Who?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Patrick Thistle View Post
    I got texted by someone who works for Radio Wales asking me to phone in for their phone in about the new doctor phone, as I was a "genuine fan" and "articulate". I told them I'm not really a fan any more and hmgjbrrflrrbuuduu
    Could you translate that last word for those of us who don't speak Welsh, Patrick?

Comment

I finished the series yesterday and I think this is the best one since the Tennant era, possibly S2 (although the first Matt Smith series was good right up until the awful finale). The writers finally got their act together towards the second half of the last series, and along with this series, have given Capaldi the stories to show what a great a doctor he is. A real shame there was too much sonic sunglasses and guitar bollocks early on, masking some truly terrible stories (the moon being an egg, and the trees saving mankind being two which will unfortunately live long in the memory).

As for the nonsense about the new doctor being a woman, I saw the last few episodes after that was revealed, and it really shouldn't have been a surprise. It was quite clearly signposted both with the interaction between Missy and the Master (did the fanboys forget that they're the same timelord) and a conversation between the Doctor and cyber Bill, with the Doctor specifically saying that gender was irrelevant to time lords, and Bill pointing out that they're still called time LORDS.
      Last edited by ooh aah; 20-07-2017, 08:50.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam View Post
        Could you translate that last word for those of us who don't speak Welsh, Patrick?
        Sorry Sam. I'd have my Welsh card rescinded if I did that.

Comment

There is no Welsh word for "rescinded", fact* fans.

*Not fact

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Gymshorts View Post
            There is no Welsh word for "rescinded", fact* fans.

*Not fact
            I HAD to look it up.

It's "ddadwneud".

Comment

Finally saw the ending.

Thought it was brilliant, as I'm wont to do.

I've read a few people other than GY who hated that Bill escaped the Cybersuit. I don't know, I thought the emotional impact was already way too intense. A companion got turned (turned as in got turned to hamburger with wires and knobs soldered onto her bones) into a Cyberman....and it was the Cyberman we'd laugh at when we saw books from the 60s, not the cool ones with fiberglass. Poor bill got the goofiest/scariest/Devo's "Jocko-Homo-tied-up-white-writhing-bag" version of a Cyberman.

Then you had Simm making fun of her with lines something like "that's when they remove all the bodyparts" and taunting her. I didn't find it lazy at all...the fact is it was Bill's mind inside that was refusing to become a Cyberman. The mirror and shadow scenes were quite scary and effective, and kept jarring her back into her reality. If anything, I wish we saw more of Cyberbill's sardonic wit and sky-is-falling kind of jokes she'd make to Nardole and the Doctor. If it was the last round for this wonderful, brilliant team, I wish we'd see more of the threesome's banter and physical comedy with the Cybersuit.

The reality is it was the actresses' last round. There is no way in hell they'd be able to keep the actress off the screen, especially when she was one of the greatest companions of all time. The bits with "I don't want to continue if I can't be me" were utterly heartbreaking.

Missy's final scene when she spoke with that deep voice to Simm gave me chills. If only this Simm could go back in time to that ridiculous 3-part ending, then reshoot all of those scenes. His scenes with Missy were utterly fabulous and sexy and chilling. Lord, I love Missy. (It also brought up my question if it's gay if you travel back in time a few seconds and give your seconds younger/older version a handjob.) Hopefully we'll see her against a female counterpart. That should make for some quality banter.

I think Bill being trapped forever or dying as a Cyberman would've been a little much. Her getting turned into one was already a lot of much. They already established Water Girl could time travel and pretty much go anywhere she wanted. Maybe giving Stareye the option to turn Bill human again was a bit goofy, but I think it's time to think of the children. Bill's character arc was that she was kind and wonderful and only wanted to better herself and learn as much as she could and find someone to love. The beauty of the character was that her scariest moment, her riskiest choice, was meeting the Doctor in his university office and accepting his offer. Getting turned into a Cyberman was an unfortunate turn of events, which would keep her from her desire to learn and improving herself. It would really serve no purpose to the story or the character to keep her from that (or it would be the story my father-in-law taught me about a child who asked his father the secret to success. The father told him to jump off the stairs, and he'd catch him. The child jumped off the stairs, and the father backed away and let him crash. His father told him "that's the secret. Don't even trust your own father.") But having whatever essence of Bill turned into a watergirl would keep her dreams intact.

I would assume having dreams and following them and believing in yourself and doing the best you can and having hope that if you are brave and work hard you will accomplish all that you hope for is kind of what Doctor Who has been about.
              Last edited by jason voorhees; 25-07-2017, 17:22.

Comment

This word "stan" I keep seeing

What mean that?

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

What mean that?
                  Please elaborate.

Unless it's a reference to the Eminem song in which a fanboy is so upset Eminem didn't write back to him that he killed his girlfriend.

