X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I love love love this new show.

Comment

It's been consistently very good.

I disagree with posters above that the Rosa Parks one was dull, it is trying to do something different to previous historical episodes. I may expand later after the caffeine has kicked in.

Comment

Originally posted by Fussbudget View Post
        And the Supertram!
        True. It was going to Malin Bridge too, very much her neck of the woods, though she didn't notice that in the brief moment it was on screen and I had to point it out to her.

Comment

I'm with Thistle and de Galles on Rosa Parks. Clunked badly from start to finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Levin View Post
            It's been consistently very good.

I disagree with posters above that the Rosa Parks one was dull, it is trying to do something different to previous historical episodes. I may expand later after the caffeine has kicked in.
            It wasn't dull. It was cringeworthy. And tone deaf to suggest it took some woke British people from the 21st century to kick start the civil rights movement.

And even newly regenerated, why was the Doctor so flummoxed that a white woman sharing a table with a black man in a pub in 1950s Alabama would cause problems? FFS.

Comment

FUCKING GIANT FUCKING SPIDERS. FUCK THAT.

Trump expy was amusing.

Comment

I enjoyed episode 5.

My mate who's a massive Whovian texted me to say he's not missing the Steven Moffat story arcs and how he thinks the series is getting better.

I like how it's been a bit different to 'hidden aliens trying to take over the world' and someone has to spend a loooooong time waiting BECAUSE THAT'S THE TRUEST WAY TO SHOW LOVE!!!

Comment

The latest was pure filler and the constant voyage of family discovery through aliens (both with the companions and the aliens themselves) is starting to grate.

Bradley Walsh got all the best lines.

Comment

As much as it pains me to say this, I agree with Eggchaser.

Comment

Tonight's is going to be ... interesting. Indian partitition, 1947. This was one of the worst, most horrible periods in human history. Millions died. And we - the Brits - were pretty much responsible. Laudable that Doctor Who will open a hidden cupboard of history to a modern audience but I hope they don't saccharine it up.

Comment

*Spoiler*. *Not really*.

Julian Clary isn’t it.

Comment

Eh?

Anyway, I thought that was quite an interesting (and very sad) episode.

Things I liked:
                          Bringing up that the million or so people who died are very much forgotten victims of the Imperial legacy
                          The parallel between then and now in terms of angry media whipping up fear and hate
                          Showing how Indian soldiers served in World War II

Comment

As someone whose parents lived through Partition (my dad was about 10 when it happened) and lived in Punjab -Even now my dad finds it difficult to talk about - I thought that the Demons of Punjab episode was remarkably well done...

*Been away for a couple of weeks and only just catching up...

Btw - still not sure about her basically doing an impersonation of David Tennant. Perhaps as the series goes on she'll find her own voice
                            Last edited by gt3; 18-11-2018, 17:41.

Comment

I thought it was the best episode of the new season so far. I even learned things I was not taught in school.

Comment

It's a fascinating period of history FF... I'd be interested to know what you weren't taught. It was barely mentioned in my history lessons at school.

Comment

Tonight's is apparently set in a delivery warehouse that is so large it has taken over an entire planet. So not education about the past, just about the near future ...

Comment

Originally posted by gt3 View Post
                                    It's a fascinating period of history FF... I'd be interested to know what you weren't taught. It was barely mentioned in my history lessons at school.
                                    I don't recall being taught anything about it, to be honest. Our high school history lessons were divided into US History and World History, and the latter focused mostly on WW1 and WW2. I had heard the word "Partition" before, but I didn't know anything about the event or why it happened. I've been reading about it this morning, so I know more now than I did last week.

Comment

Yes.

Partition is very rarely part of a US high school syllabus outside of AP World History (which isn’t even offered in the large majority of schools).
                                      Last edited by ursus arctos; 18-11-2018, 18:25.

Comment

Not everyone is a fan of his, but Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children is a good (fictional) exploration of the issues, and Vikram Seth's A Suitable Boy is an equally good (fictional) account of the subsequent ramifications... I have yet to find a good non-fictional account of Partition - perhaps the only way that one can conceive of it is through fiction, hence the lack of a decent history...
                                        Last edited by gt3; 18-11-2018, 18:32. Reason: spelling

Comment

So it stands to reason that a fictional tv show would be a good vehicle for introducing the subject to millions of people.

Comment

Originally posted by gt3 View Post
                                            Not everyone is a fan of his, but Salman Rushdie's Midnight's Children is a good (fictional) exploration of the issues, and Vikram Seth's A Suitable Boy is an equally good (fictional) account of the subsequent ramifications... I have yet to find a good non-fictional account of Partition - perhaps the only way that one can conceive of it is through fiction, hence the lack of a decent history...
                                            My knowledge comes from the book "Freedom at Midnight" which I found quite informative when I read it (though that was a very long time ago) and Midnight's Children which I loved (but then I love most of Rushdie)

Comment

BTW to be honest it wasn't covered much if at all in the British history syllabus in my time (despite being recent history that was very much part of our history)

Comment

Well, when I was at uni, “history” officially ended in 1945, anything more recent was considered “political science” (which we called “Government” just to be different).

Freedom at Midnight is quite good, if not one for those expecting deep historical analysis. It has the benefit of being written by a Frenchman and an American.

Comment

The writer of Demons posted some of his reading materials on twitter. He strongly recommended Saadat Hasan Manto (there is a Penguin selected stories entitled Kingdom's End).

Comment

Not partition but related - pretty much my entire knowledge of the history of Kashmir since partition also comes from fiction. Rushdie again and most recently Arundhati Roy's "The Ministry of Utmost Happiness"

Comment

Working...
                                                    X