1975 European Cup final

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1975 European Cup final

To be in an offside position is to be closer to the opponent’s goal than the last opposition outfield player (therefore excluding the goalkeeper) and the ball. However, to commit an offside offence is to have the ball played forward towards you while in that position. As such, you can be in an offside position and not commit an offside offence.
    I.e.:It doesn't matter is someone is in an offside position, if they don't commit an offside offence. Which might mean that they are not interfering with play, but might mean that the ball hasn't even been passed at all.

Comment

1975 European Cup final

Well, as you can see above, the current wording refers only to "the moment the ball touches or is played by one of his team". Nothing about whether is 'passed' or not. The distinction you are making is not referred to in the laws of the game and I have not seen anything to suggest that it ever was. It is all covered by the section on interfering or gaining an advantage.

My final point on this matter is to refer to this link which refers to a referees meeting in 2004 at which Ray Tinkler was a speaker. The goal is discussed purely in terms of the interpretation of 'interfering with play'. If he had allowed the goal on the basis of whether or not the ball had been passed or because somebody was dribbling then presumably he would have said so.

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4158/is_20040417/ai_n12786324

Comment

1975 European Cup final

I give up. This is the most ridiculously pedantic argument I've ever become embroiled in on OTF (and that is saying an awful lot). OK, it was all about interfering with play, and nothing to do with the fact that dribbling never invokes the offside rule. It is also true that you cannot be offside during the pre-match warm-up or while sitting on the team bus, as you are not deemed to be interfering with play.

Comment

Working...
        X