• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kick Batesism out of Football

MP calls for inquiry into Leeds United

Lib Dem's Phil Willis wants government investigation

Court case shedding light on Bates' controversial deal

David Conn The Guardian, Wednesday 4 March 2009

The Liberal Democrat MP Phil Willis has called on the government and the football authorities to launch an investigation into the ownership of Leeds United and the conduct of the club's 2007 administration by KPMG, following declarations made by the club in Jersey court proceedings. Leeds are suing a Jersey-based company, Admatch, for £190,400 the club say they are owed, while Admatch's owner, Robert Weston, is arguing that he was left with £1.43m unpaid when one of the Leeds United went bust in 2006.

The court ordered Leeds to disclose who owns Forward Sports Fund, the ­company registered in the Cayman Islands which ultimately owns Leeds, and other offshore companies involved when the club went into administration. These relationships were controversial at the time of administration, because one offshore company, Astor Investment Holdings, agreed to waive repayment of debts totalling £17.6m if Ken Bates' and Forward's bid to buy back the club was accepted. Other, larger bids had to include Astor and Krato as major creditors, so the overall return to creditors was lower and Bates won. KPMG told the Guardian this week that the firm relied at the time on statutory declarations (sworn statements) from Bates, his solicitor Mark Taylor who is also a Leeds director, and Shaun Harvey, Leeds' chief executive, that "there was no connection between Astor and Krato with Forward Sports Fund".

It was then pointed out that Leeds's 2006 accounts had stated that Astor "has an interest" in Forward, but Bates' solicitor Mark Taylor said the connection had been severed before the club went into administration.

At a Jersey court hearing on 29 January, a letter from Leeds' solicitors, replying to Weston's questions, was read out, stating of Forward's formation: "One share was initially held by Astor Investment Holdings Limited, a unit trust fund based in Guernsey. Astor Investments then instructed professional agents to incorporate Forward Sports Fund, and Astor Investments then proceeded to loan money to Forward Sports Fund to undertake its investment in Leeds."

Willis said he was shocked by that: "We were told there had been an interest but I am dismayed to find that Astor actually owned the club originally. I believe KPMG should have made further investigations at the time to find out who the owners were. The FA and Football League should investigate, as should the Treasury because so much tax was left unpaid." Taylor rejected that, saying: "There is nothing to investigate." At the time he said Astor had favoured the Bates bid, writing off millions of pounds, because Bates and Harvey had football experience. KPMG, which made £693,200 in fees as Leeds' as administrators, declined to comment.

A complex web of Bates and Leeds is uncovered in Jersey

Links between Leeds United and an offshore holding company that were denied when the club was in administration are now coming to light

There is a certain symmetry to the fact that light has been shone on the mystifying offshore ownership of Ken Bates' Leeds United in a court case brought by the club in a tax haven, Jersey. At a hearing on 29 January, Leeds declared that Bates and a long-term business associate, Patrick Murrin, jointly own "management shares" in Forward Sports Fund, the company registered in the Cayman Islands, administered in Switzerland, which ultimately owns Leeds United.

Murrin and Mark Taylor, Bates' solicitor, both explained that that means they own the company. Murrin, a now-retired financial consultant based in Guernsey, was a director and representative of a large offshore shareholding at Chelsea while Bates was in control at Stamford Bridge.

The January hearing also produced the declaration that Forward Sports Fund was itself originally owned and formed by Astor Investments, a trust fund based in Guernsey with an address in Tortola, the British Virgin Islands. In May 2007, after Bates and his fellow directors had put insolvent Leeds into administration with debts of £38m, Astor agreed to write off a huge sum it was owed by the club, £17.6m, as long as Forward Sports Fund bought the club back and Bates remained in charge.

That gave Bates an enormous advantage over other bidders, who had to include Astor's £17.6m in any offer they made. In July 2007 the administrators, KPMG, did sell the club back to Forward, for £1.8m. With Astor waiving its £17.6m, Leeds' other creditors, including HM Revenue and Customs which was owed £7.7m unpaid tax and VAT, were paid off at 10p in the pound. Bates stayed on as chairman of the club which, with its debts cleared, announced a profit last year of £4.5m and on Saturday moved into the League One play-off places with a 3-2 win over Scunthorpe United, watched by 24,000 fans at Elland Road.

