Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, I'm officially old now

a Babyshambles scree-saver
    Bloody hell, community service is getting harsh these days isn't it?

Comment

Cat Simon wrote:
      I tend to impress young rap/hip-hop/r'n'b fans by refering to Jay-Z, 50 Cent (incidentialy prounounced fiddyCent), Nas and Nelly as rap's "fab 4", although to be fair, I don't know any of their "songs".
      Also. last week in work, when talking to a 20-year old female colleague, I noticed she had a Babyshambles scree-saver. When I said to her, "I see you're a fan", I got back "yeah, thats Pete Doherty and his band Babyshammbles. He used to be in The Libertines, etc". At 38,it's something I get a lot these days.
      Of course, when I reply I saw Nirvana twice andgot chased off Kurt Cobain's property in Seattle, they go quiet.

Finally, can anyone tell me the difference between Rap, R'n'B and Hip-Hop? And wasn't R'n'B originally used to descibe the Beatles, Stones & Animals?
      Yes yes, and "gay" used to mean "happy", etc etc...

Nelly's kind of finished, by the way. Arguably Nas too. You should update your Fab 4 with Kanye West and... I dunno, Snoop (been around forever but he's still a big deal).

Comment

Okay, I'll update my "Rap/Hip-Hop/R'nB Fab 4"

Jay Z - 'cause he's headlining Glastonbury (like McCartney a couple of years ago)
        Wyclef Jean & Lauren Hill - Bono referred to them as "the Lennon & McCartney of Hip-Hop"
        Tupac - shot dead like Lennon

Can't think of a Ringo, as there doesn't really seem to be a lovable person in Rap/Hip-Hop/R'nB.
        And theres certainly no quiet one, so no George.
        Don't really want to include Kanye West, as I think him and Puff Daddy/P.Diddy are one-and-the-same - too much bling and posh suits.

Comment

Jay Z is so mainstream he's being emulated by Obama.

Comment

So this is the gentleman who made, by all accounts, $100m dollars by releasing a record where he came up with the genius moment of rapping over someone else's music, "I have ninety-nine problems an' I feel bad for you son, I've got ninety-nine problems but a Bitch ain't one"?

And all the people who are on the music board here critiquing his music live in what, at best, three-bed semis in pretty crap English towns?

The world is fucked to hell.

Comment

No. Jay-Z is the acceptable face of mediocrity. Somehow that post got misplaced. As for That '70s Show I've watched it a few times with Mrs. House Cat who says that she knows those people. In fact she went to school with them. I think you had to live in US 'burbs in the 70s to get it. I think there is a similar problem with Wayne's World. I have colleagues here who swear that they know all the characters in Wayne's World.

Comment

I don't whether this helps but I am in a terraced two bedroom house. It's rented as well

Comment

Can't think of a Ringo, as there doesn't really seem to be a lovable person in Rap/Hip-Hop/R'nB.
                  And theres certainly no quiet one, so no George
                  Could Andre 3000 be the Ringo and Big Boi be the George Harrison?

Comment

Jay-Z is all over the political blogs today - Obama made a nice "dog-whistle" move by miming a "dirt off your shoulder" gesture straight out of a Jay-Z video in discussing what he thought of the questions he was asked at the debate the other night...

Comment

Andre 3000 should be a proper movie star soon, if there's any justice.

Comment

Kuchner was in the worst film I have endured in recent years, 'European Vacation...or Honeymoon...or something' which accompanied part of an insomniac night in a hotel room for me. Truly dreadful.

Comment

That move always makes me think of the 1960s kid dancing in front of his telly in Andre 3000's Hey Ya (two and a half minutes in).

Rogin, your point escapes me. Does Liam Gallagher deserve his millions for the genius moment of whining over a rudimentary version of someone else's music, "I know a girl called Elsa, she's into Alka Selzer"? Or are you suggesting that critics should be multi-millionaires and spend their time critiquing the activities of a singer living in a two-up two-down in Margate?

Comment

Me fond of that last idea.

It's only fair.

Comment

Seems reasonable to me too.

Comment

As a singer, I always assumed that was the case.

Where do you all live then?

Comment

Working...
                                X