It's Your Funeral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's Your Funeral

200%, if you're going to play La Marseillaise, it will have to be the synth version off this album below. Not only will everybody be standing, but they will also be dancing.

For my funeral, I want Wendy Carlos' version of Purcell's funeral march (aka the theme from Clockwork Orange), it's to die for. If I kick the bucket near the Mediterranean though, an underwater burrial ceremony with the soundtrack by François De Roubaix would be in order:

(@ 0:42 on)

Comment

Resurrecting this thread, as it saves me doing my own thing. My dad's entering the crem tomorrow to the jaunty ''Mr. Blue Sky'', and will be leaving through the curtains to ''Piano Man '' by Billy Joel. Fuck knows why - my mum just said he liked both songs. I think I'd like ''Do You Realize'' myself, and a big finish with ''A Huge Ever Growing Pulsating Brain That Rules From The Centre of the Ultraworld'', just to make people wait twenty minutes before leaving.

Comment

Sorry to hear about your loss VT

Comment

Yes, condolences VT. I hope it's OK.

At my brother's cremation in December we began with Mendelssohn and finished with the Sisters of Mercy. His friends felt he would approve.

Comment

Don't know why I'd originally chose 'Lay Me Low' on this thread. These days, I'd have 'Europe Endless', by Kraftwerk, possibly with 'Endless, Endless' to finish. Much more 'me'!

Comment

This thread's determinedly secular so far but how about:

Alison Krauss with a sweetly melancholic bluegrass standard
              And
              Johnny Cash with something altogether darker.

Pascal's Wager, and all that

Comment

Eleanor Rigby and Masters of War are the first that spring to mind.

Comment

Enter One - Sol Seppy
                  Another Day - Roy Harper
                  Untitled - The Cure
                  No Sleep - The Cardigans

Comment

I fully intend to go out to this.

Comment

"Lay Some Flowers On My Grave." - Blind Willie McTell.

Condolences VT. Sad news.

Comment

So yesterday I was sorting through some old papers and came across the order of service from my mother's funeral back in 2014. I'd remembered two of the songs that were played - Sarah McLachlan's version of 'Blackbird' and Stacey Kent's version of 'Hushabye Mountain' - but had forgotten the third. It turned out to be something by flautist James Galway that my father requested. Anyway, it got me thinking about what my own choices would be and whether I ought to maybe write them down somewhere. Not that I'm expecting to shuffle off any time soon but, you know, at 63 you do get a little more conscious of your own mortality. I doubt there are any circumstances that might lead to any of you attending my funeral, whenever that might be, but if it's not tempting fate and with apologies for introducing a maudlin note to proceedings, this is what you would hear. (I had an idea that we had done this subjects not that long ago but my search could only turn up this old thread which, rather poignantly, contains a contribution from dear old Vicarious Thrillseeker).

Nick Drake - 'River Man'

Nils Landgren - 'Love Is Real'

Pat Metheny - 'Farmer's Trust'

Comment

Mad that I missed this thread the first (second and third) times around, but the answer is the same now as it was then, and it's good news if yer into Dylan Carlson. You can load me out of the car and into the crem to this:

And then when they get around to shovelling me into the oven, this:

I find it them both uplifting, tho appreciate your mileage may vary. But it's my funeral not yours (momentarily ignoring that funerals are really for the folks left behind), and I'm firmly in the camp of funerals being miserable. None of this "oh I want it to be a celebration" bollocks. Sod that. Any fucker tries turning up in a Hawaiian shirt, I'm jumping out of the coffin and dragging them down with me. I want people howling and wailing, even if somebody needs to pay some ringers.

And if we're truly playing fantasy funeral, it might be nice to rustle up some musicians to do the first piece live, arranged for Moog and woodwinds. The second will be all sixteen minutes and you will sit there in contemplative silence for the extent of it, no talking or fidgeting, before heading off for pints and a buffet and commiserating that none of youse told me you loved me while I was around to hear it.

Comment

I always fancied going out to Atmosphere by Joy Division, but--following an unfortunate mix-up--departing to Atmosphere by Russ Abbot.

Comment

Hmmmm. Somewhat jarring to read a page on which a poster suggests music for his funeral - a funeral which has now happened.

Comment

Hmmm indeed. I hope he got the Huge Pulsating Brain wish.

Comment

Originally posted by Sits View Post
                                  Hmmm indeed. I hope he got the Huge Pulsating Brain wish.
                                  He didn't I'm afraid but he did use Do You Realise.

It's been nearly 8 months now. Hoping to be able to visit his family in the summer.

Comment

Originally posted by ad hoc View Post
                                    Hmmmm. Somewhat jarring to read a page on which a poster suggests music for his funeral - a funeral which has now happened.
                                    Wha... I didn't know!

Comment

R.I.P to the thread creator, and to respond to the topic, the theme tune to Van der Valk is locked in, and I'm inching towards 'Father sister berserker' by Tobacco for a bit of punch to go out with.

Comment

Yer man's still going. Unfortunately VT isn't.

Comment

I’ve got a funeral playlist for the after funeral party of songs that mean something to my wife, my family and to me.

for the funeral itself, the main songs will be:

Warren Zevon - Keep Me In Your Heart For A While
                                          Nick Cave - Death is Not The End (Bob Dylan cover)
                                          Dean Ford - Reflections of My Life (his acoustic version of his Marmalade song)

Comment

I'm not at all religious, but I really love spiritual old time country and blues.

So I'd open with Angel Band by the Stanley Brothers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIHF...channel=rathat

And then By The Waters of the James

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTV1...alHoneys-Topic

Moving on to Gloryland by The Local Honeys

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MLls...alHoneys-Topic

And finishing on I'll Fly Away. Either the O Brother Where Art Thou version, or the Rev Gary Davis one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFam...ianWelch-Topic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxn3...b_channel=Abel

Not a dry eye in the house.
                                            Last edited by BallochSonsFan; 02-07-2023, 20:34.

Comment

I picked Eleanor Rigby and Masters Of War in 2017.

Now I think I'd want:

This Bitter Earth by Dinah Washington, either the original or as sampled by Max Richter.

Mozart's Clarinet Quintet, slow movement. Which is also the music that most moves me.
                                              Last edited by Satchmo Distel; 12-07-2023, 15:43.

Comment

Working...
                                              X