At the time the club entered administration, questions were asked about whether Astor was in fact connected to Forward. KPMG said then it had made "extensive inquiries", and been satisfied that Astor did not own any interest in the club or Forward Sports Fund. More recently KPMG told the Guardian thatit had relied on sworn statements from Bates and the other Leeds directors.

At the time, the former chairman Gerald Krasner pointed out in a creditors' meeting that the club's 2006 accounts had stated the opposite, that Astor "has an interest in Forward Sports Fund". Taylor, who is a Leeds director as well as Bates' solicitor, clarified then that there had previously been an ownership connection between Astor and Forward, but they had been disconnected before the club went into administration.

Further detail about the network of offshore companies controlling Leeds emerged in the 29 January hearing. In the Jersey Royal Court, a letter from Leeds' solicitors was read out, which said of Forward: "One share was initially held by Astor Investment Holdings Limited, a unit trust fund based in Guernsey. Astor Investments then instructed professional agents to incorporate Forward Sports Fund, and Astor Investments then proceeded to loan money to Forward Sports Fund to undertake its investment in Leeds."

That revelation has provoked the Liberal Democrat MP Phil Willis to call for a government investigation into KPMG's conduct of the administration, and into the ownership of Leeds. "We were told there had been a connection but I am dismayed to find that Astor actually owned the club originally," Willis said.

"I believe KPMG should have made further investigations at the time to find out who the owners were. As so much tax was left unpaid, the Treasury should investigate. Football supporters also have the right to know who owns their clubs, and the Premier and Football Leagues should make sure that all their clubs have to fully disclose who is behind them."

Taylor told the Guardian this week that "the vast majority" of this had already been made public during the administration although he did not indicate where it had been disclosed. He said that Astor had indeed originally owned Forward, but between June 2006 and May 2007, when the club went into administration, the connection was severed because Astor sold Forward to Bates and Murrin. Taylor said he still does not know who Astor's owners are, but he knew one of the directors in Guernsey; at the time he said they supported Bates in the administration, even at great cost, because Bates and the Leeds chief executive, Shaun Harvey, have football experience.

In Jersey Leeds are suing for £190,400 that they claim a company, Admatch, based on the island, owes the club. Admatch's owner, the Jersey resident Robert Weston, argues he does not have to pay it because he is owed £1.43m by another Leeds United company, which went bust in 2006. Weston has succeeded in obtaining orders for £263,500 "security for costs" – money Leeds have paid into the Jersey court to cover Weston's costs if he wins.

Taylor said Leeds' own costs were "not as much as that" but still, in a promotion-chasing season, Leeds have already committed potentially more in costs than the £190,400 they will win if they are successful. Taylor maintained they were fighting the case "on a point of principle" because they were owed money; he was confident the club would win and have their costs paid by Weston. Weston declined to comment except to say: "We are in the middle of the case and we are quietly confident of ultimate success."

In the course of the case, Weston secured orders from the court that Leeds should disclose the ultimate owners of several of the offshore companies. Leeds' solicitors replied in writing on 5 December, but Weston complained the detail was inadequate, and at the 29 January hearing the judge, deputy bailiff Michael Birt, ordered Leeds to provide further detail.

"The court made an order and your client has not complied with it," Birt said to Leeds' solicitors. "You are not compliant with who the beneficial owner is. We will go through the chain of companies and see who is the beneficial owner," he ordered. "If it gets to the stage where some percentage of the company up the chain is owned by another company where you do not know who the owners are, then someone must go on oath and say so."

Leeds were given 21 days from 29 January to comply with this court order. That expired on 19 February, but Weston says he has still not received any further detail from Leeds. Taylor said Leeds complied with the order, by the due date. He said the facts are already clear: Leeds is owned by the Forward Sports Fund, incorporated in the Cayman Islands and administered from Geneva in Switzerland. It has two "management shares", he said, owned one each by Bates and Murrin. After Astor Investments sold Forward to Bates and Murrin, Astor had no remaining connection with Leeds or Forward.

So, at the time of Leeds' administration, Astor waved goodbye to millions to see the club still owned and run by Bates, even though they had no connection to him. Taylor added that Bates, 77, himself now resident on Avenue Princess Grace in the tax haven of Monaco, has no current intention of selling Leeds and ceding control at Elland Road. "I think he's quite enjoying it at the moment," said Taylor

I for one am astonished that a major accountancy and audit firm turned out to not have in fact undertaken as thorough a job as possible.

