding blades, why Arabian?

Sheffield United have had the current badge (with some very minor alterations) since the mid 70's when Jimmy Sirrel was manager. Prior to that for about a decade we wore the Sheffield City crest. For a long time it was stated that Jimmy Sirrel had designed the badge but I read something somewhere at the time of Jimmy's death last year that the badge had actually been designed by Jimmy Hagan about 20 years prior to its adoption.

I'm not sure about why the particular style of blade was used, I suspect because the curve fitted better with the circular design than a straight blade would have done, but I'm only guessing. The rest of the badge has a simple elegance - club colours, white rose of Yorkshire, date of formation, team name. I'm happy with it anyway.

Comment

Furtho wrote:
                  Sanfrecce means "three arrows", a symbol associated with a particular family of historical importance in Hiroshima.
                  San is three in Chinese too.

Comment

Little known fact - the same bloke who designed those Barrow and Congleton crests was also responsible for the original, rejected badge for Rushden and Diamonds:

Comment

Taylor, I applaud the thought that's gone into that. Though I'm worried for you.

Let's not leave Bristol Rovers out:

Comment

I may be jumping to assumptions, but I reckon that Lekhwiya SC of the Qatar Stars League is the only club which has what appears to be a tooled up T.E. Lawrence vainly urging a reluctant camel into the Battle of Aqaba against the Ottoman Empire as a crest.

Comment

And he appears to be wearing a fencing (or possibly welder's) mask.

Comment

Working...
                          X