Comment

Caught up, after kind of giving up after the monk trilogy.
                    Actually, the Roman/Pict one, the Cyber- mr nappy head ones were fair to middling, and a big step up than The Silence sorry The Monks storyline.
                    Although all this angst around companions gets wearing after the umpteenth series since the reboot.

However looking forward to the Christmas one, for a change.

Comment

Originally posted by Guy Profumo View Post

What mean that?
                      As JV notes, an obsessive follower. Possibly a conflation of "stalker" and "fan".

Comment

The common usage stems directly from the Eminem song, as jv suggests. He might have chosen that particular name for the character due to it's portmanteau possibilities, I suppose. One would have to ask him.

It is certainly appropriate for anybody getting het up about a casting decision in a TV Sci-Fi drama.

Comment

Why has it suddenly popped up on this thread?

Comment

Guy brought it up. I suspect he has heard people using the term to disparage those unhappy about the new Doctor.

Comment

Originally posted by Janik View Post
                              Guy brought it up. I suspect he has heard people using the term to disparage those unhappy about the new Doctor.
                              All things considered, a Detroit episode would be great.

And all things considered, the Stan video kind of is similar to the finale in how gravity plays tricks with time, or how time operates differently in different places.
                              Last edited by jason voorhees; 27-07-2017, 21:01.

Comment

Apologies if this has been discussed above, but I was rather shocked recently to hear the lead character calling himself Dr. Who as I had always assumed back in the 70s that this was taboo and he would only answer to Doctor or The Doctor.

Comment

I'm very late to this party, I know, but I only recently started watching Dr. Who. I started with the Christopher Eccleston (I didn't go back to the very old episodes, in other words). I binged it all the way until the end of David Tennant's run and I watched all of the DT Specials, and I watched all of Torchwood as well. And now my enthusiasm has waned because of Matt Smith. I want to like him, I really do, but he isn't David Tennant. I almost feel like watching the first four seasons again instead of going forward.

I also find Matt Smith's face distracting because I think he looks like Harry Flowers.

Comment

Matt Smith was fine as the doctor but Amy and Rory were a pain in the arse, too much River fucking Song and some of the storylines were complicated for complicated sake, straight by to Capaldi and you'll miss nothing IMHO

Comment

Funnily enough, I'm also in the process of watching/rewatching all the episodes of the new-Who era. Currently in the middle of season 6.

Matt Smith is by far my favourite modern Doctor actually, he has the perfect balance of seeming really young and really old at the same time, and has this weirdly plastic and mobile face. I realise I'm in the minority here but David Tennant doesn't really work for me as a 900-year old time-travelling alien, he's just too normal-looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Reginald Christ
                                        To be fair The Eleventh Hour, The Time Of Angels, Flesh And Stone, The Pandorica Opens and The Big Bang (all from Smith's first season) are terrific episodes. The quality tended to drop off after that as Moffat threw himself into writing Sherlock and it seemed he was treating Who as an afterthought.
                                        I haven't rewatched this one yet, but I remember Hide from the last Matt Smith season as being tremendous as well.

Comment

When Tennant left I thought I could never love another Doctor like I had him and Tom Baker but Matt Smith was a revelation and his performances matched, if not exceeded, his predecessor.

The writing and supporting cast may not always have lived up to those performances, though they were often excellent too, but Smith was fantastic.

Comment

I watched The Time of Angels last night (after stopping the Churchill one about halfway through--the Daleks get on my nerves). I will stick with it, but I will probably skip over episodes on the way to Capaldi.

Comment

Originally posted by elguapo4 View Post
                                              Matt Smith was fine as the doctor but Amy and Rory were a pain in the arse, too much River fucking Song and some of the storylines were complicated for complicated sake, straight by to Capaldi and you'll miss nothing IMHO
                                              We were following from the Ecclestone relaunch and gave up early on the Capaldi period. No reflection on him. It's the above - overworked angsty assistant related plotlines which began with Rose and carried on from there. Catherine Tate really didn't help. This and over-complicated plots. We just gave up. Martha was by far the best assistant in this period.

Comment

Yes, Martha was the best--and even Mickey! I think Rose was less annoying after she went to the other place. I mean when she would pop back over toward the end of Tennant's run. But I never warmed to Donna Noble. I was glad to see her leave.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                                  We were following from the Ecclestone relaunch and gave up early on the Capaldi period. No reflection on him. It's the above - overworked angsty assistant related plotlines which began with Rose and carried on from there. Catherine Tate really didn't help. This and over-complicated plots. We just gave up. Martha was by far the best assistant in this period.
                                                  Yes, Sits totally speaks for me here.

Comment

I assume that the focus on the companions was an attempt by showrunners to balance out things by offering a female perspective. That should calm down now we have a female Doctor.

Then again, it appears that she has three companions.
                                                    Last edited by Ray de Galles; 23-10-2017, 16:01.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X