Comment

Taylor said Leeds' own costs were "not as much as that" but still, in a promotion-chasing season, Leeds have already committed potentially more in costs than the £190,400 they will win if they are successful. Taylor maintained they were fighting the case "on a point of principle" because they were owed money;
      This may end up being the most ironically beautiful thing of all.

Comment

Indeed, Phoebe. My mouth is still, some hours after reading the story, agape in gobsmackedness. From what we see here it looks as if Mr Bates and his colleagues have resolved to chase down this man with their finest set of sharpened boomerangs.

The situation to this point appears to have echoes of what happened at Wrexham. I mentioned in my WSC article a couple of years ago that it had looked like light might be shed on such matters in court a while ago until the HMRC decided not to proceed.

Given their reticence on revealing ownership details I would have thought that Mr Bates and other Leeds directors might have been minded to let alone any non-mandatory matters that might bring that territory back under official scrutiny. Can one surmise that their enthusiasm for a tussle indicates that they are confident they having nothing to hide? As I say, proceedings so far seem to suggest that they might not be on as safe ground as they may have believed and the Jersey courts appear admirably tenacious.

I await further developments with great interest.

Comment

statto99 wrote:
          Indeed, Phoebe. My mouth is still, some hours after reading the story, agape in gobsmackedness. From what we see here it looks as if Mr Bates and his colleagues have resolved to chase down this man with their finest set of sharpened boomerangs.

The situation to this point appears to have echoes of what happened at Wrexham. I mentioned in my WSC article a couple of years ago that it had looked like light might be shed on such matters in court a while ago until the HMRC decided not to proceed.
          Quite. In the accompanying article, I raised the point that the major difference at Wrexham was that their fans had lobbied the administrators to look further into it, because they smelt a rat.

Given their reticence on revealing ownership details I would have thought that Mr Bates and other Leeds directors might have been minded to let alone any non-mandatory matters that might bring that territory back under official scrutiny. Can one surmise that their enthusiasm for a tussle indicates that they are confident they having nothing to hide? As I say, proceedings so far seem to suggest that they might not be on as safe ground as they may have believed and the Jersey courts appear admirably tenacious.
          I don't think they bargained on the Jersey court deeming the money from the administration relevant, as it wouldn't have any jurisdiction over an UK administration case.

That or Bates figured he has nothing to lose. He's 77, living in an offshore haven. It would take a long time to prove whether he was personally culpable in any wrongdoing. Taylor on the other hand, being a solicitor, has pretty much everything to lose, if the case is followed up and proved to be as dodgy as many suspect.

If something is suspect, then the biggest losers would of course be the club. The Taxman does not give up a fight if it belives there is one to be had, and if it believes it can recover £7.7m then it will. Only it won't chase the individuals, who may be at fault for the money, it will chase the company that owes the money in the first place, in this case Leeds United, as opposed to Leeds United's owners.

I await further developments with great interest.
          Me too. I also wonder, that considering Leeds is owned by a company based in the Cayman Islands, administred in Switzerland (by two men who live in Monaco and Guernsey), how much tax are they paying?

Comment

John Lanchester's piece in the LRB on the Murdoch empire's tax avoidance efforts springs to mind:

... the company’s profits, declared in Australian dollars, were A$364,364,000 in 1987, A$464,464,000 in 1988, A$496,496,000 in 1989 and A$282,282,000 in 1990. The odds that such figures were a happy coincidence are 1,000,000,000,000 to one. That little grace note in the sums is accountant-speak for ‘Fuck you.
            I'm wrestling with something iconic like £19.19 or £20.07; then, wasting £20 quid on tax could well be a sacking offence.

Comment

Isn't this all, in the main, rehashed facts that were already out there? in the public domain?

Comment

Of course it is, now from my memory of previous similar threads aren't your next contributions;

A) to imply that this is some vast anti-Leeds conspiracy

B) to question why nobody ever takes anything Bates has to say at face value.

Comment

You've missed:

c) and anyway, what on earth could we Leeds fans have done? No-one ever does anything which ever makes any difference, so it was nothing to with us rolling over at all.

Comment

a) not this
                    b) the club had already been piloted to the brink of destruction a few times before he arrived, so he didn't have a lot to beat. Quite a few Leeds fans have pursued all sorts of lines of enquiry about Bates, as it happens, but couldn't find a gun that was smoking.
                    c) as I've said before, most if not all of the well-known fan protest movements, including Wrexham, only really got going when the team was threatened with imminent removal from its home ground, particularly if that involved moving to a new town. That's not happened to us yet.

