Who?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who?

I missed last night's episode, but going from the comments here, I don't think I'll bother catching up with it on the BBC iplayer. It looked pretty crap from last week's trailer anyway.

Which episode is Richard Dawkins going to be in?

Comment

Who?

I thought it was mildly entertaining, but the giant wasp bit was a tad crap. You come from a another planet and you have the ability to turn yourself into a handsome male model and shag a younger version of Felicity Kendal, but then you spoil it all by saying 'by the way, I'm the wasp the size of a wardrobe'. Talk about breaking off a relationship.

And the Christie-like assembly of all the party goers, with the finger-pointing gubbins, didn't so much bring in overtones of 'Murder On The Orient Express' as the sheep-nobbling episode of Father Ted - "It was you, Fargo Boyle!'

Comment

Who?

That was a pretty poor episode. The central plot was too thin and bulked up with some pointless diversions (the jewel thief, for example; three or four lines of dialogue and nothing really contributed to the overall episode, and the clumsy moralising about gay men forced to hide their love). It was just an excuse for a sub-par Jeeves & Wooster knock-off and some unsubtle gags.

Comment

Who?

I remember saying on the old board, when one of last season's stories was getting alot of flack, that however bizarre or misguided the episodes, the series would only be in trouble when the production team started to become complacent. Well, judging by the lazy, re-hashed plot of the Sontaran story and the smug, self-satisfied aura that pervaded The Unicorn and the Wasp, we might be in danger of reaching that point.

I also posted this, in 2006:

it's curious how the Who related career of Russell Davies has mirrored the Premiership of Tony Blair. brought in on an unprecedented wave of popularity, with a first term that by and largely exceeded expectations. 'Dalek' was his minimum wage, 'The Empty Child' his hunting bill. that popularity effectively gave a mandate for him to do whatever he wanted in the second term (or series, for those of you following the analogy), where questionable decisions led to the first murmurings of dissent; the result being that the third term has been (is going to be, keep up at the back) make or break for the future of the programme.

only time will tell if The Runaway Bride proves to be Russell Davies' Iraq
          Well, perhaps not; but although there hasn't been a change of personnel, I would hate to think that we're now in the programme's Brown era.

Comment

Who?

Well if the quality doesn't pick up sharpish, I'm not going to be watching the next season.

Comment

Who?

Oh yeah?

Comment

Who?

Hallelujah.

Comment

Who?

Oh man oh man oh man oh man oh man oh man. Oh man.

(Must keep expectations under control. He won't be writing them all.)

Comment

Who?

Fucking hell. FUCKING HELL.

Comment

Who?

I'm sitting at my desk, at work, my eyes are misting over and I've got an uncontrollable urge to jump up and punch a hole in the ceiling.

Comment

Who?

The man himself, quoted in an official BBC press release:

"My entire career has been a Secret Plan to get this job. I applied before but I got knocked back 'cos the BBC wanted someone else. Also I was seven. Anyway, I'm glad the BBC has finally seen the light, and it's a huge honour to be following Russell into the best - and the toughest - job in television. I say toughest 'cos Russell's at my window right now, pointing and laughing."

Comment

Who?

But let's not, you know, forget that despite the flack he gets now, Russell Davies brought the whole thing back with an unimaginably successful formula. And for that, he is a legend.

I hope he continues to write for the show.

Comment

Who?

Me happy.

Comment

Who?

Let's hope it's not too late.

Still, though, great news. Can't believe I'm cheering the bloke who wrote "Coupling", but you know, he's come on a lot since then, hasn't he?

Comment

Who?

He deserves credit for bringing back Dr Who, obviously, but I'm not really sure that otherwise Russell T Davies is all that, to be honest. Glad he's stepping down. Even gladder when I see who is taking over.

Comment

Who?

I liked 'Coupling'.

Comment

Who?

I haven't even seen anything after "The Master"* episodes, and I think that's good news.

(*Incidentally, I started watching State of Play and I frankly can't understand why John Simm was asked to ham it up as the other Time Lord. Horrible directing decisions.)

Comment

Who?

Can't believe I'm cheering the bloke who wrote "Coupling", but you know, he's come on a lot since then, hasn't he?
                                      Now, if you'd said Chalk...

I know I'm in danger of sounding like a scratched record, but Coupling was far far better than it had any right to be. For one thing he understood that the comedy of embarrassment is still comedy and as such needs some funny lines (for a great example see the "Lesbian Spank Inferno" episode). Secondly, and of probably greater importance where Doctor Who is concerned, he has the ability to structure complex multi-threaded plots like nobody ever. And he was doing 13-episode story arcs back in the days of Press Gang. The man is a genuine, bona-fide master at what he does and this is the best news since the announcement of the series' return. It's just come about 18 months later than it should have, is all.

Comment

Who?

Didn't see Saturday's episode but I can tell you, it's the first episode in the new series that has got all my class of 7 years olds really buzzing.

And that's what it's all about really, isn't it?

Comment

Who?

That or give them all a can of Coke each, I guess.

Comment

Who?

Jon wrote:
                                            Didn't see Saturday's episode but I can tell you, it's the first episode in the new series that has got all my class of 7 years olds really buzzing.

And that's what it's all about really, isn't it?
                                            No. It's what it's partly about. When it's done properly Doctor Who gets everyone buzzing.

Comment

Who?

That or give them all a can of Coke each, I guess

So class of excited, flatulent, burping kids must be a wonder to behold then.

Incidentally, I started watching State of Play and I frankly can't understand why John Simm was asked to ham it up as the other Time Lord. Horrible directing decisions.

I thought Simm was fine, actually, so tastes differ, I suppose. At one point, he actually felt as if he was channeling Simon Pegg, which made the experience a whole lot easier to enjoy in a strange way.

Moffatt in the producer's chair? (Waves flag, goes 'raaaaay!)

Comment

Who?

What PG said about Coupling. Your man was always on at me to give it a chance, and I found the surface glitz so offputting that I refused to, and then one day I was on a long-haul flight with nothing else to do. After a few minutes, people were staring at the nutter laughing his arse off in seat 27F.

Comment

Who?

This is ridiculous. I'm insanely, unceasingly excited, like a five year old who can't get to sleep on Christmas Eve - and I'm going to be like this every day for the next two YEARS, until episode one of Moffat's first season hits the screen. What do I do?

Comment

Who?

I assume this means Moffatt will take up the job of writing the Christmas episodes which can only be a good thing.

Comment

Working...
                                                    X