Kurt Mondschein RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kurt Mondschein RIP

The player I am named after, the real Kurt Mondschein, has passed away.

I have no experience as an obituary writer at all, so be patient with me.

He was 82 years old when he died January 14. Together with Ludwig ("Wiggerl") Zausinger he formed a legendary duo on 1860's right wing throughout the 1950s.

Mondschein was only 5 foot 4, which may have been one of the reasons Sepp Herberger preferred players like Morlock, Fritz Walter or Pfaff for Mondschein's position. He scored more than 100 goals for the club and played from 1949 to 1959.

In the 1990s he achieved some late and short-lived fame when Franz Beckenbauer revealed in one of his autobiographies that Mondschein was his first idol as a player. Beckenbauer also was a guest at Mondschein's funeral.

When I interviewed Kurti (he asked me to call him by that nickname) for our fanzine in 1997, he said the thought of playing for any other club never crossed his mind. He denied he had ever experienced any anti-semitism at the club and firmly rejected the idea Sepp Herberger didn't cap him because he was a Jew. I personally am not so sure.

I like the picture a lot, by the way. He seems to completely fool the two Bayern defenders as well as his teammates. It's probably the best tribute of them all.

Kurt Mondschein RIP

Thanks for that Kurt and hats off. I'd like to know more about the guy.

Comment

Kurt Mondschein RIP

That is a quality photo. Nothing better than seeing big defenders off-balance and facing in the wrong direction while the short, skilful player is zipping off with the ball.

Comment

Kurt Mondschein RIP

Yes. Nice pic.

What colours are 1860 and Bayern wearing? Neither look like they have much relationship to current kit. (Of course Bayern change theirs every year so it's not surprising.) Also do you know of a site that has German Historical Kits?

Comment

Kurt Mondschein RIP

Interviewing a footballing legend (even if that status doesn't transcend locality) is great. Tell us more about the interview and the man.

Comment

Kurt Mondschein RIP

Thanks for the picture, brief obit and the start of interview details, are you going to be able to expand on them?

Comment

Kurt Mondschein RIP

Amor

Munich 1860 are wearing blue and white stripes plus white shorts, Bayern are wearing white (although it looks rather dark to me) shirts with red sleeves plus red shorts.

These were the traditional outfits of the two clubs up to the 1960s. In the early 1960s Munich 1860s changed to all-blue shirts plus white shorts, in the late 1960s or early 1970s (not absolutely sure) Bayern changed to red-all-over. And then we had all the errors of the last 20 years.

I don't know of any site with more historical kits than TOFFS do. Which is kind of sad.

Comment

Kurt Mondschein RIP

Fabulous photo and a worthy tribute, Kurt.
                Mondschein deserves to be better known.

RIP.

Comment

Kurt Mondschein RIP

I wanted to find out more, but this thread is top result for his name in Google. He doesn't appear to even have a Wikipedia page.

Comment

Kurt Mondschein RIP

in the late 1960s or early 1970s (not absolutely sure) Bayern changed to red-all-over
                    There was a lengthy period when Bayern played with red & white striped jerseys. Sometimes they'd wear stripes and solid reds in the same season, as late as 1974.

Comment

Kurt Mondschein RIP

Bayern are wearing white (although it looks rather dark to me) shirts with red sleeves plus red shorts.

Yes, that's one of the reasons I asked. It's a grubby looking white, they look like old B&W photos of Leeds United (yellow and blue.)

Comment

Working...
                      X