Comment

nnnnnnaaaaawwww, thanks Harri and NHH, am quite touched. All I have ever really tried to do is remind the good people of OTF that there is no rule on this forum that states that "there are two sides to every story except when it comes to Leeds United and / or Ken Bates"...

Now, if someone can actually prove that Bates is paying himself rent on Elland Road and Thorpe Arch (in the case of the later that he could be about to pay himself a few million quid to buy it back) then we would have a real story...

You know, in many respects it would be better for everyone if there was a full investigation, however if he came out of that still smelling of roses, he would still be a cunt - right...

Comment

Well, he's proved he's a cunt with many many other actions over decades so, yes.

You really think he isn't? You give him some benefit of doubt?

I'm amazed at the number of football fans whose attitude when proven scumbags get involved with their club is to bend over, grab their ankles and shout lustily;

"Thank your, Sir! May I have another?!"

Comment

Ha - yeah, coming from a Cardiff fan, thats mighty rich -

"Thank you Peter and Sam" perhaps that should be?

Football is riddled with cunts on some level or another, that includes players, management, directors, chairmen of each club and then moving up the chain to the people in control. We tend to isolate personalities in the game, same as in real life, today's big villain for example is the RBS bloke with a 700K pension, the fact is the picture is wider and deeper...

Do I think Bates is a cunt, of course I do. I don't defend "him" I defend my right to not be so one eyed in my hatred towards him to think there is not two sides to every sound bite that is thrown his way, and at the same time Leeds's way. Do I think he is dodgy, it certainly looks that way, has he done anything illegal - nothing is yet proved. The powers that be have him still in the game and the taxman wouldn't chase him through the courts. One day he will be gone from Leeds. Leeds will still be cunts regardless in many eyes, so does with him or without really make that much difference. So, lets get the official investigation under way and put it to bed one way or another once and for all...

Comment

I am a Leeds fan and I hate Ken Bates. I have no problem with his chairmanship, however, as hating the chairman feels reassuringly natural after the forced love-in of the Ridsdale era.

With Ridsdale, it was just a constant suspicion that things weren't quite right. With Bates, I know that everything is wrong, and that means I can sleep at night without worrying about it.

Comment

battylad wrote:
                              Ha - yeah, coming from a Cardiff fan, thats mighty rich -

"Thank you Peter and Sam" perhaps that should be?
                              You really show your fucking ignorance with that comment. My exact point is that I've seen it close at hand.

I don't know how many times I have had to tell you that I personally and publically challenged Hammam and was threatened with a total life ban from the club and veiled comments about my safety from him when I did so. Despite this I still initiated campaigns against him and attempted to motivate our more docile support towards organised independent action.I've continued an attitude of huge scepticism and watchfulness with Ridsdale. Any of the Cardiff supporters (and a few others such as E10) on this board can and have confirmed all of this.

Don't fucking dare to assume my attitude to the scumbags involved with my club is as craven as your own.

Comment

Harri - If that is your exact point, then please make it clear. Your above comment was not. Many things are posted on this board, many things I read, many things I don't as I am sure is the same with many on here. I know your history with Publicity Pete as we have spoken about it before. Its never appeared anything more than that of many Leeds fans with Bates. Your history with Sam is clearly something completly different that I have either not read or not remebered. I respond to messages on a message board at the time I read, sometimes in the heat of the moment. I do not have the time to check out other posters prior history before I do so. You made snide comments about a genuine post I made, I simply respond. Nothing more. Cheers...

Comment

So, they announced a profit of £4.5m, did they? Makes their CVA amount seem pretty paltry to me.

Comment

Worse than that - I have not seen as yet, but it appears the current accounts show that his profit has now gone...

Comment

On the team? On the club? Thank you payment to Astor?

Of course, my first thought was that at least if an investigation went through (it's unlikely that anything could happen before the Jersey court case is concluded), and the creditors did win, at least the payments to the taxman and the like would come from any profit made. Now, if Leeds did have to pay up, with the profit gone - where would the money come from now?

