No announcement yet.

Who?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought tonight's episode was pretty good. Kept me guessing right to the end who the 'baddy' was.

***SPOILER***

Really not convinced by the Doctor's theory that it's not the system at fault, it's the people using the system for evil purposes. But still a good episode.

Comment

My knowledge of Partition began with the movie Gandhi, followed by reading Freedom at Midnight, as mentioned. This was not until after I had left school in England. Before that, India and Pakistan were cricket, hockey and immigrants, probably in that order. I was aware that they had been British (hence the immigrants and the sport) but that was the extent of it. That level of ignorance (from a uni-bound smartass with good grades) is the kind of thing I try and remember when rolling my eyes at the yoof today.

I didn't watch the episode. The Rosa Parks one grated, so I expected more of the same and gave it a miss. (Also one preview said "Too much sonic screwdriver", which was enough to put me off).

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
        My first view of the new Who. My mum was particularly excited that it would be set in Sheffield but then all we got was Park Hill flats, some out of focus skylines in the background and a hotel which doesn't really exist.
        The first episode is the one for the South Yorkshire tourism board. The hills look positively arcadian, the opening aerial shots are like the Sound of Music.

Comment

Originally posted by tee rex View Post
          The first episode is the one for the South Yorkshire tourism board. The hills look positively arcadian, the opening aerial shots are like the Sound of Music.
          Except it was all filmed on the hill above Taff's Well. You could see my mate's house.

Comment

Oh PT, you've shattered my illusions. Or reinforced my old prejudices ("it really is grim up north, had to relocate"). There was a glimpse later of Bramall Lane under lights (well, I assumed it was, probably turn out it was Ashton Gate or something). It's like the BBC think Dr Who is all made up.

Comment

Thought last night's episode was a bit rubbish plot-wise, but Alan Cummings was hilarious as King James 1. They seem to be going all out for areas of history rarely taught on the UK school syllabus.

Doctor Who used to be all about filming in slate quarries. That seems to have been replaced by filming in muddy woodland. Last night's was particularly dank.

Comment

Last night was the first one I've watched in ages. i reckon my girls would like it.

Comment

Wouldn't mind Alan Cummings as King James to become a recurring character.

Comment

Mistakingly thought I was watching a reality TV show based in rural Lancashire!

Comment

Great work from Siobhan Finneran too. Scarier before she was a mud zombie than after.

Comment

The “alien” voice in whichever episode was being broadcast at the time I mentioned Julian Clary was.....errrh Julian Clary. Twas the Indian partition episode I believe.

Comment

So, um, the Norway episode.

What a crock.

Comment

In fact so far we've had...

Opening episode - a few script/story problems and crap baddie
                            Space contest - quite liked it as it was a bit different
                            Rosa Parks - had to switch it off
                            Spiders - no aliens; sort of an X Files plot line
                            Hospital ship - OK but not great
                            Punjab - probably the best episode so far
                            Future Amazon with Lee Mack - an interesting concept that kept me guessing who the villain was going to be (subtext Luddites are bad)
                            Witchfinders - Alan Cummings as the stand out guest star of the series
                            Norway - clunk, clank, clunk

Probably about 4 decent episodes all told. Series ends next week and there's a New Years Day episode as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                              Wouldn't mind Alan Cummings as King James to become a recurring character.
                              He was brilliant. Ate most of the scenery as he went and looked to be having a whale of a time.

I quite liked the Norwegian one, if only because it brought back some of the mysticism of the Doctor as she talked to Grandma Frog about the history of the character.

Comment

The thing that really, really annoyed me about the Norway episode was the mirror-world Slayer logo. It was backwards NOT mirrored. And that really fucking pissed me off about it. Such a simple thing to get right and they arsed it up.

Plus we got Doctor Wikipedia explaining the monster/ creature / cause of weirdness. Which is always a bit shit and has happened a few times this series.

Comment

I really liked the Norway episode, that and Kablam are probably my two favourites so far.

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                  The thing that really, really annoyed me about the Norway episode was the mirror-world Slayer logo. It was backwards NOT mirrored. And that really fucking pissed me off about it. Such a simple thing to get right and they arsed it up.
                                  Er, what? The whole sequence filmed in the pretend world was mirrored, they clearly just filmed it on the same set with the same costumes and flipped the image: you can see that the doctor and Bradley Walsh's side partings are on the wrong side in that world for example.
                                  Last edited by Fussbudget; 08-12-2018, 23:43.

Comment

The Slayer motif runs right to left in the mirror universe. But it shouldn't. It should run left to right with the lettering mirrored. So the S should have started on the left as you looked at it but pointed the wrong way.

Comment

What? Why should it look like that? If it did, reversing it in a mirror again would read "REYALS" instead of the correct logo.

Comment

I can't really explain it without a picture. But mirrored text isn't the same as reversed text.

Comment

I'm so confused. That reversed Slayer t-shirt was literally the way a Slayer t-shirt would look in a mirror:

SLAYER | ЯƎYA⅃Ƨ

Am I missing something? I don't see any other way the logo could have looked.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
                                            I'm so confused. That reversed Slayer t-shirt was literally the way a Slayer t-shirt would look in a mirror:

SLAYER | ЯƎYA⅃Ƨ

Am I missing something? I don't see any other way the logo could have looked.
                                            I've gone and tried this out with a t-shirt and a mirror and I rather think I've made a tit out of myself.

Comment

Sorry, FB. Yes, I think you're right.

Comment

Ha no problem, thanks PT. You did have me scratching my head there for a bit.

I didn't realise tonight's episode was the season finale until the announcer said so afterwards.

Comment

I mentioned it a few posts back. Before the Slayer logo confusion.

I thought it was a decent episode although

[SPOILER]

I didn't think much of "Tim Shaw" in the first episode so wasn't particularly interested seeing him back. Also, why wait until your fifth try to zap Earth with your cosmic super weapon?

But, overall, an alright series.

Comment

I've just seen the second trailer for the New Year's Day one and am yelping like an overexcited puppy!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X