Flavour of the month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flavour of the month

Managers who, at one point in their careers, were briefly and hugely in demand, only to ultimately slip into obscurity.

Mike Walker is an obvious one. Here's another: Helmut Benthaus.

Twenty-five years ago, this guy managed an unfancied Stuttgart team to the Bundesliga title, at the age of 49. Immediately, he found himself the front-runner for two huge jobs. Cesar Luis Menotti had been forced out as Barcelona manager after a disappointing third place in the league and the devastating defeat by Man United in the Cup-Winners' Cup, while Jupp Derwall had resigned as West Germany boss in the wake of the last-minute elimination by Spain in Paris at Euro 84.

So for a few brief, thrilling weeks, Benthaus was the raging favourite for two of the biggest posts in world football. And he ended up getting neither of them. Firstly, he lost out to Terry Venables for the Barcelona job because Venables was willing to do it for £150,000 a year, a salary much less than what Benthaus or Michel Hidalgo (the other candidate) wanted.

A couple of weeks later, he saw the West Germany job disappear over the horizon when Franz Beckenbauer threw his hat into the ring. Beckenbauer had zero previous managerial experience, but suddenly announced his candidacy with a big newspaper interview that was headlined "FRANZ: I AM READY". The DFB immediately prostrated themselves at his feet and Benthaus's chance had gone.

And then Benthaus's career unravelled at Grand Prix speed. Stuttgart were catastrophically knocked out of the 84/85 European Cup in the first round by Levski Spartak Sofia, and their defence of the Bundesliga title ended in a miserable 10th-place finish. He resigned and went back to Basel, where he had earlier spent 17 years as manager. Within two seasons, they had been relegated to the Swiss second division and Benthaus had been fired.

As far as I can ascertain, he never managed another club and basically went into retirement at the age of 52. I wonder what became of him. You can't even find a decent picture of him on Google Images.

Flavour of the month

Peter Taylor is another that springs to mind.

How on earth was he England manager, even temporarily?

Comment

Flavour of the month

I'm guessing Taylor was made England manager to offer some continuity for players progressing from the U-21 side he ran previously.

Strokes will know if there was a disproportionate number of such players at the time.

Laurie Sanchez's place on the punditry couch is starting to look ominously permanent.

Comment

Flavour of the month

In the summer of 2005, the Real Madrid job was Paul Le Guen's for the asking. Le Guen had just won his third straight French title with Olympique Lyon and had established them as a regular fixture in the last eight of the Champions League.

But instead, he took a year off to recharge his batteries. Then he went to Scotland, fell out with Barry Ferguson, and the rest is history. Now he is not exactly languishing in obscurity, but has spent the last two years toiling away in the lower reaches of Le Championnat with the notoriously unmanageable Paris St-Germain. There's still time for him to come again, though.

Comment

Flavour of the month

Klaus Topmoller had a remarkable first season at Bayer Leverkusen. He didn't win anything but he almost did the treble (was runner-up in all). He was sacked a year later and has since been sacked by SV Hamburg and Georgia.

Comment

Flavour of the month

Is Gerard Houllier still sat in a bar somwehere reading the French equivalent of the Racing Post and glancing hopefully at his mobile phone every twenty minutes?

Comment

Flavour of the month

You say that like it's a poor way to spend time Rogin.

Comment

Flavour of the month

Houllier has since managed Lyon to two French titles, and is probably the third or fourth favourite to succeed that ridiculous cunt Domenech as France boss. So he doesn't count.

Toppmoller is a perfect example -- as is one of his successors as Georgia manager, Hector Cuper, whose career was fatally poisoned by taking the Internazionale job. And even then, it took the second-greatest ever performance of Karel Poborsky's career to dash his hopes.

Comment

Flavour of the month

Benthaus is a great example. I seem to remember that even in the title-winning season, the Stuttgart dressing room thought he was a bit of a fool, and did their own thing.

