• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who?

Haha, that looks terrible!

Comment

Who?

Well, I quite enjoyed most of tonight's, even if the denouement with the golden arrow made no sense whatsoever. Next week's looks bloody scary.

Comment

Who?

Yeah. The trailer for next week might tempt me back.

This week felt like a comic relief pisstake.

The golden arrow bit was nonsense. How exactly does firing an arrow at a spaceship help power it?

Comment

Who?

I am pretty certain one of the early Doctors ran into a mediaeval bowman who proved the undoing of a Sontaran by shooting him in the neck with an arrow in the bit where he recharged himself.

I liked the guard-fooling scene.

Comment

Who?

Either this series is under whelming everyone, or the old "Who?" thread is being forgot about.

I am enjoying this series more than I thought I would, Capaldi is adding the required menace back to the doctor, and Clara is actually doing pretty damn well.

This one, was suitably creepy, and I imagine lots of kids of a certain age having nightmares.

It was good and bad Moffat tried to link it all together ; but without adding spoilers I won't go into details.
            It was good, as I thought "hey thats neat"; but bad as I also thought " why do you need to keep linking things together, whats wrong with just a stand alone story sometimes?"

Not sure of the need for the romance bit; but I am sure it will mean something truly "timey wimpy" as was touched upon this episode.
            Any way so far 6,5/10 for the series so far.

Comment

Who?

I must admit, I would need to re-watch Saturday's to work out just what the f*** was meant to be going on.

Comment

Who?

VTTBoscombe wrote: This one, was suitably creepy, and I imagine lots of kids of a certain age having nightmares.

It was good and bad Moffat tried to link it all together ; but without adding spoilers I won't go into details.
                It was good, as I thought "hey thats neat"; but bad as I also thought " why do you need to keep linking things together, whats wrong with just a stand alone story sometimes?"
                Yeah. One very good, creepy scene, but the rest of it... not sure what the point was. I wanted to know more about the monster(s).

Comment

Who?

I must confess two things:-

1). On Tuesday night, in the dark in my daughter's room, I stepped away from her bed, which does have room for a creepy monster to hide under.

2). Capaldi's accent made me think the spaceman's name was Awesome Pink.

Comment

Who?

Ha, I was totally the same, though I had thought Clara had also said the toy was Colonel Awesome.

Comment

Who?

On the whole, enjoying this season the most since back when things were simpler. Early Tennant if I had to guess. I think the point was we didn't see the thingy.

Comment

Who?

I gave up after 20 minutes. Have given up on Who altogether, I've decided.

I'll be the lone voice and say Peter Capaldi just doesn't do it for me.

Comment

Who?

You won't be the lone voice. Even many of his admirers are admitting that he is taking time to warm to the role. He doesn't seem to have made the same immediate impact as the three previous nu-series Doctors, but I thought he was really finding his feet with Listen.

Stick with it, anyway - consensus of opinion from those that have read non-spoilery summaries from Steven Moffatt of forthcoming episodes is that the latter half of the season looks far more promising. Rumour has it that the move to an 8:30pm start is not just to accommodate Strictly Come Dancing, but also because the content is a degree scarier.

Comment

Who?

Now tonight's episode I enjoyed. Nothing clever, but a decent standalone episode with no plot arc bullshit, a decent finish and reasonably interesting characters (certainly more than bloody Clara).

Comment

Who?

Clara's eyebrows should get their own series.

Comment

Who?

Clara makes me want to root for the Daleks.

Comment

Who?

Dear god that was poor. Take a nice creepy if not exactly taxing premise (space spiders) and turn it into a hamfisted metaphor. A planetary referendum on abortion? My other half pointed out that while a female-heavy Doctor-light episode might be an interesting premise it just felt like a man's take on a Woman's Episode for Women about Women's Issues (as Clara, reaching her annoying angsty nadir, whines, "It was cheap, it was tacky, it was patronising." Yes, yes it was.)

Comment

Who?

London Underground signal levers and a release being taken.

Comment

Who?

Wow. I don't think I'm over-reacting in thinking that was the worst new series episode, and by a reasonable distance. You can't have an ethical dilemma that revolves around a plot as stupid as that. The lights bit...laughable. Dogshit.

Comment

Who?

If for some reason someone had said "and that's how The Clangers first saw the Iron Chicken" - I wouldn't have been suprised.

Waste of an episode.

Comment

Who?

I don't know about the worst episode, but it certainly had the most bullshit science. I particularly liked the "it's not rock, it's eggshell" argument. Yes, eggshell made of rock. We know it's rock because we've been to the moon and tested it. You're standing on it right now.

Comment

Who?

Oh, and the other really good one, the spontaneous generation of matter in the creature immediately laying an apparently identical egg. Speaking of, what the hell is this creature's reproductive cycle supposed to look like?

Comment

Who?

The thing that got me — eggshell/rock, insta-replacement egg-laying, etc. notwithstanding — was the statement (twice!) that the moon had been there for "a hundred million years". Not billions, a hundred million. I found it an implausible lapse, like the writer has no sense of geological/astronomical scale and decided that's about how long the history of earth must be, without anyone in the production noticing any different. How that could be allowed through into the filmed script is beyond me.
                                              There must have been a hell of a lot of awfully surprised dinosaurs* when that thing turned up halfway through the Cretaceous period and started giving them all this light at night, these 'tides' things twice a day and so on.

Edit: * And 'Silurians', of course.
                                              Last edited by Various Artist; 04-08-2018, 00:47.

Comment

Who?

At the end of the show I retrofitted an explanation for that - the current egg was 100m years old but there were other eggs before that. And I still kind of think that might be how it ended up in the script, even if the characters at the time didn't know that there'd be another egg, so why would they say that? But it really doesn't make sense anyway. How do you reconcile it with the actual age of real moon rocks?

It's almost like Moffat has decided that the earth in Doctor Who is no longer a fantastical version of the real earth, but a full-on Earth Two.

Comment

Who?

Fair play GY, that's a heroic attempt to make a silk purse out of this particular scientific sow's ear. It was the kind of blatantly 'off' note that would make one point and laugh at a classic '60s episode, say, so heaven knows how it blunders into today's high-concept, high-budget extravaganzas. Like you say, people have dated moon rocks. As well as establishing that they're not made of eggshell.
                                                  Mind you, we're probably on Earth Three or Four now after all the occasions the planet/time/the universe has technically ended in recent series only to be popped back into existence again, so if they turned out to be made of green cheese after all I suppose we shouldn't be too surprised.

The suspiciously convenient reasoning that because it was shell, when it hatched it "vaporised" instead of crashing to earth in city-sized chunks was just casually tossed in there too, wasn't it? Saying effectively "it's eggshell so that's all right then" didn't really cut the mustard. Surely an eggshell with the consistency of rock will behave like rock — i.e. the planet nearby should've been carpet-bombed for weeks with millions of fragments of all sizes, given a good proportion of the bits we saw all blow off conveniently into space should have come Earth's way. I mean, I don't like to carp about these things, and in a truly fantastical storyline you can throw what quasi-scientific bollocks you want at the script, but you can't peddle that much blatantly wrong stuff (in what surely on some level is still an 'educational' show, too) without looking very clueless.

Comment

Who?

Even the Radio Times said that the ending would make the scientifically minded go a bit loopy. The spiders were scary. The episode would have worked better in the old days, spread out over a series to properly develop the themes.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X