Of course, then it will be the Taxman's fault, just like Mawhinney was the bad guy last season. But, the best chance of avoiding the shit hitting the fan, would have been to do what Wrexham did, and lobby the administrators. They did that not because their ground was threatened, but because Guterman had the sole intention of closing the club down, so that he could subsequently develop the land. Their club's very existance was threatened.

battylad wrote:
                                      Football is riddled with cunts on some level or another, that includes players, management, directors, chairmen of each club and then moving up the chain to the people in control. We tend to isolate personalities in the game, same as in real life, today's big villain for example is the RBS bloke with a 700K pension, the fact is the picture is wider and deeper...
                                      Ken Bates was personally resposible for bringing the British Virign Islands to the point of a coup d'etate. He almost brought the Irish government down in the 1970s. He's left a trail of 'failed' businesses and short-changed creditors behind him for decades. He wasnted to electrify the sort of fences that you found at the front of his own club's terraces. Ken Bates is a very special kind of cunt.

Do I think Bates is a cunt, of course I do. I don't defend "him" I defend my right to not be so one eyed in my hatred towards him to think there is not two sides to every sound bite that is thrown his way, and at the same time Leeds's way. Do I think he is dodgy, it certainly looks that way, has he done anything illegal - nothing is yet proved. The powers that be have him still in the game and the taxman wouldn't chase him through the courts. One day he will be gone from Leeds. Leeds will still be cunts regardless in many eyes, so does with him or without really make that much difference. So, lets get the official investigation under way and put it to bed one way or another once and for all...
                                      Will he leave a Leeds United behind when he goes, though?

Comment

I guess one of the key things these latest solidifications of allegations proves is just how lightly Leeds were treated by the league in 2007. Probably best thing to do is keep their heads down I'd have thought. After all, you're not considered by the powers that be to be as wrong or malign as Luton, or Bournemouth or Rotherham. After all, you're Leeds, And You're Proud Of It.

Harri's got a point too, if only - and I hope he doesn't mind me saying this - in flagging up just how supine and stupid so many Cardiff fans were during the Hammam years, of which he and far too few others were shining exceptions.

Leeds will never be free of this scorn - and never deserve to be free of it - until they're rid of Bates. Apols to their decent fans on OTF but that's just how it's gonna be.

Comment

Phoebe wrote:
                                          He almost brought the Irish government down in the 1970s.
                                          Bates is a lump of shit, and his antics here in the mid-1970s left a good few people out of pocket, but there's no way his business dealings came close to toppling the Fine Gael/Labour administration. He wasn't remotely big enough a player for something like that to happen.

The FG/Lab government fell in 1977 (a year after Bates' Irish Trust Bank went bust). It lost the election heavily to Fianna Fail, who offered the voters a load of economic sweeteners such as scrapping car tax and property rates payments, and duly cleaned up at the ballot box.

Bates was basically using the capital generated by the bank to fund his own overseas property deals. On the afternoon of the court-ordered liquidation in February 1976, he and a couple of musclemen raided the Irish Trust offices and took away loads of presumably incriminating documents in a black sack. The judge ordered a warrant for Bates' arrest that very day, hauled him into the High Court, and made him hand back the files.

But the impact of all this on the political state of the nation was mild enough. There was a load of bad shit going on in Irish public life at the time, and Bates's escapades were merely one small part of it all.

Bates did, however, have a small but tangential impact on that 1977 general election, in that one of Fianna Fail's (extremely numerous, it must be said) campaign promises was to repay the depositors who had lost money with his bank. It was the brainchild of George Colley, FF's finance spokesman and Charles Haughey's long-time nemesis.

Of course, the taxpayer picked up the tab for the entire thing. Nothing ever really changes in this pixie republic.

Comment

Leeds will never be free of this scorn - and never deserve to be free of it - until they're rid of Bates. Apols to their decent fans on OTF but that's just how it's gonna be.
                                            I guess we're only really receiving the same scorn that Chelsea fans regularly get on here for failing to get rid of Bates for 20 years.

Still, since lifetime Shed Ender Roman Abramovich finally rose up with the Stamford Bridge faithful and deposed Ken in a Supporters Trust buyout, that's all forgiven now.

Comment

Are you being sarky? Since when have Chelsea fans been given an easy time on OTF?

Comment

Not sure anybody's fans get what you would call an easy ride. Just can't remember anything on here to the tune of:

"Chelsea will never be free of this scorn - and never deserve to be free of it - since they didn't get rid of Bates. Apols to their decent fans on OTF but that's just how it's gonna be."

Feel free to put me right.

Comment

I'm happy to accept it as one of the many reasons why Chelsea fans are routinely treated with scorn on here.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X