Comment

Flavour of the month

I can't remember too many of the players from that Stuttgart team -- there was Roleder in goal, the Forster brothers in defence, Guido Buchwald, Sigurvinsson the Icelandic midfielder, and a very young Klinsi being used as a sub.

Another candidate is Nevio Scala, who had a brilliant Parma team in the mid-1990s that won the UEFA Cup and Cup-Winners' Cup, and pushed for the Serie A title a couple of times. The last I heard of him, he was being linked with the Hearts job after a couple of unsuccessful spells managing eastern European clubs.

Comment

Flavour of the month

vennegoor strokes wrote:
                      Another candidate is Nevio Scala, who had a brilliant Parma team in the mid-1990s that won the UEFA Cup and Cup-Winners' Cup, and pushed for the Serie A title a couple of times. The last I heard of him, he was being linked with the Hearts job after a couple of unsuccessful spells managing eastern European clubs.
                      From the same sort of era I nominate Foggia and Lazio's Zdenek Zeman.

After bringing relative success to Foggia (partly thanks to the scoring exploits of my "Gazzetta" era favourite, Beppe Signori), he guided Lazio to a couple of near Scudetto misses before joining their city rivals and then embarking on a journey into obscurity ending in a disastrous spell as coach of Red Star Belgrade.

Comment

Flavour of the month

I seem to remember Zeman's career plunged into the toilet as soon as he came out and publicly accused the Juventus players of being drugged to the eyeballs.

You didn't mess with Moggi in those days.

Comment

Flavour of the month

There was a time when Phillipe Troussier seemed to be linked with just about every national job going. According to wiki his last job was an unsuccessful stint with Japanese 3rd division side FC Ryuku.

Comment

Flavour of the month

I nominate another title-winning coach with Stuttgart, Christoph Daum. Following that success, he went on to build an excellent Leverkusen side who narrowly failed to win the Bundesliga. This saw him linked with a few big jobs, including, unless my memory is playing tricks, Real Madrid, and he eventually was appointed coach of Germany, where he lasted about 5 minutes before testing positive for cocaine and losing the job before he even started it.

A spell in the wilderness followed, and since then he's had a spell in Turkey, and is currently doing a modest job at Koln (although admittedly he did get them promotion, and is guiding them to mid-table solidity in their first season back in the top flight, so perhaps there's time for him to rise again).

Comment

Flavour of the month

Peter Taylor was became England manager because he guided Martin O'Neill's Leicester side to the top of the Premier League by October.

Comment

Flavour of the month

There was a time when Phillipe Troussier seemed to be linked with just about every national job going. According to wiki his last job was an unsuccessful stint with Japanese 3rd division side FC Ryuku.
                                Omar Troussier. Apparently going mad may have contributed to his professional decline...

Comment

Flavour of the month

I can't remember too many of the players from that Stuttgart team -- there was Roleder in goal, the Forster brothers in defence, Guido Buchwald, Sigurvinsson the Icelandic midfielder, and a very young Klinsi being used as a sub.
                                  The Förster bastards doubtless ran the dressing room. Allgöwer was in that squad as well. Sigurvinsson was a very effective midfielder indeed. A very underrated player.

Comment

Flavour of the month

Hofzinser wrote:
                                    I nominate another title-winning coach with Stuttgart, Christoph Daum.
                                    In all fairness, Daum was already thought of as the next big thing in German football management when he was doing *really* well at Köln in the late 80s, so he didn't exactly appear out of nowhere at Stuttgart (I disagree that he was a "flavour of the month" in that regard).

He was fired for doing coke, the same thing that would bring him down exactly a decade later when he volunteered to undergo a drug test to shut up Bayern manager Uli Hoeneß.

Comment

Flavour of the month

John Collins, former Hibs manager and now Charloi manager was manager of the month and being linked with Scotland, Fulham and as a potential successor to Strachan at one time. He may still come good of course.

Comment

Working...
                                      X