X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They Just Don't Understand etc etc

BOSTON
    3 arrested in violence after Bruins game
    Two separate violent altercations broke out after the Bruins playoff game Tuesday night outside TD Banknorth Garden, leaving one person injured, police said. Three people were arrested. Patrick O'Brien and Jared Callen, both 21 and of Winchester, were arrested about 10:20 after allegedly attacking and kicking a Montreal Canadiens fan celebrating his team's victory, causing severe lacerations to his head, police said. The victim was taken to Massachusetts General Hospital. Matthew Benoit, 23, of Stoneham was arrested about 9:30 after allegedly assaulting an officer who was attempting to break up another fight between Bruins and Canadiens fans, police said. O'Brien and Callen were both charged with assault and battery by means of a dangerous weapon, and Benoit was charged with assault and battery and disturbing a public assembly.

----------------

There have been 100's (possibly close to 800 so said a cop last night) of Canadiens fans in town since Sunday afternoon to see the two playoff games. There have been a number of problems in bars in and around the Garden - and it's my guess it's the Bruins fans who are instigating it all. My train home leaves from North Station which also happens to be the Boston Garden. There was some 'not so nice' chanting going on there on Tues night. Some local commuters on my train were remarking that they thought this "short of shit" only happened in england with soccer hooligans.

Sounds to me like American police and/or politicians have just learnt from us to latch onto the "cause" of drunken fights between fuelled gangs of supporters as being the sporting events fans were there to attend, and blame the sport not the underlying yobbishness of the people concerned, who would probably have ended up in "Any Which Way But Loose" style bar-fights over something else, anway, if they were that way inclined.

Next thing you know, they'll have huge plexiglass screens erected around ice hockey stadia, to stop the fans getting onto the ice.

Comment

Sounds like my kind of game that...

Comment

Not to be outdone . . .

"At least 16 people were detained after riotous celebrations swept through downtown Montreal beginning late Monday, leaving a trail of burned police cars and vandalized shops."

Comment

Working...
        X