Cricket for Kids

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cricket for Kids

My sister wants to start sending her eldest son (almost 5) to some organised coaching sessions and she's keen on cricket as a possible alternative, or in addition, to football. The rationale behind this I think is one of perception, that cricket, being something of a more Gentlemanly and patient game, is by its nature going to teach skills that other, more dynamic sports can't. Much as I enjoy watching cricket I've never really played it so, unlike football, I'm uncertain about this conception. Is it really about the sport itself, or is it more to do with the surroundings, the other kids and the coaches, the etiquettes surrounding the game and so forth? If it is about the latter aspects then what am I looking out for in a club and its methods that would be beneficial?
    What sort of coaching structure and methods are considered good for that age group in cricket? There are some universal coaching principles, so I sort of know what I'm not looking for, but are there specific hallmarks of decent coaching practices within the sport?

Cricket for Kids

What really works for kids that age is EBAB (Everybody Bats And Bowls) cricket. In this form there are six or eight players in a team and everyone bats and bowls 12 balls regardless of if they are out or not. Then the total team runs are added up and five runs are deducted for every wicket.

Because cricket is a game of technique it's easier for beginners to lose out, this system ensures that they get a chance to do a bit of everything, even if they are bowled first ball.

Other than that look for a club with a proper youth structure, and which takes youth cricket seriously. If they have a youth development officer, that's always a clue.

Comment

Cricket for Kids

TPC, do VRA or any of the other Amsterdam clubs run summer camps for 9 year olds? Ursus minor has expressed a bit of interest in something of that ilk, and I think that he would likely find Amsterdam a more congenial location that somewhere in England (so would his mother, if things aren't set up on an overnight basis).

Comment

Cricket for Kids

scoring, in cricket, was traditionally one of the jobs handed to the junior players (under supervision). It was excellent grounding for a career in a bank, as cricket scoring is pretty much identical to (and only slightly less anal than) double-entry book-keeping. When I was taught "T-account" book-keeping, a long long time ago, it was explained to me in exactly those terms once my teacher realised I'd been a scorer at cricket - for every "credit" no the batsman's account, a "debit" on the bowler's, and so on.

Comment

Cricket for Kids

The VRA camp is actually next week, Ursus.

But for next year, It's actually a very good camp run by former county cricketer and the KNCB's Director of Youth Development - Roland LeFebvre. It's coached by first class players Ryan Maron (who runs a cricket school of excellence in Cape Town, which might also be an option), Eric Swarczinski and Peter Borren.

Comment

Cricket for Kids

Hmmmmm.

He's a very persuasive child, but I don't think he'd be able to talk himself out of a full week of school on such short notice. We'll keep an eye out for next year, though, and still hope to make it up there before then.

Comment

Cricket for Kids

I'm going on a scoring course next Thursday, Rogin.

It's run by a bloke called Rod Lyall who runs the cricketeurope website, and is a big wheel in the international cricket scorers society. He gave one of the key-note speeches in their annual world congress a couple of years ago. God knows what they find to talk about for four days.

Given my long-standing A.D.D. diagnosis, it promises to be an unmitigated disaster for me.

Comment

Cricket for Kids

Beware the power of cricket's emerging markets.

http://www.turnto23.com/education/15802717/detail.html

Comment

Working...
                X