Who?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who?

Shameless attempt to get a megathread. Anyway the new series starts on April 5th. Hopes? Fears?

Who?

I'm a little worried that if they bring Rose back they'll contrive to ruin what was a brilliant ending for her character.

And I'm a little worried about bringing whatsername from the Season 3 Christmas special.

Comment

Who?

Isn't Rose in the Doctor Lite/less episode. So she's probably only about because of some glich in time caused by the Doctors disapperance.

Comment

Who?

********** Spoiler ***********

It's looking like Rose (and just about everyone else with some claim to having been a companion) will be in the 2-part series finale as well as the Doctor-lite episode.

Comment

Who?

Ooh, that's the same day BSG starts again. Sci-fi wars!

Comment

Who?

I plan to take every positive I can from the new series and just let the rest ride. Judging from the spoilers I've read, there are moments coming up in the next few weeks that will make serious fanboys (and the writing staff of TV Cream) tear their eyes from their sockets.

Far more promising were Russell Davies' recent comments to the effect that he envisages the series running for at least twenty years, rather than the five or six years that syndicated US series tend to survive. If nothing else, it indicates that he intends to put another long-haul production team in place when he leaves, rather than letting a disinterested stand-in run the thing on autopilot.

Comment

Who?

Oh, and after watching his contributions to a couple of classic series DVDs, it's comically obvious that Philip Hinchcliffe is the George Martin caricature from that Big Train sketch. If he was kidnapped by Islamic fundamentalists he'd spend every second of his time in captivity commenting in a monotonous drawl about Robert Homes' script rewrites and Roger Murray-Leach's designs for the jungle set in Planet of Evil.

Comment

Who?

Shameless attempt to get a megathread.
                Well shouldn't you be talking about Manc scallies, and not some whoppers running around with tin foil on their heads?

Comment

Who?

Have sympathy with us here in the US, a year behind you all on BBC America. This weekend we watched the Weeping Angels episode. Imaginative, funny, scary and superbly scripted, all in one. The whole family's hopelessly hooked.

For Christmas we got some of the old Tom Baker/Peter Davison series on DVD, and the kids can't believe how crap they used to be. Unfortunately, there's not a lot I can say in their defence. Anyone remember the tedium of the Horror of Fang Rock?

Comment

Who?

hahaha

"whoppers"

Comment

Who?

imp wrote:
                      For Christmas we got some of the old Tom Baker/Peter Davison series on DVD, and the kids can't believe how crap they used to be. Unfortunately, there's not a lot I can say in their defence. Anyone remember the tedium of the Horror of Fang Rock?
                      My own journey back into the Who archives has stalled after one story: The Talons of Weng-Chiang, which came highly recommended by my Whomosexual friends but turned out to be slow, clunky, poorly staged, inconsequential and racist.

Comment

Who?

Oh god yes, the pace - they're four parters, and the first part is always this long, drawn-out scene-setting half hour that usually involves a strange but fleeting noise or light, and people stopping in their tracks and going, "What was that?" Probably the sound of dead actors turning in their graves that you got a part in this, Adric. Episode One will then end with the first killing/disappearance and the sound of "aaaaaaaaaaargh!" followed by dum-de-dum, dum-de-dum, dum-de-dum, wooohooooooooooo...

Still, if I come across the series with the giant maggots, I'd definitely watch that again.

Comment

Who?

Oh, by the way, "Whomosexuals" - loved that.

Comment

Who?

Well, I may watch it, but I'm watching Torchwood at the moment and I'm starting to feel a bit like Joan Cusack shortly after fleeing her bar conversation with Tom Selleck during In and Out. I'm sure Mr Davies has his drum to bang, but for heaven's sake, can we have one person with vanilla flavoured heterosexuality in there who isn't either dead, married or utterly hopeless in love, please, rather than an endless cavacade of "are they or aren't they" types for Captain Jack to leer at?

Comment

Who?

