Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2009 Eurovision News

Already the excitement has begun!

Georgia have withdrawn their entry because the song they chose has "political lyrics" and that's apparently not allowed under Eurovision rules. The songis subtly called "We Don't Wanna Put In". (and in case you didn't get it the chorus also includes the line "I wish I could shoot him"). As the final will be in Moscow this year, they seem very brave to even have wanted to go, but sadly they've withdrawn and there'll be no Georgia entry.

Meanwhile there is fuss in Russia itself, as they have chosen a Ukrainian woman to sing their song, and some of the lyrics are in Ukrainian, which has upset those who believe that Eurovision is all about plantting your nationalistic jackboot over the face of the pan-European project.

(Romania, realising that to win this thing you have to appeal to your neighbours, have selected a song called "Balkan Girls". This is somewhat ironic since Romania spends much of its time attempting to pretend that it doesn't have any Balkan-ness to speak of, and is in fact all Latin all the time. But the Balkan block vote is highly coveted come Eurovision so they've sacrificed their sense or unbalkanness for the greater good)

Does Eurovision belong in Music or TV?

2009 Eurovision News

I first read that as "We Don't Wanna Put It In", and mistook it for some sort of 80s-style Jermaine Stewart/Janet Jackson anti-sex message.

I can't wait to hear "Balkan Girls"...

Comment

2009 Eurovision News

Here you go.

Comment

2009 Eurovision News

Ah, I wasn't expecting a female singer. I thought it was gonna be along the lines of "California Girls", whereas it's more of a "Dancing Queen". (Although of course, she could be coming at it from a lesbian point of view.) Maybe I'm reading too much into this.

Comment

2009 Eurovision News

That Georgian masterpiece also includes possibly my new favourite line in pop..

'The military mood is killing the groove'

I can just imagine a video consisting of serious looking, heavy coated, large capped Soviet type generals abruptly curtailing their marching to start a boogie, 60's style.

Well, to me anyway. Genius.

Comment

2009 Eurovision News

The Georgian entry is on YouTube too.

Fantastic.

Comment

2009 Eurovision News

Greenlander wrote:
              That Georgian masterpiece also includes possibly my new favourite line in pop..

'The military mood is killing the groove'

I can just imagine a video consisting of serious looking, heavy coated, large capped Soviet type generals abruptly curtailing their marching to start a boogie, 60's style.

Well, to me anyway. Genius.
              Er, it's "negative mood" isn't it?

Comment

2009 Eurovision News

Harri Saer wrote:

Er, it's "negative mood" isn't it?
                Erm, on further listening I think you might be right.

Boo!

Comment

2009 Eurovision News

One more time for the Motherlaaaaand!

Comment

2009 Eurovision News

Did that win their warm-up?

Russia are SOOooo going to win this.

Comment

2009 Eurovision News

I have an earworm of 'shut up and sleep with me' which is very unlikely to go away other than lobotomisation.

Comment

2009 Eurovision News

gerontophile wrote:
                        Did that win their warm-up?

Russia are SOOooo going to win this.
                        That was my first response too, but unfortunately it was just a performance at the Swedish warm-up, and indeed it rather pissed off the Russian embassy. A shame really.

Comment

Working...
                        X