No announcement yet.

Who?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

apparent cliffhangers involving mortal danger are just going to be shrugged off without explanation because 'the Doctor can do that' it quickly renders the original peril redundant, like someone firing a missile at the Hulk.
    I mean, that's pretty much always the case with Dr Who (new Who anyway). Just wave a sonic screwdriver at a problem, or make a shouty speech.

Comment

I thought it a little dull, for me, the "new Doctor is confused" story probably ran its course with the excellent David Tennant Christmas aliens one.

Female Doctor? Meh. Nothing has actually happened yet (see confused Doctor above) so I reserve judgement as to whether she's any good in the role, irrespective of the contents of her clown trousers (can't say I am a great fan of the costume).

I hope they are rescued Hitchhiker's style.

Comment

Ha, yes that would be brilliant. As I recall, didn't the newly-regenerated Tenth Doctor make some reference to Arthur Dent ("Nice chap", or similar) in the context of being clad in dressing gown and pyjamas himself for much of 'The Christmas Invasion', the episode you refer to right there?

Comment

Walsh driving past Bramall Lane in a WHU scarf. Hmmmmm. I was expecting some sort of Tevesesque “Welcome to Sheffield” billboard in the background to flash by.

Comment

Eh up lass, it's Dr Whoddersfield

Comment

I had my doubts, but having seen the episode am now a believer. I like her because she is almost a female version of David Tennant's Doctor. I'm referring mostly to her physical mannerisms and speech patterns. Time will tell, but I think this series will get even better as she grows into the part.

Comment

I get that it's probably better that the show runner likes Doctor Who as opposed to the opposite but I'm not sure all these nostalgic callbacks are great in the long run.

[spoiler]The new theme tune, Venusian Aikido, even the hexagonal pattern in the TARDIS. I thought it was quite fun and nice that it wasn't about saving a world. Whittaker still hasn't put a foot wrong.[/spoiler]
                Last edited by Levin; 14-10-2018, 23:05.

Comment

What hexagonal pattern? I've only seen the first episode--no Tardis, but I am glad to hear it's back (I knew it would be).

Comment

I didn't like the new theme tune at the start of the show. At the end I 'got it' that it was a bit retro.

A schoolfriend posted a long Facebook rant about how episode 2 'looked cheap' in comparison to episode 1. I didn't feel that. I thought the sets were pretty good. However my friend also pointed out the 'three companion problem' and he has a point. Yaz had very little to do in this episode.

I can't really see how they resolve this. Obviously the arc for Ryan and Graham is one where they become family. But a female Doctor and two male companions might be difficult. It got a bit creepy with a male Doctor and young, female solo companions after a while.

[Spoiler]Not sure about the Stenzah as baddies for the series. I wasn't particularly fussed on 'Tim Shaw' in the first one. That whole teeth on the face thing was a bit bizarre.

Anyway, next episode is Alabama in 1955. Let's see how they handle that.[/spoiler]

Comment

How are these show spoiler things meant to work?

Comment

Sorry Femme, I messed up my spoiler tags.

The original TARDIS and subsequent ones used hexagons a lot. In object shape and even wall decoration.

SW2, do you mean?

The Show Spoiler thing is a button that shows text the writer has chosen to hide leaving it up to the reader to decide if they want to read stuff they haven't seen.

or

spoiler and then /spoiler within square brackets

or

Given the topic of this thread is it not sensible to assume that anyone in it has seen episodes or there wouldn't be here and using spoiler tags is a bit over the top if the episode has aired?

Comment

FF is an episode behind and I'm not sure when episodes are released over in America.

Originally posted by sw2borshch View Post
                          How are these show spoiler things meant to work?
                          They don't work on mobile view.

Comment

Liked that one.

[spoiler] The scientists' message on the floor was very Mines of Moria.

"Don't panic!" - Coincidence or more Hitchhiker's references?

The spaceships' interiors and Star Trek crash acting was a bit wanky.

Loved the fact that the story started properly in what looked like a quarry.

RUN SIDEWAYS, NOT IN THE SAME DIRECTION AS THE CRASHING SPACESHIP!

The ending felt a bit Deus Ex with the TARDIS just stabilising without any effort on the Doctor's part.

Nicely creepy vibe and a genuine sense of foreboding at times.[/spoiler]

Comment

No worries, Levin, it wasn't a major plot point.

Comment

They definitely don't work on mobile view, also makes replying a pain!

Comment

So I got about 20 minutes from the end of episode 3, decided I wasn't enjoying it, so turned it off. I don't mind them doing 'issues' episodes, but this felt disrespectful and trivialising. The entrenched racism of 1950s Alabama isn't a suitable back drop for tea-time time travel telly.

Comment

You probably missed the worst of it then as the final scenes set my teeth on edge. I think it's laudable to address racism and America's civil rights movement but the script and tone of last night's episode tipped in to something from The Ladybird Book of Big Important Issues in places.

Comment

Duly warned, thanks. This morning I wondered if I should persist with it.

Comment

It was like an episode of Quantum Leap.

Comment

It really reminded me of that episode where Sam jumps into the body of an elderly black man in the deep South.

Comment

I lasted the distance for the spiders episode even though, brrrrr, spiders!

Mrs Thistle commented that it ended rather abruptly. I wonder if the president character will return later in the series.

Comment

My first view of the new Who. My mum was particularly excited that it would be set in Sheffield but then all we got was Park Hill flats, some out of focus skylines in the background and a hotel which doesn't really exist. Still reasonably enjoyable tosh. The bloke off of Sex and the City must be coming back later in the series

Comment

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
                                                I lasted the distance for the spiders episode even though, brrrrr, spiders!

Mrs Thistle commented that it ended rather abruptly. I wonder if the president character will return later in the series.
                                                I was a bit 'urgh, spiders', but I did like the 'denouement' at the end.

I can see the 'Jack Robinson' character returning to get his just desserts. The character had certain 'Harriet Jones' qualities about him.

I was surprised there was no 'The Runaway Bride' references in this episode.

Comment

Yeah. I wondered if it was going to be a return of the alien spider queen but then it wasn't.

Mrs Thistle thought the spiders were cute and said how if spiders were that size they'd be house pets. She is well weird.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                                    My first view of the new Who. My mum was particularly excited that it would be set in Sheffield but then all we got was Park Hill flats, some out of focus skylines in the background and a hotel which doesn't really exist.
                                                    And the Supertram!

Comment

Working...
                                                    X