This week's Radio Times, by the way, contains an almost complete list of Episode titles for Series 4:

1. Partners in Crime

2. The Fires of Pompeii

3. Planet of the Ood

4. The Sontaran Stratagem (pt.1/2)

5. The Poison Sky (pt.2/2)

6. The Doctor's Daughter ("Does what it says on the tin", according to RTD)

7. The Unicorn & The Wasp

8. Silence in the Library (pt.1/2 - These are Steven Moffat's episodes)

9. River's Run (pt.2/2)

10. Midnight

11. Turn Left

12. TBA (pt.1/2 - The title would be "too revealing", according to RTD)

13. Journey's End (pt.2/2)

There's also a picture of the monsters from 'Partners In Crime' that those who prefer the classic series and have an axe to grind with RTD's version of the show may not care to see.

Comment

Who?

Eggchaser- word. For Russell T. Davies, the Love That Dare Not Speak Its Name has become The Love That Won't Bloody Shut Up.

Comment

Who?

6. The Doctor's Daughter ("Does what it says on the tin", according to RTD)

I'm less surprised that the Doc has fathered a child sometime in the last 900 years, than that he's played by a Scotsman.

I'm three or four years behind, maybe.

Comment

Who?

You're 21 years behind - Sylvester McCoy was also Scottish.

In fact, it could be said that you're 45 years behind, as original companion Susan was the Doctor's granddaughter.

RTD has also said that he will reveal things about the Doctor that the "fanboys" will hate. I'm expecting it to be a "So what?" moment.

The Doctor's daughter will be played by Peter Davison's daughter.

Comment

Who?

Heard an interview with him on Radio 5 today. He's committed himself to this series, then next year there won't be a series 5, only 3 feature-length episodes, presumably at Christmas and Bank Holidays.

This is because he is doing a season at Stratford, playing Hamlet. He was very cagey about what was going to happen after that. I got the impression that he'd do another series if the money was right but this was me reading between the lines.

Know what you mean about the 'Unearthly Child,' Phoebe. Simon Mayo expressed great surprise at Doctor Who having a daughter and I found myself shouting at the radio - what about his grandaughter then? Let's hope there'e some acknowledgement of this when the story come around.

Comment

Who?

I see Christopher Ryan (Mike from The Young Ones) is playing a Sontaran general.

Comment

Who?

Whoops. Afraid I'm not old enough to remember the first doctor, but I should have twigged McCoy as a Scot.

Quick question: can anyone confirm the name of the rhubarb crumble monster that lived underneath a lighthouse? Might have been Ruton or similar.

Comment

Who?

Rutan. Horror Of Fang Rock, 1978.

More like apple crumble, I'd say. Perhaps the females are rhubarb flavoured.

Comment

Who?

There was also a throwaway comment in one of the earlier episodes that he'd "been a father once", which I'm assuming was for those who weren't familiar with the classic series.

Comment

Who?

The Horse wrote:
                                                imp wrote:
                                                My own journey back into the Who archives has stalled after one story: The Talons of Weng-Chiang, which came highly recommended by my Whomosexual friends but turned out to be slow, clunky, poorly staged, inconsequential and racist.
                                                Slow? Yeah, for a lot of people that was the beauty of the classic series. Six parters were always slower, but when you have to introduce new characters and keep a storyline going over 4-6 weeks, you have to make sure the viewers keep up.

Clunky? If that's a reference to the giant rat, you were warned. One of the worst effects in the whole series.

Poorly staged/inconsequential I don't agree with.

Racist. Guilty as charged, although having only been three when it was made, I can't say whether it was of it's time or not (also, don't forget that the story itself is based in Victorian London, so it has to portray that era accurately) . There is a deliberate nod to Fu Manchu in the story (lots of classic Who is influenced by previous writing), but also I'm struggling to think of many Chinese actors from the mid to late 1970s. The only actor I can think of is Robert Lee, and he would have been busy with Mind Your Language.

That said, one of the great things about Classic Who is the diversity of stories, give something completely different a try, like The Caves Of Androzani, Genesis Of The Daleks, or if you want to see Voyage Of The Damned done properly, try The Robots Of Death.

Comment

Who?

I suppose it's inevitable that when you're running a spin-off series like The Sarah Jane Adventures, the temptation to re-use one or two of its cast-off scripts will be too great to resist.

Comment

Working...
                                                  X